Do's and Don'ts after surgery????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary Lou,

I am not going on the trip. But in the future, we have to get together with the girls and do Dorney or Hershey. She is going May 18th, the same day as Jessie's senior prom.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Del,

So far Elysia and Jamie are the only two people I know who don't have pedicle screws. I'd be curious as to why your doctor didn't use them. For Jamie, her pedicles, the part of the spine where they attach the screws, was too narrow. Since she had both an MRI and CT scan before surgery, we knew this going into surgery so it wasn't a surprise for us.

If you remember or get to see her x-rays, would you find out if they used only hooks? Jamie has hooks and wires.

Glad I could help with the list. Without screws, I would imagine Elysia's doctor will be more cautious like Jamie's doctor.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

That's interesting Mary Lou! I've seen others who at least have the screws at the bottom of the fusion and then hooks above. You've probably mentioned this in previous posts but was Jamie's risser number low?? Maybe that's also got something to do with it??

I've just uploaded Elysia's x-ray - it's not the best as I hung it up at the window to take and the flyscreen is showing through but you can clearly see - no screws. I'll ask about the wire but it doesn't look like it.

cheers
        Del
        Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
        Sydney - Australia
        Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
        Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
        Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
        L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Del,
          I had hooks in my thoracic spine as well as pedicle screws in my lumbar. When I had a revision surgery in December that instrumentation was replaced with pedicle screws in both thoracic and lumbar and now I just have hooks at one location.
          It looks like Elysa got GREAT correction. I'm sure you are both very happy.

Comment

Del,

Nope. Jamie was completely done growing before her surgery. I'll try to put Jamie's x-rays up for all to see.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
            X