Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before I spend $$$ on a second opinion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine went from 48º to 52º in about 1.5 years, in my mid 50s, and was told it would continue to increase.
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

In a 5 year span my double 40 degree curves progressed to 70 and 68 degrees. My spine was collapsing fast and the year of my surgery, 2011, I lost 4 inches of height in one year. Talk about painful! I knew in 2006 when my curves were 40 degrees, that I would need surgery at some point in my future, but the time wasn't right for me at that stage. Things became crystal clear in 2011 the need for surgery.
      Last edited by Doreen1; 08-06-2013, 02:14 PM.
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Hi Gayle...

I rarely hear any surgeons talking about halting progression in adults. Thoracic curves tend to progress pretty slowly, so I'm guessing that's the rationale. I routinely hear surgeons say that the reasons for surgery in older adults are limited to significant pain and neurologic weakness.

The 80-90 years old that we see are usually in tremendous pain. (They would not be seeking out surgical opinions otherwise, IMO.) They actually have fairly good outcomes because they have little to lose and a lot to gain. A little complication like leg weakness is nothing to them when compared to the thought of being in near constant pain for the rest of their lives. None of our really old patients have died (at least since I've been at UCSF). They definitely have complications, but most are of the less serious variety. We have seen a few significant neurologic injuries, but I think they were expected in those cases cases, and the patients counseled about it prior to surgery.

One thing about patients >80 years old going into major surgery is that it's probably very important that they're in a major university hospital, with anesthesia staff who have a lot of experience with this type of patient. Coincidentally, I talked to a woman in her 80's on the phone today. She has scoliosis and has been told that she needs surgery. She's going to a doctor that I had never heard of, and who (based on his bio) probably has done almost no long fusion surgeries. I tried to convince her that she needed to see someone with a lot more experience, and be treated by hospital staff who are familiar with big surgeries on older patients, but she does not want to go into San Francisco for surgery (even though it's less than 15 miles from her home). I think that's a disaster waiting to happen.

--Linda
        Dr. Hu said that my chance of dying with major scoliosis fusion at 65 was 1/100. The mortality rate for 80-90 year olds should be pretty high, I would guess. Maybe the much older folks in SF are just healthier or luckier than normal.
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Reading this thread has been helpful because my current level of pain is manageable, with increased limitations on my activities.

I retired early from teaching in 2006 because I was in a great deal of pain. After I retired, the pain lessened tremendously. I occasionally need one 'pain' pill instead of six, but most of the time, I can stop whatever I'm doing to cause the pain and I get relief. I could probably manage the rest of my life like this.

My curve has been progressing 1-2 degrees a year since my mid-40's. it's at 65 degrees. My doctor said if I 'do nothing', eventually my bottom rib will fuse to my hip. I'm 59 & he thinks surgery now would be less risky than waiting til my late 60's. all this sounded logical, but with many thanks to this forum, I'll be seeking a second opinion.
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

There is some truth to the fact that aging increases your risk for surgery. Some risk factors that make us older folks more at risk are cardiovascular status, type 2 diabetes, and osteoporosis.

What is your bone density?

There is probably very little increase in risk for the next couple of years unless you have medical problems. Take your time to get into shape and do your homework.

Good luck! I am trying to find the answer to your question that you sent to me.
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
            X