Curvature Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    That person would have a right rib hump and a right lumbar concavity.
    ok - please don't laugh at this, and thank you for your patience. This is very important to me.

If someone (like me) has a left rib hump - are we saying .. that for certain this is from either (1) a left thoracic or (2) a left thoracolumbar curve (regardless of any extra lumbar curvature)?

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
      ok - please don't laugh at this, and thank you for your patience. This is very important to me.

If someone (like me) has a left rib hump - are we saying .. that for certain this is from either (1) a left thoracic or (2) a left thoracolumbar curve (regardless of any extra lumbar curvature)?
      yes, you got it !!!!

Comment

maxene, have to go now but i emailed you dr l email address. i think you should check with him about your curves before doing the scroth exercises. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleK View Post
          If you have left thoracolumbar curve that means you have one large c shaped curve that encompasses your thorasic & lumbar spine. am i correct here linda?
          wouldn't the left lumbar curve cause right lumbar concavity & left lumbar would be convex?
          yes

If you have left thoracolumbar curve that means you have one large c shaped curve that encompasses your thorasic & lumbar spine. am i correct here linda?
          This becomes difficult, because it depends on other things. Sometimes, it's just a lot easier to use the King classification:

Type I is a double concave deformity in which the lumbar curve is larger and more rigid than the thoracic curve.
          Type II is a double concave deformity in which the thoracic curve is more rigid.
          Type III is a thoracic curve.
          Type IV is a long thoracic deformity that tilts into the curve.
          Type V is a double thoracic curve that tilts into the concavity.

I would assume that Maxene has a type B curve.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think they would have a left thoracic, left double thoracic, left double major, left triple major, left thoracolumbar/lumbar, or left thoraclumbar/lumbar main thoracic curve.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Attached are drawings of the King classification types.

Comment

Thanks ladies .. i believe we have at least established this about Maxene:

Question:

Answer: Yes

I must say, now that i'm actually taking charge of understanding my care that the experience is a bit confusing .. so many possibilities, these curves!

Comment

If at all helpful, I have a King type II curve. I have a right thoracic rib hump and no waistline on the left side.

Comment

Is this looking at the patient from the back or front?

Comment

Thanks ladies .. i believe we have at least established this about Maxene:

Question:

Answer: Yes

I must say, now that i'm actually taking charge of understanding my care that the experience is a bit confusing .. so many possibilities, these curves!
                      That's because it's super confusing. Did you ever post your xrays? I should be able to tell you what you have.

Comment

I think they would have a left thoracic, left double thoracic, left double major, left triple major, left thoracolumbar/lumbar, or left thoraclumbar/lumbar main thoracic curve.
                        Yeah - point being any number of left curves .. right?

Comment

That's because it's super confusing. Did you ever post your xrays? I should be able to tell you what you have.
                          Still working on getting the digitals.

Comment

Is this looking at the patient from the back or front?
                            From the back. In other words, the B curve would have a right-sided rib hump.

If you're correct about your curve, you have the mirror image of B.

--Linda

Comment

thank you .. yep - looks like with a left rib hump, would have to be a mirror image of B. Thanks Linda .. this is all great information. Maybe most know these things, but i sure didn't. I need the simplified version of things ya know - have not found that book yet :-)

Rib hump - a major indication of curvature direction (left or right). Classifications codes - viewed from patient back. These may seem simple but they are major in trying to understand one's condition vs relying on others (and lets face it human error is always a factor that may surface). So, good to know these things.

Thank you again.

Comment

Linda,

Looking at that it looks like I have an 'E' classification? My preop xray is below in my sig lines.
                                Last edited by Qikdraw; 07-04-2009, 02:54 PM.
                                Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                                Still have 57 degree curve
                                2 Harrington rods
                                Luque method used
                                Dr David Bradford
                                Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                                Preop xray (with brace on)
                                Postop xray

Comment

Working...
                                X