Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adults having scoliosis surgery???

The present state of the art as far as scoliosis surgery in adults is this:
    An adult-without serious medical problems, whose curve is progressing is a candidate for surgery-whether or not there is pain. Pain however is a potent motivator but if you wait until it's terrible then a larger fusion might be needed because the lumbar discs wear out sooner in scoliosis. My dostor told me not to wait because of this but my MRI showed it was too late-the discs were "shot" so I needed a longer fusion.

In the article below, Dr. Boachie from the Hospital for Special surgery in NY recommends intervention during the 40s or 50s. Progressing curves in adults just don't "stop dead" because they have reached a certain magnitude. One can go many years with a stealthily progressing curve before pain ensues-it did in my case. He states pain will ensue later on even though the person can live with the deformity. As the person gets older other medical conditions crop up making the person a poor candidate and in pain. He has operated in adults with an average age of 66.

Here is a long, scholarly article with fotos dealing exclusively with adult scoliosis. Conservative as well as surgical management is discussed.

http://www.hss.edu/Professionals/Con...dult-Scoliosis

Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

wel wel well no need to be scared eevn if u have to undergo a surgery believe that uwill get thru with flying colours and u will ... trust me .. its ur faith .. u may not have a surgery but if it is inevittable .. plzz be strong
      God bless u and heal u on my expense .. amen

Comment

Working...
      X