No announcement yet.

not sure who to trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there, I just wanted to include my experience, since it pertains to your question somewhat. I was found to have a 29 degree lumbar curve when I was 15 years old, and the specalists told me and my parents that it would probably not get worse and that I did not need surgery at that point. I was definitely finished my growth at that point, and a brace was not an option. Then, they said to x-ray every 12 months to check on it. I am now 20 and the curve is 55 degrees, and we have no idea why it got worse. I think it is rare, but for some reason it happened to me. I think the important thing is to repeat the x-rays on whatever intervals the doctors reccommend, so that if the curve is getting worse, you know about it. If they say a brace won't help, then they are probably right.

Kathryn

Comment

what I'd do...

Hi!
      I'm a physical therapist and a mom with a 22 year old daughter who has scoliosis. I'd get another opinion. I'd see Dr. Randal Betz at Shriner's Children's Hospital in Phili. It would be worth the plane fare, I assure you. He does surgery when necessary, fusing as few spinal levels as possible, has some kids braced, and also does vertebral stapling to prevent the progression of curves. If you are assured by Dr. Betz that Meg does not require surgery, I would explore exercise options. My current persuasion would be to contact Beth Janssen at ScoliosisRehab in Stevens-Point, WI and consider intense exercise training to prevent the progression of her curves. At 22 with >45 degree curves, my daughter will be heading there in September.
      Good luck to both of you!

Comment

Working...
      X