Neck Crunching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Crunching

First time posting...wondering if anyone else has these problems as a result of their Scoliosis...

I am 43 years old. Had my fusion when I was 10 in 1976. Five years ago I had an x-ray done of my right hip, shoulders and neck after falling in the tub. When I went in for a follow up my doctor asked if my shoulders and neck ever hurt because I had terrible arthritis and bone spurs in those places. I have since lost medical coverage and have no insurance at all so can't get to the doctor to see how much worse it is.

I am having terrible problems now with my right hip. I will get shooting pains that go down my leg and into my knee cap and my entire hip and leg will go numb and the muscles start twitching uncontrollably. I can tell I have lost considerable muscle strength. I don't know if this is from the fall five years ago, of if it's Bursitis (which Scoliosis patients are at risk for). I only know there are days I can barely walk and I have to use a cane. Driving aggravates the heck out of it.

Also, my neck crunches constantly when I turn my head. Just the slightest turn makes a crunching sound, and it happens all the time, not just sometimes. Also, at times my neck will get stuck. If I look up at a certain angle or turn my neck to the side in a certain way, my neck will get stuck and I have to rotate it around to "unhinge" it. Does anyone else have this happen? And if so, do you know what it's caused by, and more importantly, is it dangerous? I am very worried that somehow I will snap my spinal cord!

Also, if any of you are on SSI or Medicaid due to your Scoliosis, was it difficult to get the benefits? I am considering applying, but I've heard horror stories of it taking forever. I don't qualify for SSD since I never worked long enough over my lifetime to receive benefits.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you! Hoping to make some new bone friends here.

My neck did a lot of crunching 10 years or so ago and physical therapy helped a great deal, but it took at least 6 months before things got better. This was before I knew I had a lumbar scoliosis.
    I think getting SSI benefits depends a lot on what state you live in. I have two friends in Massaschusetts who applied and got it on the first try. All you can do is try.
    I am so sorry for you situation and wish you luck in getting the benefits you need.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

growing concern re neck crunching

'Also, my neck crunches constantly when I turn my head'. so does mine!

try rotating 360 degrees and count the crunches.... My neck also gets stuck sometimes for days on end....I don't know why and I hadn't linked it to the scoliosis untill you mentioned it. I am concerned about your fear of spinal cord 'snap'..

This hadn't been a concern of mine previously but it may become one.

I find that a really good massage stops my neck crunching for a day of so and it feels great. Does it help you? Give it a go and stretch out those vertibrae

Comment

Originally posted by lucida View Post
        'Also, my neck crunches constantly when I turn my head'. so does mine!

try rotating 360 degrees and count the crunches.... My neck also gets stuck sometimes for days on end....I don't know why and I hadn't linked it to the scoliosis untill you mentioned it. I am concerned about your fear of spinal cord 'snap'..

This hadn't been a concern of mine previously but it may become one.

I find that a really good massage stops my neck crunching for a day of so and it feels great. Does it help you? Give it a go and stretch out those vertibrae
        I do range of motion exercises every morning in the shower, and it keeps my cervical spine from these sorts of issues. Radiographically, my neck is a mess, but I've been able to avoid surgery for almost 20 years, and it actually feels like I'm in much better shape now. I used to have episodes at least once or twice a year, but haven't had a single one <knock on wood!> for at least two years.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2259474_ge...l-therapy.html
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

cool

watched the clip -- yes i should do this and will make an effort to thanks

Comment

sounds like some of the neck problems may be from osteoarthritis...
            i am sorry you lost your medical coverage...i think getting disability depends partly on how long you worked before and the proof you can present of how disabled you have become...

have you ever been on NSAIDS? they never helped me, but i know they do help many people...
            i have eternal neck pain from Lyme Disease...it left me with arthritis in many parts of my body, especially my neck and spine!

also...do you think that pain that goes down from your hip thru your leg is any kind of a sciatica......?

hope you can obtain disability benefits...
            jess

Comment

First Time I Checked My Answers!

Thanks, guys.

Well, I did have a friend who is a nurse suggest to me that the hip pain could be a form of Sciatica.

The neck crunching - not much helps. Massage feels great, but I still crunch worse than corn flakes. NSAIDS do help with the throbbing I feel in ALL of my joints, most especially my neck, but it doesn't last long and I have to take so many (4 pills at once) that a doctor at an emergency room a couple of years ago told me to stop taking them before I screw myself up more.

I tried some RX NSAIDS, all of which made me bleed vaginally the whole time I took them. After three types, the clinic doctor said he didn't want to try anymore.

I had a nasty issue with narcotics 13 years ago, so that is out of the question, I won't even entertain it. I use MM, my hot tub, heating bad, Tiger Balm, hot shower, massage, and when I need it, ice on my hip. Other than that, I am in a state of limbo - and pain...lol.

I finally qualified for county benefits - I am waiting for my card. At least then I can get x-rays done to find out what the heck is wrong with my hip.

I am sorry to have made a new concern - re: spinal cord "snap." I only worry since it just doesn't FEEL healthy and correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there bone fractures part of Osteoarthritis? If so, then any break could further weaken and break more, causing the spinal cord to become severed. It just seemed logical, though I don't know how likely it is. Good grief!

To the poster who said her neck crunched for almost ten years - did they tell you what caused the crunching?

Does anyone else feel pain all up and down their back, too? Almost a compression kind of pain? At the end of the day it feels like someone has dribbled me like a basketball! I am wondering if anyone else has trouble with the majority of their pain being at night and wonder if compression throughout the day is the cause.

Also, does anyone else get very, VERY tight muscles along their neck or spine? Kind of like a muscle cramp?? What makes it go away?

Comment

You might want to try the book, "Fixing You- Neck Pain & Headaches" by Rick Olderman. You can get it on Amazon. I first heard about it from Christian0710 here on the forum...

I get the crunchies but only occasionally. My neck and shoulder muscles get very tight and painful and I have a constant headache for a friend. The exercises in this book help a great deal and are easy to do on the fly. Massage also helps but it seems like I never want it to stop and you can't have the massage 24/7 If only and in a perfect world- nonstop massage. Big sigh.

Anyway, I am beginning to realize that the simple, daily attention, like Linda's range of motion exercises and whatever you can manage consistently. I once had a physical therapist tell me that I should be constantly checking in with my body and thinking about what I could do for just 30 seconds, many times throughout the day. Make it a labor of love.
                Amy
                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by uscitizen1966 View Post
                  Thanks, guys.

To the poster who said her neck crunched for almost ten years - did they tell you what caused the crunching?

Also, does anyone else get very, VERY tight muscles along their neck or spine? Kind of like a muscle cramp?? What makes it go away?
                  If you will reread my post, you will notice that I said Physical Therapy worked but it took 6 months and it is something that you should continue to do for the rest of your life as Linda stated. You need to stretch out those very tight muscles in your neck. I never asked what caused the crunching but I suspect that because of tight muscles in the neck, it causes the cartilage to be compressed and it sounds noisy because it is so close to your head. The cartilage will wear out if you don't get this addressed. You have to be very diligent with the Physical Therapy.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                  X