No announcement yet.

Results of Dr. visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still thinking about the book. I know there aren't any good exercises that can pinpoint my main curve because it's too high. That's why I didn't just run out and buy it. Most of you all have lower curves than me.

However, I have been thinking about what if I focus on my lower compensatory curve? I wonder if that would have an ill effect on my larger curve, or possibly have a positive effect on it. I'm not sure. All I know is that I've been on these strong meds for over two months now and I'm still in pain. I'm either sleeping from the drugs or in pain, or feeling downright sick, nauseas. I vowed that I would not let scoliosis run my life, but that is exactly what it is doing. So many successful people out there with curves larger than mine makes me wonder why I'm having such a hard time.

I guess I will wait and see what Dr. Hey has to say, that is IF I ever get my X-rays from UW.

I just keep hearing Dr. Tribus' words echoing through my head that I have a drug problem. He obviously doesn't know me very well. I'm about at my witts end and never even imagined EVER being accused of having a drug problem. Maybe he's never had chronic, sever pain, who knows. All I know is I want OFF these meds, especially the fentanyl and the klonopin, which, unfortunately seem to help the most. My hubby and I want a baby and these are two very dangerous and lethal drugs to an embryo, thus I'm forced to be on birth control.

What do you all think about focusing on the compensatory curve? It's only 28* and I think that is well within the limits to expect results. I think maybe just ignore the bad curve and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I progress. Well, I'm doing that anyway. At least I would feel like I'm doing something.

I have already started sort of an exercise plan. I walk between 1 and 2 miles a day in my "special shoes". Nothing is really targeted at the curves though. The problem is, if I stand with my shoulders level, I get this rotation that puts my belly button about an inch off center and creates a large rib hump out of the right side that actually pushes my arm away from my body. If I stand up "straight", my shoulders are extremely uneven, like my left one is about 2 inches higher than the right. So I don't know what is best.

Well I'm starting to ramble. Any input would be appreciated. Dailystrength, you certainly have coined a nice name for yourself!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Dear Rohrer,

I understand ramblings; that's what we're here for! To me I would have never thought you had a drug problem. Those with drug problems can't function on a daily basis and you are very coherent--just in pain. He's probably seen others who really do have a drug problem. That's my take.

About focusing on the lumbar compensory curve, I think this could be helpful. I was reading in the Schroth book last evening that (they seem to think) scoliosis starts with an uneven pelvis. I've also heard it starts in the neck but anyway, not to confuse things, based on the uneven pelvis assumption, it would help your upper curve which could in itself be compensory. Therefore, the Curves book I think would help. At $12 it's not a huge investment, with free shipping if you buy $25 of things-- maybe your husband needs something from Amazon. The author Annette has both curves I believe, tho her lower is larger also, but the exercises are based on total body alignmnent. When I lay on the floor and do the "Windmill", you can tell how your upper body is supposed to fall into alignment. In fact this exercise moves my entire left shoulder back and down. I'm not an expert, but it does feel like that's where it's supposed to be, and it stretches out the sunken left side of my abdomen, also. She does incorporate Alexander Technique and I'm thinking this exercise is one of those - just for alignment, not of any particular area but for the body as a unit. The stretches really do help with pain but since your pain is so great you would need to start very slowly. I do hope that helps.

On another note I may be sticking with the book and what all else I can do, as I found out there are many loopholes to my insurance "coverage" for Schroth. Scoliosis treatment, other than surgery, really does need insurance recognition but that's another topic. I did get the good Dr's report faxed today which cheered me; I still can't believe my curve went from 49 to 44.
      Last edited by dailystrength; 05-18-2010, 10:51 AM.
      34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
      Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
        Dear Rohrer,

I understand ramblings; that's what we're here for! To me I would have never thought you had a drug problem. Those with drug problems can't function on a daily basis and you are very coherent--just in pain. He's probably seen others who really do have a drug problem. That's my take.

About focusing on the lumbar compensory curve, I think this could be helpful. I was reading in the Schroth book last evening that (they seem to think) scoliosis starts with an uneven pelvis. I've also heard it starts in the neck but anyway, not to confuse things, based on the uneven pelvis assumption, it would help your upper curve which could in itself be compensory. Therefore, the Curves book I think would help. At $12 it's not a huge investment, with free shipping if you buy $25 of things-- maybe your husband needs something from Amazon. The author Annette has both curves I believe, tho her lower is larger also, but the exercises are based on total body alignmnent. When I lay on the floor and do the "Windmill", you can tell how your upper body is supposed to fall into alignment. In fact this exercise moves my entire left shoulder back and down. I'm not an expert, but it does feel like that's where it's supposed to be, and it stretches out the sunken left side of my abdomen, also. She does incorporate Alexander Technique and I'm thinking this exercise is one of those - just for alignment, not of any particular area but for the body as a unit. The stretches really do help with pain but since your pain is so great you would need to start very slowly. I do hope that helps.

On another note I may be sticking with the book and what all else I can do, as I found out there are many loopholes to my insurance "coverage" for Schroth. Scoliosis treatment, other than surgery, really does need insurance recognition but that's another topic. I did get the good Dr's report faxed today which cheered me; I still can't believe my curve went from 49 to 44.
        Thanks for the advice. My lower curve isn't lumbar, though. It is also thoracic, and was barely existant when I was in my 20's. I think it was 16*. I can't be sure but it has been said on here that one of the main objectives of Schroth is to make the body appear even, which I do. One of the success stories "I can't remember which thread it was" actually the woman increased in curve size, but her body symmetry and appearance got better and that was her goal, strictly cosmetic. I know that wouldn't help me. Maybe for some people who do not have pain that would be a plus for them. I just don't know what to do. I probably will get the book and see if there are any exercises or stretches in there that I think might at least reduce the pain.

It's just my case is so unique. I have seen several scoli docs and only ONE has seen a curve pattern similar to mine. So there aren't many like me on here and the ones that I have seen have just about all been fused.
        Thanks again! I really hope Schroth works out for you. You seem to be a very determined lady.
        Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Yes, Just determined to be out of pain and discomfort
          34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
          Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
            Yes, Just determined to be out of pain and discomfort
            Me, too! I have some things that I've been mentally working on. I need to wait to hear from Dr. Hey and see what happens in that direction first.
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
            X