Minimally Invasive Surgery-Possible????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting that Chris,
    I haven't spoken out about this minimally invasive approach mainly because of lack of knowledge on my part, but I can only say that even though I have had to have a minor revision ( more like a tune-up), I am so glad I had the tried and true approach to my scoliosis surgery. When it comes to a twisted degenerated, lumbar spine, I want my Surgeon to be able to see exactly what is going on when he is operating on my body. Just because one Doctor, or even a few, thinks his newer method is so much better than the tried and true, I wouldn't necessarily believe him, and unless I actually had that type of surgery done on myself, I certainly would not be touting it as the way to go. Too much is at stake here and if someone wants to be a guinea pig, so be it, but don't be claiming it as the procedure for others to have just because so and so said. Sorry Jess and I know you don't like Dr. Hey, so you probably don't value his opinion, but since his opinion agrees with my surgeon's, I do value his opinion. BTW, it is not muscle that bleeds so much, it is bone, especially in us older women. And just two weeks after my last surgery, whatever muscle was cut to get to my spine is already healed.

When my husband had his prostatectomy done the open and tried and true way, he lost no blood and he is completely cured. At about that same time, a less invasive approach was beginning to be done. No way would we have consented to have him have the less invasive approach done since there were no long term studies done at that time.

If I have offended anyone, I am sorry. I just had to get this off my chest.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

i have several reasons for not respecting any of Dr Hey's opinions...and that has not changed

the patient referred to did not have the lower lumbar done, as witness reference to problems with L5-S1 (which was not fused)...i will be having L1 to pelvis fused...and there is no one i trust more than Dr Lonner....
      this is the first time that he offered me minimally invasive...and that is what i have been waiting for...it is not the blood loss i was concerned about, which is less with minimally invasive surgery...it is the muscle cutting...that is one thing i do not want...

i have complete faith in Dr Lonner...and i am sure Dr Kessler is excellent as a surgeon as well...Dr Anand is considered to be in the same category...

in the history of medicine, as well as lots of other areas, people have always resisted change...but change is the way of the world, and change has always benefited patients...i do not need to be cut open like a "fillet of fish" to trust what my surgeon can do...arthroscopic surgery has been around for decades...and has been an important advance in many kinds of surgeries...one day, minimally invasive will be the norm...i will be happy to be with a surgeon in the forefront of such an advance!!

i am not offended...my opinion is what it is...and i have faith in medical changes and advances, as i have faith in Dr Lonner!

jess

Comment

Working...
      X