Need some advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamie Ann,
    Please make sure you get more than one opinion when considering surgery and also try more conservative techniques such as physical therapy and pain management. I say this because I am one of the few that had complications with my first surgery and had to have a revision 2 yrs later. Things don't always go as expected so if you don't have significant disability or pain, I would also hold off. Good luck in your research and ultimate decision!
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I've pointed out before that I was an exception too. When I stopped visiting the ortho at age 22 (after 3 teenage years in the brace), my curves were both about 30 degrees. I was told that I would never get any worse. Fast forward to 45 yrs old, and they were both 66 degrees.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that it's not an exact science.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
        I've pointed out before that I was an exception too. When I stopped visiting the ortho at age 22 (after 3 teenage years in the brace), my curves were both about 30 degrees. I was told that I would never get any worse. Fast forward to 45 yrs old, and they were both 66 degrees.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that it's not an exact science.
        Well it sounds like some doctors are not viewing this as particularly unusual any more. They must be seeing plenty of patients who were thought stable in the 30s* but still needed fusion pretty early.

I wonder if this will filter into the bracing strategies... does it make sense to put kids in the 30s* in a brace given a reassessed progression potential and given the rates of fusion for ancillary damage to the spine even in smaller curves?

You wore a brace 3 years. I think you said is was a Milwaukee, is that right? My kid only wore a night-time brace one year and I think that was a mistake for many reasons not just this potential new one.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 04-10-2010, 07:09 AM.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Well it sounds like some doctors are not viewing this as particularly unusual any more. They must be seeing plenty of patients who were thought stable in the 30s* but still needed fusion pretty early.

I wonder if this will filter into the bracing strategies... does it make sense to put kids in the 30s* in a brace given a reassessed progression potential and given the rates of fusion for ancillary damage to the spine even in smaller curves?

You wore a brace 3 years. I think you said is was a Milwaukee, is that right? My kid only wore a night-time brace one year and I think that was a mistake for many reasons not just this potential new one.
          Yes it was the Milwaukee brace, 23 hrs a day. My youngest child, a girl, is almost 11 yrs old. She has a very slight curve. The the minute she starts to progress, we will jump on it immediately and brace her, due to my history. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't and it doesn't come to that.

Comment

Both my wife and I have scoliosis so we are watching our kids very closely. We've already had my daughter (11) in to see my doctor as she showed sign of a minor curve. There is now a genetic test that can be done which can help the doctor get a feel for the chances of a curve progressing. The point of doing the test is to give the doctor as much advance notice as possible to start treatment early if needed...I reallydont want my kids to have to have the surgery I just had and anything I can do to try and prevent that is worth it to me. It's not an exact test but my doc says if you score at the extreme ends of the test indicating a very high, or very low chance of progression it's apprently pretty accurate. Of course my daughter scored in the middle which didn't really help the doc at all, but it gives us hope her very minor curve won't progress.

Rich
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
            A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
            Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
            Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Originally posted by Nitram View Post
              Both my wife and I have scoliosis so we are watching our kids very closely. We've already had my daughter (11) in to see my doctor as she showed sign of a minor curve. There is now a genetic test that can be done which can help the doctor get a feel for the chances of a curve progressing. The point of doing the test is to give the doctor as much advance notice as possible to start treatment early if needed...I reallydont want my kids to have to have the surgery I just had and anything I can do to try and prevent that is worth it to me. It's not an exact test but my doc says if you score at the extreme ends of the test indicating a very high, or very low chance of progression it's apprently pretty accurate. Of course my daughter scored in the middle which didn't really help the doc at all, but it gives us hope her very minor curve won't progress.

Rich
              As a matter of fact, my 11 yr old daughter had the genetic test almost 4 weeks ago. We are waiting for the results. I really wanted her to have the test, but from what the Dr. tells me, if the 'score' is within a certain (large) range, you don't know more than prior to having the test. I'll post when we get her results, which I hope to be next week.

Comment

I didn't know such a test existed. Three of my 4 girls have scoliosis slightly. The 4th is seeing more progression and is 22. Has anyone else used this test?
                Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                  I didn't know such a test existed. Three of my 4 girls have scoliosis slightly. The 4th is seeing more progression and is 22. Has anyone else used this test?
                  Janet
                  Here are the details:

http://www.axialbiotech.com/patients/learn/scolidx

Comment

Did anyone else participate in the test for this company a few years ago? I had to submit my saliva and some forms, and I believe this was what resulted from that test.

Comment

Originally posted by JamieAnn View Post
                      Did anyone else participate in the test for this company a few years ago? I had to submit my saliva and some forms, and I believe this was what resulted from that test.
                      I did. I think a lot of us did.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Debbei--Thanks so much. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                        X