No announcement yet.

Has anyone has Meralgia Paresthetica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susan, sorry to hear about your frustration in getting the doctors to pay attention to your pain level. The back and forth of phone calls, miscommunication and misunderstanding of the patient's situation seem so common. I know doctors are rushed and their staff are not always too reliable, but still it's hard when the patient is struggling with pain or some other problem to have to jump through so many hoops. Hope you get some relief soon.

Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy T View Post
      Susan, sorry to hear about your frustration in getting the doctors to pay attention to your pain level. The back and forth of phone calls, miscommunication and misunderstanding of the patient's situation seem so common. I know doctors are rushed and their staff are not always too reliable, but still it's hard when the patient is struggling with pain or some other problem to have to jump through so many hoops. Hope you get some relief soon.

Nancy
      Thanks Nancy. So much of the problem is the phone tag: I tell the receptionist, she tells the assistant, the assistant tell the MD...and who knows what the message is at that point. I am considering sending him a letter that needs his signiture! I started with the MP in May and it has only gotten worse.
      The neurologist gave me some gabapentin in gel that helps some, but after I apply it, of course the Lidoderm patches don't stick!
      I have not slept well for the past 4 nights because of my hip pain and the MP. So, I'm thinking about asking my neurologist for Ambien! Ridiculous!
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Received a call today from the pain management MD. I have an injection of the lateral cutaneous femoral nerve on Wednesday! I am really excited!
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

I had the injection of steroid by the second MD that tried to find the nerve via floroscopy. So far, I have little pain relief as the L hip still burns and is numb and I get electric shock sensations. Maybe it just takes time....
          Susan

Comment

Over 2 weeks post steroid inj for MP

I had the steroid inj about 2 weeks or so ago and mostly have relief....awesome. I woke up this morning with electric shock pains and burning, much less than I had before, but still, I am disappointed that pain is returning at all and so soon. I sent an email to my doctor and by the end of the day, he will do another steroid injection on Monday at 5PM, no doubt after the office closes. Great! The skin on my hip still feel rubbery with no sensation. Weird. I asked my neurologist how long the steroid inj should last and I got the "it varies". So, maybe after this second inj, that's it? I wish. Susan

Comment

Second inj for MP

I had the second injection of steroids and lidocaine [or something else to numb?] of the left lateral femoral cutaneous nerve under fluoroscopy. The procedure is minimally painful. I have no pain now! My L hip is still completely numb, but I am painfree!!!! Thank you Dr. Kafrouni!!!! Susan

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                Received a call today from the pain management MD. I have an injection of the lateral cutaneous femoral nerve on Wednesday! I am really excited!
                Susan
                Sometimes I think we are a sad bunch of people. Who else would be excited to get injections into their spines?! I, too, get excited because it means pain relief. I haven't gotten the same excellent results with last weeks injection that I had hoped for. Maybe it will take a little more time.

Take care.
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

It is sort of ironic that we seek such procedures. In the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve inj, the MD injects under fluoroscopy to an area in the very lower abdomen near the hip. He kept seeing, "I see the nerve well" amd I looked and all I could see were layers of tissue. It was magical for me since the procedure eliminated 98% of my pain from MP. My hip is still rubbery and numb....which is really weird.....but painfree.

The denervations that I had were extremely painful. The idea of cauterizing back nerves [twice at each of 6 thoracic spots] sounded pretty scarey and I was worried that I would smell my flesh burning or that they might "miss" and oopppss! you're paralyzed. I told the MD that I wanted her to do it and not the "house staff" [it's a teaching hospital]. The fellows are slow as they are learning, but when the procedure is so painful, I just want to get it done! As painful as it was, "10", I would do it again to get this kind of relief.

Best of luck with your pain relief. It does take a while to get max benefit and sometimes it takes a few times with the same procedure.
                  Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X