No announcement yet.

Hey WNCmom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like a great recovery. You're over the worst of it and totally on the upswing. Congratulations!
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Sidney at 4 weeks post-op

Okay, bear with me--I just have to give you an update on Sidney. I can't believe it's been 4 weeks since surgery.

He's now walking up to 1.5 miles a day at one stretch, and yesterday he went to school to attend a 45-minute geometry class. He's back doing schoolwork and it's the only subject he's had questions about. He is talking about going back to school next week for half-days. We'll see how it goes; he still gets tired easily and also needs to eat about every 1.5 hours. His body is churning through the calories as it heals and he still has lots of weight to gain back.

And he does seem to be standing just a little taller and straighter as we move forward.

Mary Ellen
      Last edited by WNCmom; 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by WNCmom View Post
        Okay, bear with me--I just have to give you an update on Sidney. I can't believe it's been 4 weeks since surgery.

He's now walking up to a mile a day at one stretch, and yesterday he went to school to attend a 45-minute geometry class. He's back doing schoolwork and it's the only subject he's had questions about. He is talking about going back to school next week for half-days. We'll see how it goes; he still gets tired easily and also needs to eat about every 1.5 hours. His body is churning through the calories as it heals and still has lots of weight to gain back.

And he does seem to be standing just a little taller and straighter as we move forward.

Mary Ellen
        Congratulations! That is wonderful news!

How is is post-op pain? What meds is he down to?

Marian

Comment

Marian--

Sidney is one of the lucky ones--he hasn't had any pain meds since our plane ride home 9 days post-op. That day we gave him some because it was going to be a long day of sitting. But really, he was on minimal meds from the time they took the morphine away at 2 days post-op, because the valium and oxycontin made him so groggy he kept closing his eyes and could hardly walk. At day 3, 1/2 percoset about 2x a day was sufficient. He went off the percoset at 7 days post-op because he just didn't need it any more. I understand this is almost unheard of. Maybe it's because, before surgery (he's 13), he'd never had pain medication, but I bet it's just the way he is.

The downside of his sensitivity to meds is that (I was told) during surgery they had to really watch the anesthesia, because it was causing his blood pressure to yo-yo up and down. I think at first they had no idea how little he would need to do the job.

In any case, for some reason his pain has been minimal. We're very fortunate.

Mary Ellen
          Last edited by WNCmom; 12-11-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Mary Ellen,

I'm very happy to hear a great report about Sidney. Sounds like he's doing wonderful. Excellent news that he's doing school work and feeling well enough to keep moving forward. Hopefully being a teenage boy means his has a healthy appetite (don't all teenage boys eat you out of house and home? mine would if I let him) and will continue to give his body the calories he needs to heal and get back to a healthy weight. Lots more well wishes to him.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Mary Ellen, that is really good news! Things will just keep getting better and better.

sharon
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Sidney has done so well. How wonderful that he's had such minimal pain. I wonder why everyone is so different? I want what he's having!

Feed him macadamia nuts. They are wonderful for putting on weight, and are packed full of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals and of course, the good oils. If he munches a handful of these between his frequent meals, he'll regain his weight in no time. (Which is the reason I stay away from the tasty little morsels!)
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

JenniferG, what a great idea! Thanks so much for that tip!

I have no idea why he has no pain--in fact, I've wondered if I should worry about that (I worry about everything else...). I suspect when he starts increasing his activity in a few months his muscles will be "more communicative." Every time he says he is a little stiff, I take that as a good sign that things are repositioning themselves.

M.E.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that Sidney is doing so well. That's wonderful that he hasn't needed much in the way of pain meds.

Congratulations to you all!

Comment

• It's wonderful that Sidney has such little pain. Alexander had very little too and it always amazed me how quickly he stopped all the meds. I think the walking really helps because we took long walks too. I noticed that when he was a little achy, taking a walk would stop any pain and he'd feel better.

Congratulations on his posture improving and that he's having such a great recovery! I'm sure you're feeling more relieved.
                      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

• Hi Mary Ellen,
                        That's incredible news! I'm so glad to hear Sidney is doing really well. Now if my maths is correct, 1 mile = just over 1 and a half kilometres (or 1600 metres -wow!!!), that's amazing. Tahlia is 3 weeks 5 days and i just got back from taking her for a little shopping. She got a little tired after an hour and we came back home but she sits down in between walks and i don't move her too much. I am amazed at how quickly she has progressed. When we came home a week ago, she was sleeping and lying down more often than sitting/standing, but she hasn't had to lie down for about 3 days and is completely off any pain meds now that i am totally amazed at how far she has progressed. I am sure you (like me) are so relieved to see your child come so far so quickly.

Hope he continues to amaze you.

Lisa
                        Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

• Sidney at 3 months post-op

I'm posting on this old thread just to keep the info on Sidney together in case someone facing surgery wants to follow it.

For Sidney's 3-month post-op checkup, we had x-rays done locally and sent up to Shriners in Philadelphia (6-month checkup will be in person). We just got the word today that they look fine. Here at home, Sidney's muscles still haven't caught up with his straight spine (still has a shoulder droop and a slight list to the left), but the surgeon says it takes 6-9 months for those to resolve. I hope they do for Sidney! I have been pretty down about this lately, so it was good to read his email comments. I'll just have to chill out. But I'm so grateful S. is healing well and as far as I can tell he feels great.

He is now allowed to bend to 45 degrees. Riding a bike, attending a school dance, light jogging, and swimming are also allowed now. Most of those aren't likely to happen at this time of year where we live, but there is a dance tomorrow night, so if he wants to go he can. He's also got the okay to throw a frisbee, which I know he really wants to do. And he can stretch now if bending is no more than 45 degrees.

Hard to believe it's been three months. Where did the time go?

Mary Ellen

Comment

• Yes that is hard to believe it has been 3 months! Wow.

It sounds like he is recovering well. I agree that it's too early to worry about the posture thing. It will likely even out.

Best regards,
                            sharon
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Congratulations, Mary Ellen! And especially Sidney!

Marian

Comment

• Mary Ellen,

I was shocked that Katelyns sholder is kicked up on one side and she still has a lean too. I haven't had a chance to talk to her doctor about it but he mentioned it to me just long enough to say that it may or may not fully correct itself but as far as the spine goes the correction is great. I plan to discuss this with him at follow-up. It is very dissapointing to me because I expected it to be completely straight coming out of surgery but I guess I don't understand the process. Katelyn also noticed but I just played up the fact that her spine is straight and she didn't mention it again, but I know she is dissapointed

Sharon

Comment

Working...
                                X