Clear Institute vs. Schroth Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
    The insanity began (txmarinemom), when you very early on - called me a shill (definition, fraud/liar), i am neither fraud or liar. I came in here happy - that was my mistake, which i take full responsibility for.
    Mamamax,

Please note the post I cited was #9 in your first thread. I can repost that thread in its entirety (before you started deleting what you said) if you want to debate I wasn't initially supportive of you.

I'd rather not go there, but I do have the original version (as you know), and will be happy to refresh your memory with the truth.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
      Just wanted to say thanks MissEmmy - your posts have me looking into Schroth more than i would have if not for your comments. I've chosen a good program for me over the next two years and think i may have even been given some Schroth exercises to do along with my bracing protocol. Seems like it anyway, will check in a visit i have on Friday with my doc. Was reading the material found at the clinic web site in Germany, seems this has been successful for some following fusion as well.

Guess you could call me not a good candidate for surgery either, based on many things and as the condition is a life long challenge (for all of us), it's good to know about these things. The 3D perspective is a good one (i think). When you saw Dr. Maramarco, was there discussion of right lateral breathing? Just curious. My doc also has me do an exercise that when "in position" my spine appears to not be effected by scoliosis. Here's the link to the clinic in Germany in case you don't have it: http://www.scoliosistreatment-schroth.com/

I would like to hear from people using this as well (funny, i may be using some of those exercises and don't even know it - will find out Friday).
      MissEmmyF,

Guess what? The exercises i am doing are definately Schroth! Found out today in a visit to my doctor. He was recently certified at the Schroth Clinic in Germany and he is going back in September to learn more. Seems the folks in Germany have been onto such things for over 80 years. Anyway, my curves result in a rather locked up left rib cage - and while only using the right angle breathing method for a few weeks, it is certainly making a difference for me in terms of chest expansion (i know this because i can both see and feel it).

Comment

oh my gosh! that's so funny - who is your doctor? i'm going back to dr. moramarco the weekend of May 16 for two days of intensive therapy with him to learn the schroth specific exercises for my curve...hopefully it will help with my tightness/stiffness. it seems like the most targeted scoliosis therapy for pain reduction. what types of schroth exercises are you doing, and are you doing any additional non-schroth exercises too? also, i know you are wearing the spinecor brace, so do you take it off when you do your exercises? i know the rigo-cheneau (sp?) brace is the most popular brace that is used in combo with schroth...

Comment

I know - still smiling about that one! Dr. Marc Lamantia is my doctor. I have 5 exercises (all using a special breathing technique), done twice a day, each session takes about 30 minutes. (1) Diaphram Breathing, (2) Right Angle Breathing (supine), (3) Muscle cylinder Standing, (4) Tea-Pot Pose, and (5) Muscle Cylinder Kneeling. These are my only exercises at the moment. Usually do the exercises out of brace in the morning - in brace in the evening now that my wearing time has build up. Was told they could be done in or out of brace, as i recall. Can't wait to hear about your weekend with Dr. Moramarco!

Comment

very interesting! i'm curious to see how you do as you continue to wear the spinecor and do the exercises. keep me posted and best of luck to you! i'll let you know how things go with dr. moramarco after my weekend with him.

Comment

Originally posted by MissEmmyF View Post
              very interesting! i'm curious to see how you do as you continue to wear the spinecor and do the exercises. keep me posted and best of luck to you! i'll let you know how things go with dr. moramarco after my weekend with him.
              Will do - and looking forward to hearing more from you too. Best of all in your journey!

Comment

We've done both - Schroth is better for us

We went to the Clear Institute in Hartford for 10 months - it was good in a lot of ways but we're now doing Schroth and prefer that. Not sure if you're still checking in with this thread - if you are, let me know and I'll go into more detail if you'd like.

Thanks!
                Nancy

Comment

OK, even I have to question this one.

7 posts in a half hour from a first time visitor all touting Schroth. Some replying to threads that are years old.

Mamamax, this is why folks questioned you when you first came. Posts like this from "ems-mom" make it difficult for a sincere person like yourself to be initially accepted at face value.
                  Last edited by concerned dad; 05-07-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

i'm confused...are you talking about me being a first time visitor and touting schroth?

Comment

Not you. He is referring to Ems-mom.

Shill-like.
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
                        OK, even I have to question this one.

7 posts in a half hour from a first time visitor all touting Schroth. Some replying to threads that are years old.

Mamamax, this is why folks questioned you when you first came. Posts like this from "ems-mom" make it difficult for a sincere person like yourself to be initially accepted at face value.
                        CD ~ you know of course, i highly respect you as an informal forum leader. I read the seven posts, and yes there are three posts to older threads. Maybe a new member happy with what she has found (as for her daughter, it works), and anxious to network with others in the non surgical forum? Certainly Schroth does work for many. Thinking too (in one's wanting to share), that using the search feature provided would pull up all threads where Schroth discussion has gone on, would provide a good starting point for someone wanting to make new friends quickly - and in haste, date could certainly not be noticed)?

What would alarm me is something like - someone jumping into the surgical forums and trying to tell others that they should only use non surgical treatments - because fact is, the choices we make (towards remedy) are highly personal and individual (one size does not fit all). What i mean is - what i see is - a new member, who has found a non surgical method that is, at this time, working for her daughter (a method that does have much merit and evidence at the clinic in Germany, in studies, etc) - and she appears to me to be trying to join in with others of like mindedness. At this time (until otherwise shown), i see nothing suspicious, just exuberance - regarding a method used successfully by many (not all). She would probably welcome friendly questions/discussions about the details of treatment. I would like to hear what she may have to say, as i'm using Schroth along with my treatment.

I do tend to take folks at face value (until they prove to me that i should do otherwise), and would not see this as something to be alarmed about at this time. I am slow to condemn (unless need of condemnation is obvious beyond doubt) ... but that is just me and i do understand that everyone is not like me (nor should/could they be). I see nothing at this time that would move me to accuse her of anything other than being anxious to share (and missing dated threads).

Thank you CD, for recognizing me as sincere - i really am .. and once - i too was exuberant and not knowing that this could be seen as a problem. The remedies we seek (surgical or non), the ones we find - the one's we share ... really does take courage, for all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Ems-Mom View Post
                          We went to the Clear Institute in Hartford for 10 months - it was good in a lot of ways but we're now doing Schroth and prefer that. Not sure if you're still checking in with this thread - if you are, let me know and I'll go into more detail if you'd like.

Thanks!
                          Nancy
                          Hi Nancy - i'm very interested in Schroth - new to it, and am only using a few exercises at this time. How long has your daughter been doing them and what has been your success? Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Comment

I do tend to take folks at face value (until they prove to me that i should do otherwise), and would not see this as something to be alarmed about at this time.
                            I too tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt. I could be wrong on this (and if I am, apologies to ems-mom) but I am pretty darn sure that I am not.

I posted to sort of offer an explanation to you by way of comparison about part of the reason you received an unfriendly welcome here by what is generally a friendly group of people.

Just because we were wrong about the figure skater and wrong about you doesnt mean we are wrong about ems-mom (hmmm, suppose there is a slight chance)

Comment

i don't understand what the big deal is...she probably did a search for schroth and posted under the schroth threads that came up because she is happy with her daughter's treatment. is there another explanation i'm not understanding? are you are implying she is associated with schroth in some way and trying to promote it? even if that is the case, i don't see what's so bad about that??

Comment

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
                                I too tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt. I could be wrong on this (and if I am, apologies to ems-mom) but I am pretty darn sure that I am not.

I posted to sort of offer an explanation to you by way of comparison about part of the reason you received an unfriendly welcome here by what is generally a friendly group of people.

Just because we were wrong about the figure skater and wrong about you doesnt mean we are wrong about ems-mom (hmmm, suppose there is a slight chance)
                                Never found you unfriendly CD. And do appreciate your explanation (from you it was always understood, even if not spoken). Sometimes (i find) it is good to be wrong - sometimes not. Anyway - hope ems-mom will share with us.

Comment

Working...
                                X