i ruined my life.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christina,

Backbending occurs predominately in the lumber spine (lower portion of the spine). The thoracic spine does not extend very far... most extension happens below it in the the lumbars. So if someone has a fusion/rod implantation in the thoracic spine they, in theory, may still possess the ability to fully extend the lumbars.

I agree that some gymnastics would be feasible after surgery. The more compressive aspects of the sport will however influence and possibly cause problems with the discs at the transitions and into the remaining mobile segments. Because of the immobility of the fused portion of the spine the forces from vertical impact are transfered into the fewer mobile areas with greater intensity. This could lead to premature disc degeneration, collapse, herniation, etc or facet deterioration. Just something worth considering before it happens.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but there is a certain reality in the matter that, if acknowledged, could prevent further problems for folks.

Comment

I have heard of girls with the surgery going back to volleyball, swimming, gymnastics, ballet and competitive cheerleading, but I think it depends on your surgical location. My daughters is scheduled for L1 to T6 and the doctor says she could do almost anything EVENTUALLY, because like many have said, her neck and lower back are not involved. And i wonder about the difference between rythmic gymnastics and gymnastics. It seems that the rythmic kids tend to be taller, and they appear to be more twisty. Perhaps they excel in that side of the sport because they are built for it, and what makes them excel is also the genetic area that results in scoliosis.

We have several folks in the family with scoliosis, and I have only 2 kids, one with scoliosis (my girl), and one who has brittle bones and delayed bone maturity (my boy). Isn't it weird how the kids in our family have crazy bones, tend to be tall eventually, the girls sometimes get scoliosis, and the boys break bones like crazy until puberty and then they grow a lot and testosterone hardens their bones to normal (from being in the first percentile for bone density). I keep wanting them to make a genetic database and check this stuff out. It cannot be coincidence.

- Martha K

Comment

Please don't beat yourself up over that. From all my information and research and experience with my daughter (Alexandra-14, Risor 2, 48 degree C curve) there is no evidence that a brace can stop the progression of scoliosis. Alexandra is a dancer and was just told she is probably going to have to have surgery multiple times because she is still growing and will have to give up dance. We both just do not feel that is an option. I know you are scared, we are too, but the more people share information the better decisions we can all make. I have hope. I hope you do too.
        Christine
        Mom of Alexandra

Comment

Kali I can relate to what you are going through

Kali, I am sorry to hear that you are having problems adjusting to your brace. I am a 42 yr old mom of 2 girls who thank god didnt inherit my scoliossis (hope I spelled it right) I was diagnosed and put in a Milwaukee brace till I was in my second year in High School, I was also in dance and gymnastics when this happend. I didnt let my brace interfere with a whole lot of things but I did have to limit my time on the things I did that required me to take off my brace. I wore mine to school and everything. I too was told to have surgury but I was also told I was borderline to have it or not. I know exactly what you are going through and I hope I can help. Please feel free to email me any questions you might have that can help. Just do what the doctors are telling you to do and listen to Mom. Believe it or not us Moms are really here to help. God bless and hope I can be of help to you or your mom. I live in Northwest Indiana and I see you live next door in Illinois.

Comment

thanks for all the help everyone
            my name is kali

i am 15 years old

gymnastics and dancing is what i do best

my friends complete me.

Comment

Hi Kali i do gymnastics too My doctor said that gymnastics is very good for your back because it stretches the muscles in your back So I was exited because i didnt know if i was going to be able to do it either. But if you have to get surgery than im pretty sure you are not going to be able to do gymnastics Best of luck to you

Lindsay
              Lindsay

My Scoliosis
              27 degree curve
              29 degree curve

Hobbies
              gymnastics
              Swimming
              Shopping

Massachusetts and 11 years old

Comment

I never heard of gymnastics being good for your scoliosis back.. i think its the opposite and its bad because there are some things in gymnastics that make you bend down ( like when touching your toes) and curve your back.. (which is the oppsite of helping )
                My name is Rotem
                I am 13 and in 7th grade
                Started with 2 curves:
                34º Therotical
                50º Lumber
                I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
                Got my 1st on Nov. '06
                Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
                Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
                and im still trying to get used to it
                Hoping I won't need surgery
                I live in South Florida
                3rd check on November 17,2007,
                Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
                30º Theoratical
                37º Lumber
                4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

I had the surgery...I can do some gymnastics....

I can do kartwheels and handstands..I can do backbridges....i can bend over and touch the ground without bending my knees

I just can't do a front roll

But in my opinio...your whole self...and your body....and the health of your body...is more important than a hobby.

I know the words I used sounds kinda rude....but I really don't mean it it a rude way

Comment

Working...
                  X