Can this be handed down to kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes & No

I have scoliosis through heredity, from my dad's side of the family. Out of the three daughters I was the (un)lucky one whom had progressive C curvature.I did the brace thing for many years and then I progressed to Herrington Rod implant in 1984. I know that my grandmother had severe scoliosis until her death in her 90's. (She was one tough lady.) It as also slightly evident in my father, but he has always done morning back exercises to help his mild scoliosis. It is better safe than sorry. The sooner the diagnosis the better chance of non-surgical theraphy. I'm not a doctor, but if your concerned then talk to your doctor.

Comment

Hi

I personally believe that it can run in families. Both myself and my nan have it severly enough to need treatment, but my younger sister and my dad (my nan's son) also have it very mildly. To me this is too much of a coincidence as nobody else in the whole family has it.

Kazyn x
      Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
      Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
      Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
      Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
      No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
      Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

HI, it certainly is hereditary but much more unlikely for boys to get than girls.
        I have 2 boys also and will keep a eye on them. I noticed that Anthony Moreno preformed your surgery and was wondering why he had to split up your surgeries? I am seeing him Aug 1st and hope I can get it done in 1 surgery.
        jsully
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Working...
        X