Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi five

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
    ...I wanted to comment on this based on my experiences receiving massage - and my current ones as I prepare to change careers: I'm in school right now to become a massage therapist ... specializing in pain management for pre/post-op scoliosis.
    As patients, we might think the therapist should be focusing on a certain area ... like where we actually *feel* the pain. In reality, that's rarely the case...
    Hi Pam,
    congratulations on your new career choice. Nice move!
    I like your clear examples of how the rhomboids can send signals about imbalances elsewhere in the body. Very clear and very true.

Comment

Originally posted by sillycoffeegirl View Post
      I have done a few sessions of rolfing and I loved it. I thought it felt sooo good.
      Good to hear!
      Is there something that stands out to you about your sessions that you particularly liked?

Comment

I had my first Rolfing session this past Saturday. I searched and searched for weeks to find a Rolfer in my area. Finally found someone on the internet who comes to the Cleveland area once a month and has been rolfing over 20 years. He sees patients in a room at the Super 8 Motel. I kid you not. So I dragged my boyfriend with me and off we went. The scene was bizarre! Peeling wallpaper, bad smell in the hotel... I almost turned around and left but I'm glad I didn't. The session was great. I felt a little straighter after wards. I made another appointment for next month. It wasn't too painful. When he was working on areas that were tight, it was a little intense but no different that how a deep tissue massage feels.

Comment

Reneemarie ...

A qualified Rolfer wouldn't come to town/schedule a first time patient once a month. Results aren't realized that way.

Was the Super 8 room not a clue?

The first ten sessions are usually done *weekly*. While I'm sure there are exceptions, the methodology you experienced is questionable - at best ...

Save your money for someone who knows what they're doing.

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam...

I found him on Rolf.org. His status is: Certified Advanced Rolfer, Active. He's been coming to Cleveland to treat patients for over 10 years. I checked his references and actually did a background check. While the location left much to be desired, I try to keep an open mind because you never know what you might find. I'm glad I went.

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
              Reneemarie ...

A qualified Rolfer wouldn't come to town/schedule a first time patient once a month. Results aren't realized that way.

Was the Super 8 room not a clue?

The first ten sessions are usually done *weekly*. While I'm sure there are exceptions, the methodology you experienced is questionable - at best ...

Save your money for someone who knows what they're doing.

Pam
              Pam,
              I really think your feedback here is out of line. I think that if Renee Marie felt satisfied with her experience that's the most important clue. Your body knows what it needs and it is important to trust what it's telling you. In RM's case it seems she knows how to listen.
              Yes it is advisable to receive sessions closer together in time like once every one or two weeks, however if that is not an option, like in this case, once a month will have to do. and it will be just fine. I've had clients that couldn't come more frequently than once a month and they were still very happy with the results of the sessions.

Julia

Comment

Good for you

Originally posted by reneemarie View Post
                I had my first Rolfing session this past Saturday... I almost turned around and left but I'm glad I didn't. The session was great. I felt a little straighter after wards. I made another appointment for next month.
                Sounds good!

Comment

What if she went to the hotel room without her boyfriend? I would not have Rolfing done by the opposite sex.
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I often find the comments on these forums to be odd and out of line. In my opinion, it seems that some people who have had spinal surgery are quick to jump on those who are seeking alternative treatments. Could that be the case? I surely hope not.

Comment

Bias against alternative treatments on Forum?

I often find the comments on these forums to be odd and out of line. In my opinion, it seems that some people who have had spinal surgery are quick to jump on those who are seeking alternative treatments. Could that be the case? I surely hope not.
                      Thay's not the case at all. Most of us who had spinal surgery already tried alternative treatments without success. Without success meaning: stopping progression or permanent reduction in the curve of adults. This is the sad truth. Who wouldn't avoid surgery if a better method had worked!!!Alternative treatments did help with pain.

Regarding Rolfing. I found it wonderful post-operatively to help with scarring and muscle tightness. My certified Rolfer, a lady, said it would not be able to straighten out scoliosis.
                      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I had my first Rolfing session this past Saturday. I searched and searched for weeks to find a Rolfer in my area. Finally found someone on the internet who comes to the Cleveland area once a month and has been rolfing over 20 years. He sees patients in a room at the Super 8 Motel. I kid you not. So I dragged my boyfriend with me and off we went. The scene was bizarre! Peeling wallpaper, bad smell in the hotel... I almost turned around and left but I'm glad I didn't. The session was great. I felt a little straighter after wards. I made another appointment for next month. It wasn't too painful. When he was working on areas that were tight, it was a little intense but no different that how a deep tissue massage feels.
                        Good for you Renee! Hope you will keep us posted on this & wishing you all the best.

Comment

Thanks Mamamax. Hope you're doing well.

Comment

Working...
                          X