No announcement yet.

I also have a new question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carebear, don't know if your still here but if I'm reading your post right have you really gone from 5'10'' to 5'4'' in 11 yrs? I know people can lose height with scoliosis but that seems extreme.

Comment

I don't that's extreme at all. I lost 3 inches in the last 5 years and I got them all back after surgery.
      I was 5'8 to begin with, lost 3 inches and 'shrunk" to 5'5 and when they measured me after surgery, I was once agin 5'8. I didn't gain additional inches but I gained back all that I had lost due to my curve.
      36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
      Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
      Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
      Curve post op = 20 degrees
      No pain anymore!!
      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I have to agree with Kat. I was 5'5 now I am a dwarf at 5'2.
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

It's just that I wasn't aware that you could lose so much height as an adult. I thought the most you'd shrink was an inch or two.

Comment

UKman,
            If you think about it, it makes sense that the higher the cobb angle the more you shrenk in height. Take a noodle (cooked) and lay out strieght, then make it curve like scoli. It now has become shorter, even though the same amount of noodle is there
            SandyC

Comment

losing height

I would agree that losing 3 or more inches in height seems extreme. I've lost maybe 1/2 inch in height, but then again, my 2 curves are in the 30 degree range; there are many around this group that have 3-4 times that much curvature.
              28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

Working...
              X