Seeing Surgeon Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malka:
    We are seeing the Head of Orthopaedics, Dr. Jarvis, at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario.

You are right I am not sure that not doing the surgery is really an option for Esme at this point.

We won't know the result of the bending x-rays until after the pulmonary test is done and we go back in to see him to discuss further where we go from here. She is facing a complete fusion if surgery is done - from about T2 - L4 or L5 so waiting probably won't affect how long the fusion ends up being.

We have always been against doing the surgery - guess that's no secret if you read my posts!! I just hope the doctor isn't telling us what he thinks we want to here - but I kind of doubt that.

Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

esme is in my prayers!

hello!!! God will be with esme and i'll b prayin 4 her!!! best of luck 2 her, and God bless!!! -val
      Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
      I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
      My curves were 30 and 31
      I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
      I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
      I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
      I want to meet some new people on this forum!
      Don't be shy...
      Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

I just wanted to say good luck with everything and I understand what you're going through. A second opinion may be a good idea, not to spoil your good news or anything. I just had surgery about a month ago because I had a large thoracolumbar curve of fifty degrees. My parents were totally against this surgery and tried lots of alternatives like going to see a chiropractor, a TENS unit, etc.; however, he stressed the fact that it would most likely progress throughout my life and I would probably end up needing surgery later on down the road. Recovery tends to be easier when you're younger. Plus, he wasn't thrilled with the fact that it was one large curve that threw my body way out of balance (which I was very self-conscious about and also gave me pain). Anyway, I think he said that the xrays taken right before my surgery showed that my curve had progressed even past fifty degrees a little, but I'm not sure what it was exactly. And if progression in those four months, even though I'm basically skeletally mature, was an indicator of the future then I have no regrets for getting surgery. Anyway, I wish you guys the best of luck with everything!!
        Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Wow, I knwo how you feel. It si so tough! We have decided to go with surgery. Talking with the surgeon, it is much easier on a younger child, plus you have to worry about curves over 60 deg. affecting their organs. The worse the curve the harder to correct it. So, weigh out your options and maybe get yet another opinion if thats what makes you comfortable!! Only you will know what is best!!

Comment

Working...
          X