No announcement yet.

Nicole's 6-month post op at CHOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Sharon. No, Nicole doesn't look like she has any curves. She is tall, lean and perfectly balanced. Her left shoulder blade sticks out a little, but there is nothing we can do about it. Thank you for your support. I hope I can give you support, as well.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

I'm sorry you were somewhat disappointed with Nicole's appointment. On the positive side, she can return to dance! Although Jamie's and Nicole's fusion length are very similar Nicole is allowed to do a lot more than Jamie was at six months. Jamie wasn't allowed to carry her books/binders, no gym, no riding the bus, etc. I, too, sometimes wish the doctors would all have a similar set of restrictions for the kids, but I know that is impossible.

As for rollercoasters, I'm not sure we should ever allow our surgery kids on them. If you look at the warning sign (at Hersheypark) at the beginning of every rollercoaster, they state that pregnant women, people with back problems and people with heart problems should not ride them. So, should we let them ride them? That's a decision every parent has to make on their own. I allow Jamie to ride the steel rollercoasters but prefer she not ride the wooden coasters and you know Hersheypark has several great wooden coasters! The steel coasters tend to have the better restraint system which come over the shoulder and allow very little movement whereas the wooden coasters only have lap bars which really allow your body to be thrown around.

Correction down to the 20's is awesome! Think of it this way, if she walked into a doctor's office wtih a curve in the 20's, chances are she wouldn't even be braced! Maybe she'll come to terms with it and feel better about it at some point.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thanks, Mary Lou,

Perhaps Nicole is allowed to do all of those things because she has 26 screws supporting her. I agree with you about the rollercoasters. We have to make those decisions with our children. Nicole has a really good head on her shoulders and is not a risk taker so I believe she will always be watching out for her back.
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Melissa,
          I haven't been on here for a while and just read your post and this thread. Congratulations on reaching the 6 month mark. I'm glad you're feeling better about what the Dr. said because it does sound really positive to me. Alexander's curves are in the mid 30 degree range and the scoliosis is still somewhat noticeable because the hemivertebra prevented a complete straightening from being at all possible. But he still looks much better and feels great.

Nicole's restrictions don't sound too severe anymore so hopefully she is able to have more fun and run around more with her friends. At dinner the other night, my family was talking about rollercoasters and I mentioned that I'd read on this forum how rollercoasters are probably never going to be a great idea for Alexander to ride. I suggested that maybe he'll want to always avoid the really fast ones at least and use his normally cautious judgment about the slower ones. He was disappointed but also realistic about not wanting to cause a need for another surgery.

I hope you're having a great time on your vacation.
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
          X