Physical Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
    Is it always necessary to have PT post-surgery? I have not been told I will need it and am wondering.
    Jennifer, it's not always necessary. I wasn't prescribed it, and I didn't need it. My surgeon just allowed me to transition back to normal activity. It also isn't uncommon to read about people who didn't need any early in recovery, but choose (on their own - or at a surgeon's suggestion) to do it later to get over a hump in recovery.

Originally posted by bas2101
    Many people on this forum like to diminish the affects of PT/exercise
    Really.

bas, Schroth is not the ONLY form of exercise/PT. In yet another demonstration of your outstanding ability to generalize, you oversimplify the issue as "If you don't buy into Schroth, you're anti-exercise/anti-PT.".

That's ridiculous.

I have NEVER seen anyone here claim PT and exercise have no value in potential pain management, pre-op conditioning, recovery, or general fitness.

What I *have* seen is an overwhelming majority of us do NOT believe a curve can be CORRECTED by exercise, PT or Schroth. Furthermore, I've yet to see any credible data to prove otherwise. The claim Schroth can do any more than any OTHER method of exercise/PT is nothing more than a 90 year old fairy tale.

As I've said before, if scoliosis could be "cured" by Schroth, none of us would be posting in this section ... unless of course you believe we all have doctors who deliberately withheld the "cure" from us. Honestly? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a few here do.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

I am quite aware that Schroth is not the only form of PT/exercise, which is why I also listed Iyengar yoga. I am also aware that there are other forms of exercise/PT of which I have no knowledge or experience. I merely gave a few names of instructors/studios of whom I have dealt with and who are experienced in working specifically with scoliosis patients, which is what the question asked. I am not endorsing anyone, and leave it up to the individual to decided for themselves by doing their own research. And please...lose the attitude-it gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by bas2101 View Post
        ... And please...lose the attitude-it gets old.
        The irony of your statement apparently escaped you, but thanks for the first real laugh of my day.

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Quote:
          Originally Posted by JenniferG
          Is it always necessary to have PT post-surgery? I have not been told I will need it and am wondering.

Jennifer, it's not always necessary. I wasn't prescribed it, and I didn't need it. My surgeon just allowed me to transition back to normal activity. It also isn't uncommon to read about people who didn't need any early in recovery, but choose (on their own - or at a surgeon's suggestion) to do it later to get over a hump in recovery.

Thanks Pam. Hopefully I won't need it because it's not covered by my insurance.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
          X