Daughter in surgery NOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter in surgery NOW

Hi everyone! I just wanted to post & say that my daughter is having her spinal fusion as I write. Right now she is 2 1/2 hours into her surgery. The nurse comes out every hour to give us an update. So far everything is fine!
    Please keep Laura in your prayers.
    Thank you so much,
    Martha
    Martha
    Mother of Laura, Age 19
    Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
    Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
    Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
    Fused T2-L2
    Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
    Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
    Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
    OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Martha, thanks for letting us know. Laura will be in my thoughts today--you, too! Glad to hear all is going well so far.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Lord, please be with Laura and send an angel to watch over her. Touch her with your healing hands. Amen

Comment

Yes, Martha-- I'll be praying for Laura's surgery today-- and for you too, as I know it must be tough sitting in the waiting room... as well as for a relatively quick recovery. Thanks for letting us know. Blessings...
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Martha,
          Thanks for letting us know. You and Laura will most definately be in our thoughts today. Let us know how it went when you can.
          Take care.
          Ramona
          mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
          diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
          also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
          fused T4 to L1

Comment

Hi Martha

This is a difficult time but it went surprisingly fast for me. Before you know it you'll have your sweet daughter at home. I'm sure everything will be fine. Best wishes!

Comment

Best wishes, hope all continues to go well.

Renee

Comment

Hi Martha,

I haven't been on the computer much today until now but I have been thinking of Laura ALL DAY.

I can't wait to hear some good news!

Hugs,
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I don't know you yet as I'm new to the forum but best wishes to you, your family and your daughter. I hope her recovery goes quickly and smoothly.

Theresa (Shae's Mom)

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I just checked Laura's Surgery Blog and the surgery is over and went well!!!

No complications, issues, etc. so far. She did GREAT.

I was thinking of posting the link to the blog but then I figured if Martha wanted to do it, she would have.

However, if anyone would like the linke either PM or e-mail me.

I am SOOO relieved and happy for them!!!
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I'm very happy to hear Laura's surgery went well. Many more wishes and thoughts for a smooth and uneventful recovery.
                      Carmell
                      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I am so glad to hear the surgery went smoothly with no complications. I will be praying for a quick recovery! Keep us posted!
                        Jamie Age 29
                        Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                        2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                        Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                        T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

It's so cool so many people bridge btween spinekids and nsf! I was just looking at the post she made on her surgery, and was wishing her well Hope it continues to go well and I can't wait til Laura can tell all of us on Spinekids all about it
                          Danielle
                          14 Freshwoman
                          December 1st got no head the boston brace
                          Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                          In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                          In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                          We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Thank you for the prayers!

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my post about my daughter's fusion & for all the many prayers that came our way. They sure did help! Everything went very smoothly & without complications. In fact, today is Day 4 Post Op & we were told that Laura is 24 hours ahead of where she should be. She practiced the stairs today & is set to go home tomorrow. The nurses are calling her the "Poster Child of Posterior Spinal Fusion." Again, much thanks for all the support & well wishes for Laura & our family.
                            Martha
                            Mother of Laura, Age 19
                            Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
                            Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
                            Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
                            Fused T2-L2
                            Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
                            Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
                            Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
                            OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Martha:
                              Really glad to hear the surgery went well and your daughter is recovering well.
                              Ruth
                              Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Working...
                              X