How do you dress up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anna,

Try not to worry about if your scoliosis is seen or not. That is the way that you were made. Be proud of being different! You were made different for a reason. Wear the trendy clothes, talk to people about scoliosis so they are better educated about what it is and why people have it. I opted not to get the surgery because I am not in pain and I don't care what people think of me. My family and friends like me for who I am not what I look like. The people that really matter most won't care that your back is crooked.

Comment

One idea if you have an important function to dress for is to buy a dress you like, 1 size larger, and then get it tailored to suit your frame. There are sewing tricks that can be done to make outfits look like they fit better! Also, trendy fasions include asymetrical hemlines. I'd take advantage of that! It'll look cute on you and be in style at the same time. As for colors, try lighter prints. A rule of thumb is smaller prints for smaller frames and larger prints for larger frames. You could also try diagonal strips. As long as the diagonal goes with you shoulder slant it shouldn't look odd or be noticible! Of course the very best idea is to admit that God made you perfect and ignore what other people "might" think. You are wonderful the way you are!!

Comment

I know how you feel. I have a severe case of scoliosis. I can't wear anything tight and I can't stand for anyone to touch my back. I notice normal backs. I am always grateful that it is not worse but I do envy those people with straight backs.

Comment

Hi Lexy

It's amazing that I've noticed straight backs also. When I'm out and I'm always noticing other people's back, especially other women. Always wishing that I could be straight. Its a hard pill to swallow knowing that this is the way we're going to be for the rest of our lives. You would not believe how alone I feel because no one other than my mother, has scoliosis so I never share my feelings with anyone. I know I shouldn't envy anyone but I do envy my friends that have straight backs and can wear the form fitting clothes that I would love to wear. I just don't have the confidence to just wear them anyway because I am so embarrassed about my condition. Sometimes I get disgusted with just being me and looking the way I do. I have even let this keep me from enjoying being around other people at times because I'm afraid someone will notice. Even though I love the spring and summer months, I always look forward to fall and unfortunately the winter months....only so I can wear the big sweaters and jackets. As I've said before in another post, this has even started to affect the way I walk, putting more strain on what seems like my slightly shorter leg, my right leg. This started happening within the past year or so and keeps me from going out even more so. I feel like people notice that I'm walking funny and that something is not quite right with me. I can't believe I feel so free to say these things to all of you 'cause I could never say them to anyone else. You know...just pour out heart and soul about the way I really feel and why I'm not as outgoing as I would like to be.

Comment

Connie,

I am familiar with all of those feelings. You are not alone. I am so glad that we found this group because only someone with scoliosis would understand what we are going through. We understand each other because we have similar symptoms and feelings. I am scheduled to have surgery in November and will depend on this group for emotional support.

Comment

I'm really glad I found this website as well Lexy. Good luck with your surgery in November, I will be praying for you.

Comment

poobody

Felt like I was reading something I wrote. Have a severe curvature, have lived with it as long as I can remember. Had 2 children, good marriage, lost my strong support man 7 years ago. Also worry about what I wear & how am perceived by others. Always feel that if I had a limb gone, would be accepted more. Also look at straight backs, would love to have a day with one. Since I am now older, 67, find I have lots of pain in the lower back, left. My girls & grandchildren are my life, work part-time where I can either stand or sit. Always base everything I do on the weather,{can I wear something that will hide the back} & if it is a sit down or a buffet. Also am venting, but a good place to do it. Would love to talk to others via e-mail.

Comment

Hi everyone, I know that the issue of cloths is a big deal for people who have scoliosis. It was the same for me! I posted an issue similar to this one almost a year ago, and from that I have learned a few things that I would like to pass on to others. The first thing that I learned, was that you have to be confident with your body more so than worry about it. Things happen I was unfortunate to grow up and learn that I have scoliosis, I was diognosed when I was 10 or 11 years old. I never wanted people to see my back, nor touch my back. I had to deal with this issue because my life took me into sports which my doc told me not to quit cause it might make my back muscles stronger. I played sports through out my high school years, but one thing that I had a big deal was changing in the locker room and stretching before practices. Having the other girls see my curve which was noticable when I bent over, scared me.
                  After hearing what others had to say and to hear that they were going through the same things it took my mind off it a little> I can honestly say that I will always be a little paranoied of what others think, but I feel as long as I am confident than there is nothing to worry about! The thing that I am going through now is pregnancy, I'm trying to get preganant now but scared that something might change with my back! Listen to what others have to say on the posts you'll be surprised you might learn somthing new! Thanks Gina

Comment

What degree is your curvature? I have heard that during pregnancy, some curves will progress because of changing hormone levels. The ligaments in your pelvis also expand in preperation for the baby and this is believed to have an effect on your back.

Comment

Working...
                    X