Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 minutes of balance board per day

mamamax

A central vestibular deficit is present in scoliosis patients. Central vestibular function is worse with larger curves, and the dysfunction is opposite to the curve. Curves with location in the mid-thoracic region demonstrated less central deficit than low-thoracic and lumbar scoliosis curves. The data supports a central vestibular dysfunction in patients with scoliosis
    For that very reason my son uses this balance board 15 minutes per day while he watches SpongeBob. It works his balance, coordination, reflexes and evenly hits his core muscles. Over the past month his balance has improved quite a bit. Scott is only 5 and his record is about 5 seconds without tipping. My 7 year old can stay on top for about 20 seconds or so.

Besides the 15 minutes they do it for fun when they come through the kitchen.

For those who are wondering the vestibular system is what your brain uses for balance.

This is a really easy, healthy thing that could potentially help. It certainly won't hurt.
    Last edited by Dingo; 06-06-2009, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Balance Board + Foam

Hi Dingo

You can place a thin foam mat on the floor under the balance board to slow down its reactions. It would lower the level of difficulty for your sons.

This is how I incrementally increase the level of difficulty in my rehab training for my patients.

Four point keeling on a gym ball is good sensorimotor training, very effective for lower back pain patients too.
      A practitioner seeking answers to enhance the treatment of Idiopathic Scoliosis

Blog: www.fixscoliosis.com/

Comment

• Hey Fix,

What is the scientific evidence for vestibular testing as it relates to scoliosis?

I looked on Quackwatch and it was mentioned but not in relation to scoliosis.

Thanks in advance.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Vestibular testing

Hi Pooka1

Read this a while back, but if I recall correctly it produced nystagmys in the eyes in scoliosis patients and if I am not mistaken, positional nystagmys is more prominent/frequent in progressive curves.

Would have to double check to be sure about the above statement. Don't have my papers at home.

Comment

• Dingo & Fix

Excellent. I'm going to ask my doctor if that balance board may benefit me - if so, will order it - thank you for the link. Very happy to hear your son is improving with it, and that the improvements are both observational & obvious. Thank you Fix, for your comments also.

A while back, i came across a publication that indicated an interesting link between vestibular imbalance and curvature magnitude. The article observed that when either one the conditions improved, the other followed. The why of this - under investigation. Do you or Fix have it? If not maybe Writer does.

An interesting neurological test for vestibular imbalance is the Unterberger Stepping Test. With this, one marches in place for 60 seconds, or 50 steps (eyes closed) in a quiet room with no distractions. An observed rotation of more than 45 º it indicates an ipsilateral lesion of the cerebellum or the vestibular apparatus (1). Use care if trying this test alone - if an imbalance exists, where one ends up can be quite interesting.

(1) http://www.whonamedit.com/synd.cfm/3890.html

Some other interesting links:

Abstract from Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) 2003 Meeting
            Matthew T. Provencher M.D., Derin Wester, Ph.D., Bruce Gillingham M.D.; Naval Medical Center- San Diego, CA. Orthopedic Research and Education Foundation- Resident Research Grant

Conclusion: A central vestibular deficit is present in scoliosis patients. Central vestibular function is worse with larger curves, and the dysfunction is opposite to the curve. Curves with location in the mid-thoracic region demonstrated less central deficit than low-thoracic and lumbar scoliosis curves. The data supports a central vestibular dysfunction in patients with scoliosis

Why do we treat adolescent idiopathic scoliosis?
            What we want to obtain and to avoid for our patients.
            SOSORT 2005 Consensus paper
            http://scoliosisjournal.com/content/1/1/4

A retrospective study of thirty-six cases of vestibular hypofunction in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis
            http://scoliosisjournal.com/content/2/S1/S37

Comment

• Originally posted by FixScoliosis View Post
              Hi Pooka1

Read this a while back, but if I recall correctly it produced nystagmys in the eyes in scoliosis patients and if I am not mistaken, positional nystagmys is more prominent/frequent in progressive curves.

Would have to double check to be sure about the above statement. Don't have my papers at home.
              Are you saying you can look at the eyes and determine something about scoliosis?? Pardon me but that sounds quacky.

I thought there was some claimed connection with ear/balance to scoliosis which would not be quacky on its face but if so, they have yet to sort out cause from effect. I can well imagine a curved spine would compromise balance. I know people with scoliosis who have to do all manner of compensation to get their weight evenly distributed over the horse's centerline to be able to ride correctly.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Nystagmus

Pooka1, a lot of things can sound quaky if we don't know how things work.

If you are looking for nystagmus you have to look at the eyes.

"Nystagmus most commonly causes the eyes to look involuntarily from side to side in a rapid, swinging motion rather than staying fixed on an object or person. Some nystagmuses, however, cause the eyes to jerk sideways or up and down."

And it seems that there is a lot of researchers that deal with quaky stuff and probably wasting their time.

Influence of Different Types of Progressive Idiopathic
                Scoliosis on Static and Dynamic Postural Control
                SPINE 2001 Volume 26, Number 9, pp 1052–1058
                states
                Moreover, idiopathic scoliosis seems to
                be associated with balance dysfunction,28 particularly in
                patients with progressive curves.49 A defect in the vestibular
                system appears to be common in idiopathic scoliosis,
                with semicircular canal examinations showing asymmetric
                sensitivity,37,49 disorders in smooth visual pursuit
                and vestibular-induced nystagmus,21,49 disturbed vestibulo-
                ocular reflex,17 and the spontaneous occurrence
                of nystagmus.

MR Analysis of Regional Brain Volume in
                Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: Neurological
                Manifestation of a Systemic Disease
                JOURNAL OF MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING 27:732–736 (2008)
                states
                In addition, reports
                of a high prevalence of symmetrical horizontal
                and lateral gaze palsy in patients with idiopathic scoliosis
                (38), and abnormal nystagmus response to calorie
                testing (10) suggest that an abnormality of the paramedian
                pontine reticular formation linking preocular motor
                nuclei and vestibular nuclei may be present in many
                AIS patients.

One more thing.
                What is considered "adequate training to begin to start to think about treating scoliosis" in your mind?

Comment

• thinking alike!!!!

Wow...Dingo

Funniest thing...just talking to my husband a few nights ago about how I really thought our daughter should have one of those balance boards(the exact product you showed the link to...weird!!!!!)....felt it was important she work some of those postural support muscles which are so hard to pin point with standard exercises.

As far as vestibular function, I remember in Occupational Therapy school ...testing nystagmus helps determine vestibular dysfunction...pretty sure we would put the kids on a sit and spin....spin 'em like crazy...stop 'em then check the eyes...how the eyes reacted told alot.

Comment

Pooka1, a lot of things can sound quaky if we don't know how things work.

If you are looking for nystagmus you have to look at the eyes.
                    I guess I'm asking if it is rational to look at the eyes and think that might relate to scoliosis. At that point, if the claim is that the eyes reflect balance issues that are directly related to scoliosis, what is the proof?

(snip articles)

What is the underlying claim? The same imbalance that is reflected in the eyes CAUSES scoliosis??? Are they saying problems with balance cause scoliosis?

One more thing.
                    What is considered "adequate training to begin to start to think about treating scoliosis" in your mind?
                    Medical school plus board certification in orthopedic surgery.
                    Last edited by Pooka1; 06-07-2009, 09:23 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by hope404 View Post
                      As far as vestibular function, I remember in Occupational Therapy school ...testing nystagmus helps determine vestibular dysfunction...pretty sure we would put the kids on a sit and spin....spin 'em like crazy...stop 'em then check the eyes...how the eyes reacted told alot.
                      Does it tell anything about scoliosis?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Balance Board

Hi Dingo,

Thanks for the balance board idea (and FixS for the foam tip). Certainly sounds like something my daughter can do with her full-time brace on to help keep her muscles strong. I think I'll get my older son to try it too (Mr. Skinny).
                        mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
                        Providence night brace, increased to 35*
                        Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
                        14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                        11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                        Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
                        latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
                        currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

• Claims

Hi Pooka1

There is no claims of anything, mere statements of associations and correlations. There are things observed in individuals with AIS that is not observed in control groups.

Comment

Hi Pooka1

There is no claims of anything, mere statements of associations and correlations. There are things observed in individuals with AIS that is not observed in control groups.
                            I think just in this thread you have folks "concluding" that balance problems not only are associated in a causal way with scoliosis but pursuing "treatments" to improve balance thinking that will improve the scoliosis.

Fix, you are clearly in the 20% of chiros who "gets" it. You "get" scientific evidence. I suggest you may not fully appreciate how many other chiros and especially the huge numbers of lay people who don't "get" evidence through lack of training or propensity to magical thinking.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• balance training

Pooka1

I think just in this thread you have folks "concluding" that balance problems not only are associated in a causal way with scoliosis but pursuing "treatments" to improve balance thinking that will improve the scoliosis.
                              Once again you go out of your way to inject negativity and create conflict.

I have no idea if balance training alters the course of Scoliosis. I don't know of any scientific evidence that suggests it does. But I know that it's an easy thing that my son enjoys and it might potentially help. Whether he had Scoliosis or not I'd rather have my son watch Spongebob on a balance board than watch Spongebob while he lies on the couch.

If I had 10 years to wait for the clinical study I would, but my son is growing right now. That's why I try easy things that might help and won't hurt.
                              Last edited by Dingo; 06-07-2009, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• balance board + foam

FixScoliosis

You can place a thin foam mat on the floor under the balance board to slow down its reactions. It would lower the level of difficulty for your sons
                                Thanks, you are exactly right and in fact that's what we had to do. Our kitchen has a tile floor and it made it much too difficult. I bought a small foam exercise pad at Target for each balance board.

hope404, mamandcrm, mamamax
                                Let me warn you in advance that balance boards are very addictive. It's hard to walk by my son's without getting on it for a minute or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X