No announcement yet.

Major breakdown- HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wondered. I think a lot of parents don't understand that some kids go sort of hysterical over little things. And it's not because we don't try to stabilize things. They just run the gamut of emotions-- definitely not "even-keeled" kids! Just hang in there and get through the best you can. And if it's any consolation at all, all three of my girls are wonderful young women now. They got through that stage ok-- and I survived to tell the tale! OK, the one still gets emotional easily, but that's just part of a person's personality... and she doesn't "lose" it anymore. So there's hope.

I hope the ice skating thing goes well. That's a nice way to spend time with her friends. And yes, it's a rough time for the whole family. Your son may be feeling pretty resentful. Maybe some other parents out there who've gone through similar situations will have some suggestions. Good luck!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

My two daughters and I were sitting in the orthopod's office listening to report on the new x-rays. When he said Savannah needed surgery, she didn't get upset but her twin, Willow, started crying uncontrollably out of concern for Savannah. In fact she never managed to gather herself the rest of the time in the office. The orthopod was extremely cool about it and never commented; I'm sure he's seen stuff like that before.

Willow finally managed to stop crying sometime later, in the van on the way home. The two girls are very close but I can't say as I've ever seen a reaction like that before out of either one of them. I was glad when Savannah remained calm in the face of it.

I'm hoping that if Willow progresses to needing surgery she will not fall apart given all the time now digesting that possibility and seeing Savannah's great outcome and hearing Savannah saying she was glad she had the surgery. I sincerely hope that.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Well she is definately my Drama Queen of Queens! lol!!! She does nto take well to stuff liek this!! lol!!
        The ice skating went great! A bunch of her friends showed up, and about 5 of them came home to sleep. It was so nice t osee her happy, even for just that little while!! These next few days are going to be heck! My last day of work is Thursday. WE have to go to New Orleans Fri. to do all the pre-admit stuff, and then Monday morning is the big event! YIKES!!!!!!!! I don't know how I am going to get through this! (see where she gets it from )

Comment

You made me laugh! It's going to be ok-- the main thing is it's going to be over SOON!-- and then you can build from there. Kids bounce back quicker, in general, so she'll probably be doing fine fairly soon, but will need to take it easy some... And you'll be the great mom that you are. Don't worry!

I was thinking about you on my way to PT this morning (a 45 minute drive) and thinking it's one week from today-- and wondered how things were. Yes, this is a very hectic time for you-- just know you'll be able to handle it ok.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

dang, I WILL be praying. don't u worry. u can also pm me ANYTIME u would like 2.
            Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
            I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
            My curves were 30 and 31
            I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
            I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
            I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
            I want to meet some new people on this forum!
            Don't be shy...
            Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Having to make "adult" decisions sometimes sucks! Trust me, having had my own surgery & my daughter going through hers, it's the best thing. I think the worst is the sleepless nights at the hospital till they're home, oh those chairs are so comfy, not! You're picking a good time of year to do it, she can take the summer to recoup, no rushing off back to school (I assume your not year round).
              Good Luck,
              Emily

Comment

Thanks guys!! the closer it gets, the worse I get. My poor husband last night had to endure a major breakdown. Thsi sucks so bad! I can't wait until the surgeon is walkign in and telling us it's over and everything went great!!!!

Comment

I am thinking of you and your daughter, hoping you find peace in your heart and mind in the coming days. This has all been so sudden for you both.

Ruth
                  Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Working...
                  X