Copper
    Keystone
    A-Basin
    Loveland
    Winter Park, Mary Jane
    Steamboat
    Breckenridge
    Vail

Ive been to approx 95 areas in North America and Canada. I remember every one of them.
    I also heli skied in British Columbia in 1995. Chasing powder, watching for storms all these years.

I never made it to Aspen... Maybe some day. Ive been around the Tahoe basin since 1982.
    Dec 11th, oh no, were in trouble now...
    Comedy is a stress reducer. Sometimes its necessary.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Welcome, from me as well foofer,

I couldn't help myself from cracking up when you said "I have found my people". Sounded to me like you were looking for aliens. Which some of us do appear to be "out there".

I know how I felt when I found these people, and was instantly addicted.

Good Luck,
      Shari

Comment

I know that I felt that way when I found this forum.

We really should have a get together

A thread should be started as to where we live

Is any one else interested?

Melissa

Comment

Shari - that is hilarious - looking for our people "looking for aliens". I sure feel like an alien a lot of the time
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

It reminded me of Moses, leading his people from bondage....

I guess I was in bondage for awhile....
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I've often felt like an alien, and it always worked best to pretend otherwise...

I think one of the hardest things about scoliosis is that it's such a challenge to talk to people about it. On the surface, I look pretty normal, I can be active, although I am Captain Careful about most that I do. If I tell people I am considering surgery and then describe the surgery, they pretty much act like I have taken leave of my senses. Then I get a lot of advice on cures and therapies, most of which I've tried. It's all well-meaning, but misguided, so it's nice to find people who speak my language.

Here at the promised land, here on Mars....

Amy
              Amy
              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
              Exercising to correct

Comment

Amy,
                First, welcome! There is always room at this table for more!

It is amazing to try to explain the challenges and complexities of scoliosis to anyone that does not experience it. Prior to my first surgery, I had great posture but tons of pain. Apparently I managed to put on a brave face, because when I explained to some co-workers that I would be off work for quite some time and told them what I was having done one of them actually asked if the surgery was elective. Really?!?! Yes, I'm going to go through all that by choice because I need a long vacation! Even my mom, my husband, my kids and my best friend, bless their hearts, still don't get it. So this is MY place to come for companionship, comfort, sanity, solace, information and understanding. I found this beautiful utopia about 6 months before my surgery and learned more from the wonderful and intelligent people here than I did from any website and my surgeon put together. I told my friend yesterday that several of my friends are having surgery this week. And you all are my friends. And I thank you all for that.

By the way, I absolutely LOVE Captain Careful! That's fantastic!
                Last edited by allycat; 03-30-2010, 10:45 AM.
                Becky
                51 years old
                Married 28 years
                3 kids ages 23, 21 and 17
                Fused T-10 through L-5 June, 2008
                Developed junctional kyphosis, flat-back and sagittal imbalance
                Revision Surgery June 27, 2011
                Fused T-4 thru S-1 with pelvic anchor screws
                Take 2 revision October 15, 2013 to locate source of continued pain
                Pseudoarthrosis at L-3, 2 screws removed

Comment

Amy -- So glad to read your post. I get the same reactions from family, but friends in particular. When I talk with them, I question myself and feel like I shouldn't be considering the surgery. I, too, am very careful not to do things that tend to make my pain worsen. Thank goodness my husband is with me and knows the pain I'm having so he gives me validation. I know they are well-meaning, but it hurts more than it helps.
                  Glenda
                  Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                  Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                  Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                  A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                  Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                  Pleased with outcome

Comment

Ditto!

I was nodding my head in agreement while reading through these posts...it IS difficult to describe the scoliosis we have all lived with for so many years before 'electing' to have these surgeries. We live our lives being active like everyone else and put on a front when the pain gets worse, until when we finally start talking about it, those around us are taken by surprise that we HAVE scoliosis and that we are considering something so drastic as surgery.

I put off surgery for as long as I could and most people did not know the extent of my suffering. Even my husband until the last year or so. Once I made the decision to DO something about my pain, I felt empowered. It was the right decision for me and I would do it again in a second if I had to do it all over again!

I need to say Welcome to you Amy! Nice to see you here - you're in the right place if you're looking for support and answers - and a lot of laughs too!
                    Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                    Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                    Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                    A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                    Achieved +70% Correction
                    Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                    New Spine 03/19/2009
                    New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Wow!!!! Getting some goosebumps here. This should turn out to be one of the more often read threads. Every single post here, is a slice of insight into the hidden world that we all tend to share.

I am completely blown away, and can't wait to hear more!!! In so many ways, I think at some time or another, we have all felt some kind of alienation from "straight" people. This is a must read, don't ya think???
                      For some crazy reason, I am overly emotional right now???

Shari

Comment

The posts on this thread have definitely struck home for me. I just had to read the ones about the things well-meaning people say to my husband. He was touched as well. Thanks to all of you!
                        Glenda
                        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Originally posted by Shari View Post
                          Wow!!!! Getting some goosebumps here. This should turn out to be one of the more often read threads. Every single post here, is a slice of insight into the hidden world that we all tend to share.

I am completely blown away, and can't wait to hear more!!! In so many ways, I think at some time or another, we have all felt some kind of alienation from "straight" people. This is a must read, don't ya think???
                          For some crazy reason, I am overly emotional right now???

Shari
                          Shari,
                          It's an amazing feeling when you find you aren't alone in any particular situation. And to find that there are others that can relate, truly relate instead of just saying "Really. Wow that sucks." when you try to explain your situation, IS emotional. Alone is an awful place to be and when you finally find that you aren't alone it's such a relief! For me, it felt like I found a family I had been looking for most of my life and it was fantastic!
                          Becky
                          51 years old
                          Married 28 years
                          3 kids ages 23, 21 and 17
                          Fused T-10 through L-5 June, 2008
                          Developed junctional kyphosis, flat-back and sagittal imbalance
                          Revision Surgery June 27, 2011
                          Fused T-4 thru S-1 with pelvic anchor screws
                          Take 2 revision October 15, 2013 to locate source of continued pain
                          Pseudoarthrosis at L-3, 2 screws removed

Comment

Amy,
                            I sent you a private message, but I live in CO, too...so let me know if you have any questions... =)

Comment

When I first started reading here, I ran across a post from a young woman- don't remember her name- who talked about scoliosis as "the silent disability".
                              She was on the threshold of surgery and she let it fly about all the years of carrying this condition. I was deeply moved and started to really let myself think about it and all the moments and comments through the years. Stuff comes up to be healed and usually brings some tears.

Another factor is what I think of as the "fraud factor"- not even believing yourself that you "have something" that needs to be reckoned with. And then it's compounded by reactions of others. It's an awful feeling to not be believed, or to sense doubt or be second-guessed.

Mostly I try to stay quiet about myself in my immediate world. A few years ago at my present job, I decided to let my manager know what I was dealing with so that I would have someone in my corner, understanding that I have challenging days and might not be comfortable moving furniture around or heavy lifting. I still get uppity though and try to do things that I should not. We are our own worst enemies sometimes!

I've been quite the crying girl since reading here....every time someone goes to surgery= tears. Every time someone is having a tough day=tears. Every time someone reports in terrific news= tears. So a lot of weeping. Have to change to waterproof mascara. I feel like Naomi Judd, dabbing at my eyes all the time.

Thanks everyone!
                              Amy
                              Amy
                              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                              Exercising to correct

Comment

Amy -- Thank you! So glad you're here. I even had a physical therapist tell me that much of our problem was psychological. So I really started to question whether the pain was a bad as I thought it was.
                                Glenda
                                Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                                X