Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post op: will I stand straighter without trying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks, everyone...for the replies..much appreciated!

i kinda tried it while sitting at the computer...i figured out that i would sit REALLY straight up...but i guess with the rods, that wouldnt make me tired the way it does now!

Ed..i can tell how mobile you are! the skiing, the scuba diving...and now i know how you could look like you swiveled towards the camera in that pix!

i have alot to discuss with the NYC surgeon on april 12th..

thanks again

jess

Comment

True Confessions

Recently I took an 18" dowel and tucked one end into the back waistband of my jeans, going up my spine and duct taped it to about T2. Walked and sat around like that for awhile. I know, pretty weird, but I think I might be on to something. Might be harder with kyphosis, which is the one thing I don't have...I have lordosis at 80.

I think these people are telling the truth. It's not so bad.
      Amy
      58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
      Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
      Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
      2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
      Exercising to correct

Comment

thanks for all the great replies guy! much appreciated.. any others out there with kypho?

hopefully my breathing will be better as well. my breathing is much better if i stand up straight and tall, but it's still not as free due to the muscles i have to stiffen and tighten up to get straight. if i slouch and let it go, instead of the chest opening when i breathe, my lungs open up in my back and my back expands. Also have much stress going on in my stomach from slouching. I'm guessing a successful surg will help with this i hope.

my neck has been very tense/stressed for the last week or two and i can't get it comfortable. never had this going on before. classic kypho neck going on! too bad my curve is getting worse (info is in my main thread if interest). i'm leaning toward surgery more and more every day even though i don't want it, i think it needs to be done. finally have a great doc as of a few months ago. i'm in good hands with him.. take care guys, thanks again!
        Last edited by Ryy; 08-01-2010, 03:09 PM.
        Age 25 male
        Upstate NY
        T3-L3 fusion for 80's degrees kyphosis
        Anterior 9/21/10 & posterior 9/28/10
        Post op degrees soon to come

Comment

Im fused T-1 to L-1.

I was 59 pre op, 44 post op Kyphosis.

I have a C-shape hump now and do not stand up straight. I have to hyper extend my hips.

Im constantly fight the rods in my back. Im miserable.

My surgery was at the Hey Clinic in Raleigh Durham, NC

I can only image how good it would feel to stand up straight without effort.

Comment

Hi kyphosis
            i am so sorry that you are struggling in such pain! is there any chance that you could go to someone for a consult...a scoli surgeon who knows revision...it just seems that, after going thru so much with surgery, you deserve a decent quality of life!!
            i saw my surgeon April 12th and he offered minimal invasive for me...L4-S1 and T11-sacrum...with pelvic fixation...this is a big change from my visit to him a year ago! dont know if i have a touch of kyphosis...i do need 2 osteotomies and 2 laminectomies...i know i do have listhesis (l2 on L3, L3 on L4), spinal stenosis, rotation, arthritis of spine, and degenerative disc disease....

i really hope that your insurance will pay for a consult with another scoli surgeon...you shouldnt have to settle for your current surgery results!

best regards
            jess

Comment

i'm a certified pilates instructor, and i have to say this: after my surgery, i thought my posture was perfect and i didn't have to "try" to stand up straight anymore. but i was wrong! i learned this during my pilates certification, when we were doing postural assessments on each other. while my spine is technically "stuck" in neutral (proper) alignment/ideal posture, this does not mean that my shoulders are automatically pushed down and back into their ideal position. i have a tendency to round my shoulders, so even though i look like i have perfect posture all the time, i don't. in particular, because my shoulders are so weak from having scoliosis for a long time AND after going through the surgery, i have to work especially hard to keep my shoulders depressed & retracted. also, i have to be sure not to arch my lower back (which is NOT fused), and so that's easy to do. but, an overly extended back is lordotic, and so is not proper posture. ideal posture should maintain the natural position of one's spine. slight extension in the cervical and lumbar spine, and slight flexion in the thoracic.

Comment

Jess--
                I was told today by Dr. Lenke I could try pilates and needed to work on flexibility which I'm glad of. Since I'm fused to S1 with the iliac bolts or whatever I just can't imagine that I can do much. Does it work if you've fused completely top to bottom? I'd love to get back to it. Thanks for your help. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Definitely, there is so much you can do in Pilates without extending, flexing, bending or rotating your spine in any way. I didn't get back into Pilates until I was 6 months post-op just to be safe, but everything is great now and there is only little I can't do. Even though I'm fused T2-L1, and most of my lumbar spine is technically "free," I still don't want to overly use that region and put unnecessary wear and tear on it. So, I avoid just about all spinal articulation exercises...and still get a great workout! Personally, planks, shoulder bridges, side leg kicks/circles, toe taps, and general arm, leg, shoulder/back and chest work on the Pilates Reformer are my favorite. I suggest you take Pilates at a physical therapy clinic. Many PT clinics these days have a Pilates-integrated rehab program set up.

Comment

Originally posted by jesscv View Post
                    Definitely, there is so much you can do in Pilates without extending, flexing, bending or rotating your spine in any way. I didn't get back into Pilates until I was 6 months post-op just to be safe, but everything is great now and there is only little I can't do. Even though I'm fused T2-L1, and most of my lumbar spine is technically "free," I still don't want to overly use that region and put unnecessary wear and tear on it. So, I avoid just about all spinal articulation exercises...and still get a great workout! Personally, planks, shoulder bridges, side leg kicks/circles, toe taps, and general arm, leg, shoulder/back and chest work on the Pilates Reformer are my favorite. I suggest you take Pilates at a physical therapy clinic. Many PT clinics these days have a Pilates-integrated rehab program set up.
                    Can you do mat work? Does that put strains on the spine?
                    62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
                    45/50 year 2000
                    36 yrs old
                    Considering, researching surgery for the first time
                    S. California
                    http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

yep! i take a pilates mat class 3x a week. again, i just let pain be my guide and avoid the spinal articulation exercises. there are modifications you can do for just about any movement, that still maintain the integrity of the exercise. the same muscles are targeted and are just as effective.

Comment

Working...
                      X