No announcement yet.

Are x-rays necessarys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree about the radiation concern. I have had 6 miscarriages so far in my life and 3 living children. I often wonder if all of the radiation exposure had anything to do with that. In fact, I am convinced it did. So I agree with the concern of your daughter. She is young and may want children some day.

Science is only exact on paper. That is a lesson I learned all to quickly doing actual experiments and research. It would be nice if things turned out as we calculate they should, but they rarely do. That is why I believe there are things and discrepencies that we find hard to explain.

Again, best wishes to you and your daughter.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      I agree about the radiation concern. I have had 6 miscarriages so far in my life and 3 living children. I often wonder if all of the radiation exposure had anything to do with that. In fact, I am convinced it did. So I agree with the concern of your daughter. She is young and may want children some day.
      I’m sorry to know about that.
      I’m really worried about radiation. It’s really true that nobody could be sure what kind of damage could do. I heard that radiation is much lower than years ago, but I think it’s not enough to run risks. Could I ask you have many x rays do you think you had until you have your children? My daughter had not so many radiation exposures because we were noticed about her scoliosis when she was 14, but I always think about risks.
      Science is only exact on paper. That is a lesson I learned all to quickly doing actual experiments and research. It would be nice if things turned out as we calculate they should, but they rarely do. That is why I believe there are things and discrepencies that we find hard to explain.
      I agree 100%
      And I think there is a great delay between science and medical knowledge, practices and recommendations.

I really appreciate what you told me.
      Best wishes for you and your children.

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
        I’m sorry to know about that.
        I’m really worried about radiation. It’s really true that nobody could be sure what kind of damage could do. I heard that radiation is much lower than years ago, but I think it’s not enough to run risks. Could I ask you have many x rays do you think you had until you have your children? My daughter had not so many radiation exposures because we were noticed about her scoliosis when she was 14, but I always think about risks.

I agree 100%
        And I think there is a great delay between science and medical knowledge, practices and recommendations.

I really appreciate what you told me.
        Best wishes for you and your children.
        I really don't know how many X-rays I had. They started when I was 16 and I would go every couple of months to start, then every 3 to 4 months until I was 18. I also had a CT scan which emits I've heard on this forum the radiation of like over 400 X-rays (again I can't remember which thread it was).
        I am also concerned about cancer. My chiropractor told me that you get more radiation flying on a commercial jetliner than you do with an X-ray. I'm not so sure I believe that.

I went through a period of time from 1988 to 1994 where I had no X-rays. But now, my doctors X-ray me every time I get hurt or have to go to the ER because they are scared that I am more susceptible to a back injury. So I have had a LOT of exposure.

It's good to weigh the risk benefit ratio when you are dealing with ANY medical procedure. But, unfortunately, this is one disorder that cannot be followed without the use of X-ray.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

rohrer01, thanks for tell me this. You not began earlier with x rays. I think we need to read the thread recommended by Ed in this thread, when he said about CT. I cannot believe it could radiate more than 440 x rays..
          Yesterday an ex surgeon, said me that is not good to take more than 1 x ray each 2 years..everybody seems to have a different opinion..

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
            everybody seems to have a different opinion..
            la gente sabe nada!
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Es muy triste Shaoron, pero parce que tenés razón.

I can not believe that this issue is debatable. There must to be some Institution or something to say exactly how is this issue. If it is true, they should indicate the CT only in very extreme cases, or in fact x ray is as negligible radiation,so 440 of them do not imply a serious risk concern.

Comment

There probably is some risk, with multiple, repeated xrays each year. But there are also some things that xrays are necessary for. You have to weigh the relative risks, and the benefits. If a single xray will help to diagnose progression of a curve, and potentially lead to treatment that can prevent pain, then that benefit might be greater than the very small increase in risk in cancer that results from that particular xray. My sense is that there's little evidence of increased cancer risk from xrays - but if it was something I was concerned about, I wouldn't necessarily say a blanket 'no' to all xrays, rather I would think about each one individually and decide if it was necessary. In my opinion, a periodic xray to assess progression of scoliosis is necessary. There's really no other way to accurately assess it.

Comment

great doubt

Diane, thanks for your opinion,, I really don´t know what to do .. I just read this:
                  'The X-ray irradiation can cause asymmetrical epiphyseal growth. "
                  It's true I can not be sure my daughter will not grow (your spine must not be extended) any more, so measuring their height would not be an indication very reliable but I do not think she can grow so much and it seems to be unclear risks with x-rays.
                  There is no doubt that in adulthood, logic indicates that if the height is not reduced, the sum of the curves can not have increased, though it could not be proved. I think taking pictures with the vertebrae painted, the height measure, the test of the plumb line and the rotation, should to give a very rough idea.
                  Surely the margin of error is much larger in the flexible curves and nothing can give a reliable picture of what happens, not even the x rays.
                  And Indeed .. I have not idea what I could do after knowing the outcome of the x ray. In fact, when it gave 10º less and then 9º more, we did not do nothing very different from what we are doing.

Comment

Where is that quote from, the one that you posted? What is the source, and are they reliable?

I googled that quote, and the only links that came up are related to radiation therapy for cancer - not xrays.

Here are a couple of interesting articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/09/health/09scanner.html
                    http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/risk.htm

Most research I've seen seems to indicate that the risk of exposure to radiation from natural sources such as radon is much greater over a lifetime than what comes from xrays. There was some research about breast cancer, but the findings were limited to women who already had the breast cancer gene, not all women.

Nobody can tell you what to do. But to me, the increased risk of cancer from a single xray - or even a few of them over the course of a couple of years - sounds like it is incredibly, incredibly, incredibly tiny. But the benefits of getting a good diagnosis far outweigh that.

Comment

Originally posted by diane2628 View Post
                      Where is that quote from, the one that you posted? What is the source, and are they reliable?

I googled that quote, and the only links that came up are related to radiation therapy for cancer - not xrays.
                      Surely you are right and not exists any evidence. I can not say this page could be reliable.
                      http://www.puntofape.com/columna-ver...ge-1/#comments
                      (La irradiación con rayos X puede causar un crecimiento epifisiario asimétrico)

Most research I've seen seems to indicate that the risk of exposure to radiation from natural sources such as radon is much greater over a lifetime than what comes from xrays. There was some research about breast cancer, but the findings were limited to women who already had the breast cancer gene, not all women.

Nobody can tell you what to do. But to me, the increased risk of cancer from a single xray - or even a few of them over the course of a couple of years - sounds like it is incredibly, incredibly, incredibly tiny. But the benefits of getting a good diagnosis far outweigh that.
                      Thanks and I hope would be true what you say. It seems to have sense.. but I think that with my daughter I’ll need a lot of x rays to arrive to some conclusion. All height measures I’m doing are different, so surely all x rays will differ as the lasts two.

Comment

Working...
                      X