No announcement yet.

I'm Home - YAY!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfectly normal Karen. Especially when you've got a while to wait, it seems to dominate your thoughts for those months. But it gives you time to get things organised and, if your pain allows, get fit. It also gives you time to read about the many successes so that you can see that your chances of successful surgery and comfortable recovery, are very high, which also helps.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thanks

Jennifer,
      Thank you for my first reply. I need to read FAQ to find out more about how to navigate through the forum. Your fusion is the same as mine. I will be 60 when I have the surgery, which concerns me some, but I think I'm in pretty good shape, but know it could be better.
      I am an avid golfer and play in lots of tournaments. The proper golf swing involves twisting, so I'm sure I'll have to make adjustments and probably won't play at the level I do now. Dr. Lenke said that if I don't have surgery my prognosis is not good (although I'm only in occasional pain now) I know I have one of the best surgeons and have to think I'm making the right decision for my future years.
      Thanks for your reply.
      Karen
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks Karen, yes it's definitely normal to feel terrified prior to surgery. And thank you for the compliment of telling me I have such a positive outlook, believe me, there's been many times before surgery that I didn't feel that way, as many on this forum can probably attest to

I really do believe that the build-up of concern and worry prior to surgery is way worse than anything that happens after that. In a blink of an eye, you are coming round from surgery, and already on the way to recovery. A lot of people on here advised me to think ahead of the future and how much better I'll feel with a stronger straighter back etc., and that really did help wonders for me. Having that positive attitude and a goal to look forward to afterward, really can make all the difference. I still can't believe that I've now had the surgery and it's behind me, it feels like I'm dreaming sometimes. But here I am, and each day gets slightly better, sometimes, I may have a day that feels slightly worse, but then the next day I feel better, so it has it's little ups and downs, but for the most part its ups all the way. I have no regrets with getting this surgery, as I can now look forward to a healthier future with my children, and that's what was foremost in my mind going through with this.

I wish you well, and just know, that everything will turn out just great!
        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Lynette,
          It's great to hear how well you are doing. I'm glad all the anxiety and stress of "upcoming" surgery are behind you. I wishing you a quick recovery and all the best with your family!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Lynette--
            Glad you are doing so well. It is kind of a blink of the eye isn't it after all that waiting.
            Karen--
            Welcome to the group. You are in very good hands with Dr. Lenke! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
            X