Willow - Day 21 - returns to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharon,

I'm so glad the doctor confirmed what I think we all suspected - that no damage was done by that well-meaning hug! YAY!!

I agree with ddb that Willow's progress and relatively speedy recovery (and that of her sister) will be very encouraging for patients and parents who are facing surgery in the future to read about.

Hope things continue to go well!
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Sharon - Can I ask did Willow have any issues with getting around the hallways in school? I mean the timeframe to get to classes and crowds. Here the halls are so crowded it like a contact sport getting to next class.

Dee
      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Originally posted by ddb View Post
        Sharon - Can I ask did Willow have any issues with getting around the hallways in school? I mean the timeframe to get to classes and crowds. Here the halls are so crowded it like a contact sport getting to next class.

Dee
        I know what you mean. This high school is huge. Your description of your daughter's school would fit this one.

I was not worried about it before her injury other than ehr balance issues and her having to do stairs. The balance issue is resolving though as her lumbar is pretty straight now. It was not at first.

After her injury, I was definitely worried about her getting jostled. But I can't really do anything about it. I just hope Willow is much more defensive than she was. I think that is the one upside of the injury.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

How is her injury doing now, Sharon?

Comment

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
            How is her injury doing now, Sharon?
            Very kind of you to ask.

I asked Willow last night how the injury was doing.

Apparently it has "blended" back in with the other feelings (achy, stiffness, etc.) associated with being only 4 weeks (exactly) out from surgery. So it is resolved.

She isn't sleeping well and I can't figure out why. I suggested she take some pain meds but she said pain is not what is keeping her up. I don't think it is school because she is caught up (except for Art) and is doing great as far as I know. Her geometry teacher was amazed that she learned that work on her own and was willing to take the midterm with the class. She was fretting about school before she returned but I don't think she is now. Yesterday she volunteered that she had a "great" day so I relaly have no clue about what is causing her to lose sleep at this point.

If anyone has any thoughts I would be interested in hearing them.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Is she walking enough or otherwise getting some gentle exercise? She probably hasn't been authorized by the surgeon to do much more than walk so if she's not doing it much, that might help. Esp. if she can still do it outside where you live and then she can get some fresh air and exercise. It could help wear her out and calm her mind down as well as helping with her overall soreness and stiffness...
              Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
              Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
              Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Originally posted by laurieg6 View Post
                Is she walking enough or otherwise getting some gentle exercise? She probably hasn't been authorized by the surgeon to do much more than walk so if she's not doing it much, that might help. Esp. if she can still do it outside where you live and then she can get some fresh air and exercise. It could help wear her out and calm her mind down as well as helping with her overall soreness and stiffness...
                That is a very good suggestion!

No she is not walking. I am always asking her to walk... it's still nice outside here. I am always offering to take her to the mall to walk. She hasn't been taking me up on it. I know she is not walking as much as she should.

She has a reason for not walking... said she can already walk a mile which was the requirement for the 6 week appointment (which was canceled when we went back at 3-weeks with the injury). But that doesn't mean she shouldn't keep walking!

Hmmm. I am going to really get her walking and report back. I think that will help.

Thanks again for the great idea.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

How long has she been having a problem w/sleep?

I know Paula had some problems with the nasal congestion (which *was* due to the withdrawl from oxycontin) which kept her up.

Also, she was napping in the afternoon.

I know your dd came off the pain meds early, but if she's napping when she gets home from school and also not walking, that might contribute to the fact she's not sleeping.

Hope it resolves soon!

Comment

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
                    How long has she been having a problem w/sleep?

I know Paula had some problems with the nasal congestion (which *was* due to the withdrawl from oxycontin) which kept her up.

Also, she was napping in the afternoon.

I know your dd came off the pain meds early, but if she's napping when she gets home from school and also not walking, that might contribute to the fact she's not sleeping.

Hope it resolves soon!
                    She's only mentioned it for a few days.

I am hoping more walking will help.

Thanks for your input.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Sharon,

I'm so glad I was able to offer a suggestion that you think may be helpful. You've been very helpful and supportive to me and I only wish you and your daughters all the best of everything.
                      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

happy....

Have been meaning to post....
                        so HAPPY
                        the worst is over(2 down...no more to go )

Hope Willow continues to recover as well as she has thus far..

Best wishes as her recovery continues.

Hope

Comment

Thanks Hope404. Very kind of you.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon

Just wondering what was going on with Willows walking efforts? and sleep patterns?

Our bodies after surgery go through so many changes. Its just so hard to recover and heal, and have our bodies adjust and return to "normal" sleep patterns.

I've been reading a little about the subject of sleep. Its quite an amazing subject. With sleep deprivation, our (WBC) white blood cell counts drop and compromise our immune systems.

I guess it explains why I had such a tough time in my first 30 days, sleeping about 2 hours per day.

Walking is a good thing as far as oxygen goes, but can trigger pain episodes that affect sleep. The little "tests" that we go through, a little trip, a little hug, a little slip, have profound effects on us.

Willow is correct in saying that she can do a mile, because I could do it at 5 weeks. Of course, Id be hurting like hell if I did. It wasn't something I was looking forward to, if you know what I mean.

When you think that "I will get her walking during the day" so she can sleep at night, you have to look at it the other way.

I think that a higher frequency of shorter walks is easier than longer walks. If soft tissues tear while walking, best not to do the marathon and cause more damage.

Slow and easy. Some day I will add it to my signature. LOL
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                              Sharon

Just wondering what was going on with Willows walking efforts? and sleep patterns?
                              She is walking some more and hasn't been complaining of lack of sleep. Laurie is a genius!

Willow is functioning well at school which is an easily determined measurement of how she's doing. Still, I will ask today how she is sleeping.

When you think that "I will get her walking during the day" so she can sleep at night, you have to look at it the other way.

I think that a higher frequency of shorter walks is easier than longer walks. If soft tissues tear while walking, best not to do the marathon and cause more damage.

Slow and easy. Some day I will add it to my signature. LOL
                              Ed
                              Yes I see what you are saying but walking makes her feel better. And her sister is telling her that from personal experience. She feels okay now and can walk a few hours around a mall though it is tiring.

I don't think she can do enough walking to actually hurt for back at this point but I don't know that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

That's good news. Its the thought of walking around a mall that would kill me! LOL

I'm amazed at how well the kids do. They really are troopers!

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X