No announcement yet.

New concern--surgery scheduled 2 weeks from today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am happy for you that the doctors think that the bottom curve will correct itself. That is wonderful!

I understand about the freaking out part--I take my notebook everywhere--that's the only thing I can control. We were getting into the groove with getting clothing, shower bench, potty chair, etc.

Got a call from our dd's GP today--more blood tests ordered to find out why she's not making red blood cells sufficiently. Transfusing blood into her to bring up her count will not take care of the underlying cause of why she's not rebuilding these cells on her own. And he said that it could affect her ability to heal from the surgery if her body can't make those red blood cells. I feel my dd will already be at a disadvantage b/c of all of her medical allergies, so I think we better get an answer to this new problem.

In fact, the GP said her protein levels were low, too. He asked if she were a vegetarian and I laughed and said no. Just this week alone b/c we had an episode with the near fainting when her period started, she's had 3 burgers from Hardee'--the big 2/3 lb. ones! And her hemoglobin is still 10.9.
    All other tests came back fine--just the hemoglobin and protein were out of whack.

The order for the blood we had drawn today is STAT, but I don't think I'll hear from the GP til Tues. Why did it have to be a holiday weekend?

Comment

It was a very surreal feeling for me too for about a week or two before my son's surgery. It was sort of like a trance feeling. It started going away during during the surgery and reality began to hit again.

I've said this before but what was really helpful for me during the surgery was to have a little notebook and write everything down. Everything from doctors, nurses, support staff names, to meds, times of everything reported or about to happen, every contact with anyone who seemed involved and important. Alexander still likes to look at it now.

I wish you both, and your daughters, all the best.
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

My son had fusion of T4-T12 10 days ago. I too was a wreck before the surgery. My husband and I did a directed donation and due to mess ups at the Red Cross they could not use my donation. They were able to get a donation from my husband. It worked out that my son never even needed the donation from my husband and we donated it to the hospital. So I would not worry too much about the donation you have- it may not even be used. I would like to add that my son is doing great- He went home 5 days post op and can climb stairs to his room without assistance- ( we do walk behind him to spot going up and hold hands going down) I was amazed at how quickly he was up and doing well. He was not able to eat for 4 days post op because his gut wasn't producing gas- but as soon as he could eat he was asking for pizza! His post op pain is managable (mild) and is controlled with the prescription pain medication given to him at discharge. He does not need more than 3-4 doses of Percocet a day. I hope this reply will help you with your fears and I hope the surgery for your child goes as well as ours did.

Comment

Working...
        X