No announcement yet.

Advice needed for Radiogirl from her sister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They fed me some sort of "superfood" through my IVs and that probably contributed to my gall stone formation. I read that that happens to approx 11% of us. My ileus went on for 9 days.

Here is something interesting
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/pdf/MEVH...-treatment.cfm

Of course, I like easy solutions, they recommend chewing sugarless gum.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I hope things have improved by now...

I distinctly remember not having anything to eat or drink until they heard bowel sounds, about 2 or 3 days post-op. I didn't "go" til around 9 days post-op, when I was given a suppository -- not very glamerous, but it worked. Once I got home, I took a capful of MiraLax every day while I was on painkillers and that worked great.

I think I would go to the ER if I were that bloated and in that much discomfort.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I remember that when I spoke to Lindy, the nurse at Dr. Boachie's office, she told me I would be sitting up and eating real food on the day after surgery! I'm sure that's what she said. I subsequently decided to go with Dr. Lonner, but I remember being surprised and pleased with that pronouncement. I"m not sure what his policy is. Now, I'm curious to find out.

Comment

Hi Joy, I had no food/drink restrictions from Dr. Lonner once I was out of ICU. In fact, I would have preferred starting a little more gently. The hospital sent a regular diet meal almost from day 1 and NYU's food is not so great, believe me. I didn't eat much for the first few days because nothing was appealing and I was still swollen and bloated. Was on regular liquids by mouth, no IV once I left the ICU. On my trip home we stopped at a TGIFriday's for lunch and I don't think a restaurant meal (even of that quality) ever tasted so good !

Anne in PA
          Age 58
          Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
          T4 to sacrum fusion
          63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
          Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
          Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
            Linda-- do you REALLY think there could be inadequate nutrition??? I know with my ileus (because of it) I was hooked up to an IV for those 5 days. I have often joked about the amount of calories that must be in the IV solution as I gained 8 lbs. during my hospital stay and just ate lightly once my ileus was over. I do gain weight easily, so the weight gain was disappointing but not surprising-- and I do think I was getting plenty of nutrition from the IV... Surely if they know you aren't to eat or drink anything at all, they would provide your needed fluids and nutrition through an IV.

This whole situation is puzzling. Why invite trouble when it is totally avoidable?
            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15741982
            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9654632
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Laura--
              I hope by the time you see this you are OK again. I know when I was there the BM was a big deal before being able to leave the hospital. A few weeks later at home I again had the problem and it was awful. I tried everything and finally Miralax worker for me--or maybe it was a combination of the prune juice, and every other over the counter thing I could find for those few days. It's miserable and I hope it's over soon. I too don't understand how you got out of there without the mandatory BM!! Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

My kids were released without a BM but they damn well would NOT have been released if there were no gut sounds!

BM happened on day 9 or 10 ... insurance never would have covered them hanging around at the hospital past 5-6 days just to have a BM.

Gut sounds was sufficient for release at least for my two kids.
                Last edited by Pooka1; 04-12-2010, 05:51 AM.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks for the info, Linda. I would have thought necessary nutrients would be supplied through an IV if needed.

Laura-- I'm hoping and praying you'll be over this problem soon.
                  Last edited by Susie*Bee; 04-11-2010, 07:30 PM.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

This will do the trick

Tammy has had really no constipation problems due to the fact that they got her going in the hospital.

Follow this link and read up on the medication, totally safe, I am somewhat surprised this has not been addressed with this medicine.....HIGHLY EFFECTIVE...

Toby

Comment

Linda and Toby

Thx for the links. Good info.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Hi Everyone and thanks for your concern and comments. The good news is I FINALLY had my first bowel movement today. It was such a happy moment The reason I think I was discharged from the hospital early was because they had given me an enema which produced just a tiny bit of bowel movement. Even though my stomach was distended. Then nothing happened for several days. On Friday (was discharged Weds) I called back to the Dr. office and Dr. Lenke's nurse said it could be paralytic ileus. I never saw the exray in the office so wasn't sure it showed up on it or not. Her recommendation was to walk. So, then last Saturday I flew home and suffered through til Sunday, when I went to the ER here where I live. They did see a paralytic ileus and gave me 2 enemas one being soap suds and the other was a Fleet enema. They recommended I be admitted to the hospital but I decided to give it one more day before we did that. Last night before bedtime I drank a whole bottle of magnesium citrate and still nothing happened. Then today middle of the day I did an epsom salts enema and that finally did the trick!!! I was afraid I was going to end back up in the hospital if nothing had happened today.

To end on a good note, my back is very straight yet very swollen. I am already so happy even though I had to go through a lot of crap, litterlly!!!

Thanks ... you guys are so valuable and make this process easier to get through.

Laura
                        Laura
                        62 degrees
                        49 yrs. young
                        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Originally posted by TobyT View Post
                          Tammy has had really no constipation problems due to the fact that they got her going in the hospital.

Follow this link and read up on the medication, totally safe, I am somewhat surprised this has not been addressed with this medicine.....HIGHLY EFFECTIVE...

Toby
                          I wonder if this is the same as the brown sugar and water that they give babies for constipation? ( i'm no science prof).
                          Vali
                          44 years young! now 45
                          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                          Post -op - 5 degrees
                          T11 - S1 Posterior
                          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I do hope she feels better soon. I am suffering from constipation right now as I am on pain pills and cannot eat fruit or the bran cereal that was helping keep me regular.

Melissa

Comment

Laura,
                              Wow, wow, wow! You must feel much better now.

Now what do I do with my signature? I never heard of a soap suds enema. Ahhh... there is always something new.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Congratulations on the BM Laura! It's a major step, that's for sure.

Melissa, are you drinking lots of water? My grandmother used to drink a cup of hot water on awakening and swore by it. I'm sure we could come up with loads of old fashioned remedies for diabetics if we thought about it.
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X