No announcement yet.

I am back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My post was about eating the night after I have my surgery.My surgeon has said nothing to me regarding what to eat or not to eat the day before my surgery. I have to eat according to my diabetic numbers anyway.Now they control my life
    Melissa

Comment

My opinion is, that you probably won't be hungry that first night. I was hungry for the first time on the second day but it seems like most people have no appetite for far longer than that. I was given food when I said I was hungry and ended up with monster constiptation and tummy pain that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I wish I hadn't been allowed food for at least 3-4 days. You expect the hospital to know these things.

I suspect your doctor was attempting to cheer you up a bit with a bit of humour!

Oh and in hospital, remind each new nurse/doctor who sees you, that you are diabetic (or is it pre-diabetic?) Because that changes things somewhat. They might give you intravenous feeds until you're eating normally. And once back on solid food, remember to stick to low GI foods. The stress of the surgery *might* raise your sugars again.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

eating after surgery

Melissa
        Wow! Did I ever misread your post! Sorry about that!
        I think I agree with Jennifer when she said your doctor was probably trying for a little humor with you.

I have no memories of that night after my surgery and just a few hazy ones of the entire next day until I was moved from ICU at 4:00 AM. Eating was not uppermost in my mind and on Day 3 when one of the docs came in and said, "Good News! You can have clear liquids starting this afternoon!" I had read on here so much about illiuses that I wouldn't believe him and refused to even eat ice chips until way after dinner that night.

With your diabetes issues you will probably need to address that before the surgery and the nursing staff will manage your care while you are unable to do so for yourself. I went through extensive pre-op stuff at the hospital 5 days before my surgery - that would be a good time to do it.

I'm sorry for the miscommunication!
        Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
        Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
        Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
        A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
        Achieved +70% Correction
        Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
        New Spine 03/19/2009
        New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

I agree with you telling the docs and nurses when you're in the hospital and reminding them you're diabetic. My blood sugar levels rose very high after my surgery and they were giving me insulin every day, and pricking my finger every day asking me if I was diabetic - until finally my blood sugars went down - I have no idea why that happened to me, but probably a good idea to let the nurses know.
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
            I agree with you telling the docs and nurses when you're in the hospital and reminding them you're diabetic. My blood sugar levels rose very high after my surgery and they were giving me insulin every day, and pricking my finger every day asking me if I was diabetic - until finally my blood sugars went down - I have no idea why that happened to me, but probably a good idea to let the nurses know.
            Thanks For telling me that.I will most definitely tell them that I am a diabetic

Melissa

Comment

Working...
            X