No announcement yet.

% of people who are happy after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for writing, Susie. It does seem that in the past year or so there's been a surge of ultra-fast recoveries, and I've wondered about it myself. I have to say that I agree with your overall assessment of the surgery -- glad I had it done, life's good, but it hasn't been quite what I expected either. At almost three years post-op, I'm pretty sure I've "peaked" -- my biggest improvements came between one and two years.

I wonder if surgeons are getting better and better at fusion technology. I know I've seen less anterior incisions than I used to, and certainly less thorocoplasties. I think the increased use of BMP has also speeded up fusion times, so that people seem to regain their flexibility and return to normal activities more quickly.

Hhmmm...Interesting to think about.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hey Chris
      the newer minimal invasive...which used to be used for thoracic, i believe, but now is also used for lumbar...involves less cutting of muscles, less blood loss....a little less trauma to body...that is what i will be doing....i've kinda been waiting for someone on east coast...who takes my insurance...to do this...as doctor in CA doesnt take it....
      low and behold....it is my NYC surgeon who has followed my curves for over 5 years...so although a year ago the talk was of the full open surgery...what i call "filet of fish"...here he is now agreeing to minimal invasive....2 or 3 small incisions on side...then poking thru muscles in back...equivalent of relatively short incision...compared to full open cutting....not perfect...but better....

it used to be that surgeons would say..."oh no, you dont qualify for that...your curves are too bad"...or too...something....not any more...

i think that all surgery improves over time...and scoliosis surgery will as well....just a matter of time....

jess

Comment

Chime..chime

First of all, I want to say that my husband and I did question about not lengthening the fusion to the sacrum but we were assured that the remaining discs were healthy. We trusted the doctor's expertise and continue to do so. He has been a member of SRS for years. He did not see a need. The surgery was successful in that now I'm straight. It's just coping with persistent pain. Kept telling myself for a long time that I was healing. But I knew something was wrong when I found I could not even tolerate water therapy. For some reason arthritis set in very quickly in my case. I consider myself fortunate that I don't have any other health concerns.
        So I guess I posted yesterday morning to try to find ideas from members about coping with it. I would never try to dissuade anyone that needed this surgery from it. Most are successful and I love reading the inspiring stories.
        Thanks all!
        CSC
        Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
        S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Hi csc
          excuse me for saying this...but i wont consider my surgery successful if i am straight but in excessive pain...my surgeon told me...no guarantees...but he expects me to be in less pain than before surgery...and maybe alot less...

of course, alot of my pain is from degenerative discs...which will be cleaned up....i think osteotomies and laminectomies will deal somewhat with my spinal stenosis...not sure exactly what they will fix, but i have a vague idea.. i will have another appointment with my husband with me to take notes or record the session...for all details...

i sincerely hope that there is a solution to the pain that you live with....is there a chance a surgeon will tell you the answer will be to fuse the lumbar portion of your spine? i know it must be awful to consider another surgery, but if that could possibly be the answer...might you consider that?
          what harm would it do to consult a different surgeon now...?

best regards
          jess

Comment

Susie--Good to hear from you and thanks for your post.
            I had several osteotomies with just scoliosis surgery. Maybe that explains my slower recovery. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Chris, What do you mean when you say you "peaked?" How are you feeling now? I suppose with age, we have to expect some setbacks.

I am so anxious about have this surgery since I have no pain now and a very good quality of life. My only issue is that I sometimes get winded after exercise, but I can walk a mile or two easily. I do have quite a severe kyphosis and am going to have osteotomies and the like. Cosmetic improvement is definitely a part of my decision.

How long does this "post surgery fatigue" usually last? I'm so worried about a really long recovery.

I am having a minimally invasive side procedure for the anterior release, then a fully open posterior procedure. I am also encouraged by the wonderful recoveries that I've been reading about. It's good to have a reality check and to realize it's not so easy for everyone.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                Linda--
                So is being fused to the pelvis actually farther than S1? I have had mine referred to as to the pelvis (I do have the big iliac? screws into the pelvis) and S1 and recent x-rays locally put it at S2. I think in the end it's all about the same. Guess it is in the end! Thanks for your info. Also, Pooka, I like your idea for another section on the forum. Janet
                Hi Janet...

Well, yes, although they don't actually fuse to the pelvis (usually). The pelvis connects to the spine at the S-I joints, which aren't usually fused. The fixation to the pelvis is meant to keep the L5-S1 level from moving so that fusion can take place.

In the following article, you can see screws from S2 to the pelvis in the second set of images.

http://www.southernarizonaspine.com/...2fixation.html

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                  This thread got me back... the discussion on why there are not that many people saying negative things about their surgeries got to me. I have even had some people mention to me that they were asked to stop posting things that would scare or discourage others.
                  If that statement is true, it did not come from me, and I doubt it came from Joe O'Brien, who is the only other person who does any moderation.

Why do you think people specifically came to you to report that this was happening? Has anyone else had it reported to them?
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda-- it did not come from anyone with authority, but was pressure from an individual or two who felt they were looking out for the best interests of the people on the forum. People didn't "report" it to me, per se, but rather mentioned it in passing... in a PM or email. They weren't complaining about it, just stating they weren't posting much anymore, etc., because of it.
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Joy, by "peaked" I mean that I believe I have seen the last of dramatic improvements in terms of flexibility and overall comfort. I feel good overall; I just have lingering soreness/tightness/numbness (probably scar tissue) around the area where I had a thoracoplasty, and some lumbar stiffness, but it's mild to moderate most days and I can pretty much do whatever I want. I still use an inflatable pillow when I eat out or sit in hard-backed chairs for any length of time, but I no longer take a pillow with me everywhere, like I did for the first year and a half.

I've observed that people who have posterior-only surgeries, or small anterior incisions, recover about twice as fast as those of us who have long anterior cuts -- in my case, from hip to shoulder blade (I like Jesse's "filet of fish" term -- I call it my shark bite!). One thing's for sure, though -- I am fused rock solid and my cosmetic result is beyond excellent.
                      Chris

Comment

Linda--Thanks for that information. When I have more time I'll take a better look at the x-rays. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                          Linda-- it did not come from anyone with authority, but was pressure from an individual or two who felt they were looking out for the best interests of the people on the forum. People didn't "report" it to me, per se, but rather mentioned it in passing... in a PM or email. They weren't complaining about it, just stating they weren't posting much anymore, etc., because of it.
                          Odd that no one ever mentioned anything to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                            Joy, by "peaked" I mean that I believe I have seen the last of dramatic improvements in terms of flexibility and overall comfort. I feel good overall; I just have lingering soreness/tightness/numbness (probably scar tissue) around the area where I had a thoracoplasty, and some lumbar stiffness, but it's mild to moderate most days and I can pretty much do whatever I want. I still use an inflatable pillow when I eat out or sit in hard-backed chairs for any length of time, but I no longer take a pillow with me everywhere, like I did for the first year and a half.

I've observed that people who have posterior-only surgeries, or small anterior incisions, recover about twice as fast as those of us who have long anterior cuts -- in my case, from hip to shoulder blade (I like Jesse's "filet of fish" term -- I call it my shark bite!). One thing's for sure, though -- I am fused rock solid and my cosmetic result is beyond excellent.
                            I also had a long recovery. I don't think I had full energy for a year after surgery. I also had a very long anterior incision. Thankfully, most surgeons (at lease the top surgeons) are no longer using those long incisions.

I also think one's age and fitness plays a big part in recovery.

--Linda

Comment

I was actually very fit at the time of my surgery and therefore sailed through the actual procedure in terms of getting off the respirator, out of ICU, and starting to eat pretty quickly. But recovering from the anterior cut and thoracoplasty knocked me for a loop. The last I heard, Boachie was still doing those incisions occasionally, although I believe he is starting to do the less-invasive "keyhole" approach more often. Oh well, I have to believe I got the surgery that was right for me at the time.
                              Chris

Comment

Linda, Chris, I am having surgery on June 8th and really need to be ready to go back to work in September. I am a teacher without tenure. If I postpone the surgery until next summer, I'll have tenure and my position will be more secure. I am seriously considering postponing it. My curve is 85-90 degrees thoracic.

My surgeon thinks it it "not unrealistic" to think that I'll be able to go back to my 4 day a week job in September. I'm having the minimally invasive anterior release, then an open posterior, an 8 to 10 hour surgery. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts about this. Thanks, Joy

Comment

Working...
                                X