Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone 70 yrs + who didn't have surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amy, I'm back.

Nice to return to a psychological normality, with all that has happened. I was bird watching in Cape May, NJ which is rated #1 in North America, and contributed by identifying the "storkus maximus" in takeoff through a crappy pair of binoculars. I know nothing about birds, but you have to start somewhere. At least a few bird biologists got a kick out of that. Yeah, I know, its extremely geeky. LOL

Lori,
    People experience pain differently. When I broke my shoulder 10 days before my scoli surgeries, I had so much back pain that I didn’t even go to the hospital for my shoulder. My humeral head was shattered, snapped another bone, and almost completely ripped off my supraspinatus. It was a high speed ski crash.

Quantifying pain is difficult. Only you will know what you can handle and making the decision on scoliosis surgery is so difficult when pain does not influence your decision. It is best to have a few scoliosis surgeons come up with a similar plan....nice to have them concur with one another on methods.

There is also the option of not making a decision which many people do which is fine. If ones curves are large, and progressing at an older age, then more thought is needed before ones surgical timeframe is up. Defining that surgical timeframe is difficult because we are all different. Having "dated" x-rays and cts, (burned to disc is best) to have in your possession is of high value since these records are the only way to prove progression. I wouldn’t ask for a ct just for the record, but if the surgeon wants one done, get that copy. Your scoliosis surgeon is the most qualified to make surgical timeframe decisions, but its your call.

Please remember that scoliosis surgery is serious business and complications can and do occur. We need to be aware, communicate, and understand to be mentally prepared.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed...
      was that a serious post...why must one "start somewhere" with birds...??
      you really went to Cape May to watch birds...?
      what'd they do? besides fly around or sit in their nests...?
      you guys dont have any birds in Nevada?

am off to see pain doc in Manhattan today...
      dont want anymore injections for now! last ones seemed to make my pain worse!
      just want to get some pain meds....
      and of course....might as well see my hair dresser while i am there...

tweet tweet

Comment

Hi Jess

With all the unfavorable news lately, I figured Id start with something slightly comical... I was actually sick upon hearing about Joyful after I got back....

I went to a funeral in Ontario, Canada. After these kinds of events, I will do anything, like watch birds.....flap my wings, you know... to maintain my sanity.

Physically, I'm pain free.....
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Jess,

We need to do whatever we can to support Ed with Post-fusion terra firma activities.

Bird-watching is okay- actually quite absorbing- Otherwise he'll be hucking himself off cliffs- not okay
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

77 y.o. without surgery

I am writing for my mother. She has a 50+ degree curve. She has never had surgery. She has extreme back pain and is participating in a pain management group. She also receives physical therapy prn for exercise consultation. She has been told that she is not a candidate for surgery at her age.

If anyone has advice for her situation, please reply with your suggestions.

Comment

hey Ed
              somehow, i never saw that post you wrote...i guess bird watching is fine...it just sounds so incredibly boring to me...but to each his own, etc....

you want to laugh...watch puppies playing together...or even better, get a puppy...hours of fun become days and months!

woof

Comment

Originally posted by carolb4 View Post
                I am writing for my mother. She has a 50+ degree curve. She has never had surgery. She has extreme back pain and is participating in a pain management group. She also receives physical therapy prn for exercise consultation. She has been told that she is not a candidate for surgery at her age.

If anyone has advice for her situation, please reply with your suggestions.
                Carol,

Welcome!

I've had a couple surgeons tell me that age is very quickly becoming "no longer a factor" in signing up for surgery. Dr. Rand in Boston and Dr Bess in Denver have both mentioned operating on candidates well into their 70's and 80's. I hope you will take your mom for a second opinion, but perhaps she really does not want that for herself. My mom is 80 and will be having a cervical fusion very soon. If your mom's quality of life is so diminished, it might be worth the risks involved.

It's hard having your parents dealing with these issues. I have them myself, but Mom?? Not fair!

Keep posting!

Amy
                Amy
                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                Exercising to correct

Comment

Welcome from me too Carol. Does your Mom want surgery? If she does, she may need a second or third opinion. Drs. are doing this surgery on patients in their 70s and even 80s, my own doctor among them. Of course, there may be other reasons apart from age, that may prevent surgery, but if you are being given age as the only reason, and she's otherwise healthy, then I think the next step is to find a surgeon who feels comfortable about doing the surgery on an older patient. That is, if this is what she wants.

I feel for your Mom and I hope she gets the relief she deserves, one way or another.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                  X