No announcement yet.

Discomfort during sleep...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having an awful time trying to sleep. I just can't find a comfortable position. I toss and turn all night long. Thankfully my husband is a very sound sleeper.

I occasionally use Tylenol pm. Sometimes it helps.......but most of the time I'm still restless.

Comment

Sleep????What's that? I too used to be THE sound sleeper of the century until the last year or two...I thought I was just getting old (a whoppin' 35)...then found last week that above and below my fusion my back has turned into an Anaconda (with a 60 degree curve???) I'm shocked as I never planned to get "checked" for the scoli again...who would have known! The docs thought one fusion would solve me for a lifetime...little did they know I can never be solved (he he).

I may need to try a new bed once I hit the lottery (he he) ...we just bought what I thought was a nice bed a few years back but it may be time again...tempurpedic you say...hmmmm..
      Thanks for the advice.
      Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
      right thoracic 57
      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

always smilin',
        where had you been fused????sounds like just the middle area??
        thks, Lynne

Comment

Have you tried air?

Originally posted by green m&m
          This is going to be a small rant .

I'm sure sleeping/lying down is one of the most comfortable position for most of you...

WELL, in the past few days, I'd wakeup and feel a high level of discomfort in my back, mostly on the most concave point of my curve.

Same bed, same pillows, nothing about my sleeping arrangement has changed to trigger it. In fact, a position I prefer so that my curve is 'straightened' out while I sleep is uncomfortable now. It used to be that if I slept with my body bent toward the curve, I'd feel caved in and felt uncomfortable, now that is the only way I am not in any discomfort while sleeping.

I tried passing it off the first time it happened but this is starting to get annoying. To top it off I feel like my convex side of the curve is extra strong and curvy today... tip me over and i'll probably fall
          My back was giving me a fit about a year to two years ago. I borrowed my "in-laws" air mattress and slept on the floor ..... for weeks....because it worked! Dear Hubby got SO lonely we bought an air mattress and put it on top of our existing mattress....This worked for about a year. Dear hubby couldn't sleep on air, and we got a slow leak, so he bought the memory foam mattress toppers....we tried that on top of our pillow top mattress. (like you say ....that we had slept on for 3-4 years without fail) What ever it was the air mattress was a rather in expensive solution....40 bucks for 12 months (king size bed). We have ditched the memory foam and are back to our regular mattress with pillow top.

Wishing you sweet dreams!

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
            always smilin',
            where had you been fused????sounds like just the middle area??
            thks, Lynne

I was fused from T2-L1 (looking back at my charts)...you would think that'd be something I'd have memorized by now. So now they are talking about putting 2 more rods in...the neck area and below the fusion to the sacrum. We'll see...time will tell...I'm in no rush as I have a 1 1/2 year old, 9 and 10 year old I'm still chasing around Who needs sleep with all that activity

Always Smilin'
            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
            right thoracic 57
            lower lumbar 34

Comment

they can put them in the neck???? I have'nt heard of that

Comment

You know...I didn't really ask more..I was too shocked by the look of my back...but come to think of it I haven't heard of too many in the neck...obviously when/if the time comes I will do much more investigation (I do have a follow up scheduled anyway with a different doctor at the end of the month so will be interested in his take). My neck and lower back though both look horribly crooked. This doc I saw was pretty shocked though as well. I will let you know when I find out more...thanks for questioning.

Always Smilin'
                Fused T2-L1 in 1982

Always Smilin'
                Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                right thoracic 57
                lower lumbar 34

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
                  they can put them in the neck???? I have'nt heard of that
                  Yes, there are spine implants for the entire spine, from the neck to the pelvis. I know of two people who are fused from C1 to the sacrum.

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                  X