Nicole's pre-op at CHOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melissa,

I agree with the others, I'm very pleased with when we decided to do Jamie's surgery. It felt like the right time to do it and it was, because we have never regretted our decision.

In some occasions, however, it is actually better to wait a while. Jamie developed Kyphosis above her fusion, (we were told before surgery that this happens sometimes) and last October Dr. Segal told us he needed to extend her fusion. I knew going into the appointment what he was going to say, because I could see the progression in her spine/neck, but Jamie and I just weren't ready for another surgery. Dr. Segal knew that and he told us he'd see her again in six months and if the Kyphosis had progressed any more, in his opinion it would be time to do another surgery. Well, her April appointment got moved back to July and when he did x-rays, her curve had remained unchanged! I am so glad I went with my gut feeling.

Hang in there.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hey Melissa,

We`re still in Montreal. There was a major incident with one of the subway lines, apparently one or more of the stations is caving in and they have emergency crew blocking off areas Anyway... we`re out today. I`m glad to hear you`re at peace with everything and I guess at some point we all have to let go - this applies to everything in life.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

My daughter's story is similar, she is 12, had curves of 53T and 47L that had rapidly progressed over a year when the doctor said she would have to have surgery and the sooner the better (late Feb of this year). We scheduled surgery for April, and then after seeing another doctor along with talking again with her current doctor decided we could safely wait 6 months until Oct for the surgery. None of us were emotionally prepared for the surgery in April, and all doctors felt that her curves wouldn't really change that much in that period of time. In June her curves had progressed to 61T and 53L, now the doctors said the bottom curve was becoming more fixed...that it would probably need to be fixed also, and I kept second guessing our decision to not have the surgery in April...but clearly we were at the point that we couldn't wait till October--so, we scheduled surgery for Aug 22.

I am happy to say it is now behind us, got back from the hospital Monday night. She was fused from T2 to T11, he chose to leave the lumbar curve alone. She is at risser 0, and he felt it was worth the chance that this curve may still straighten out on its own once the thoracic curve was corrected. Her back really looks great now, but she is leaning. The doctor said she may have to wear a brace for awhile to help retrain her spine in the right direction (we are praying not to go that route), but we won't know till her 3 week followup appt.

I hope everything goes well for you. There is benefit to trying to get as much growth as you can, but you know when you are ready "you are ready", and when you are not, you're not. You have to be at peace with your decision to go forward, don't keep second guessing or looking back at the decisions made in the past (I tried not to do that, but did anyways). Good luck to you.
        Last edited by emma12; 08-29-2007, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your story. When Dr. Rivard in Montreal told us Nicole needed surgery, I knew she needed it. He is the most conservative surgeon I have met. His motto is "I am a surgeon who wants to keep the children from having surgery."

Our first opinion at Shriner's was a surgeon who also said she needed surgery, but didn't think her curves would increase quickly over the next year. Well, thankfully we already had our surgery scheduled with the surgeon at Children's, because her curves are increasing quite rapidly. Dr. Dormans has told us that there is no advantage to waiting for Nicole. The sooner the better. So we are happy she is having it done two weeks from today. When she is straightened out she will probably be 5'7" and she is only 13. She is already over an inch taller than me.
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

surgery

Melissa,

Good luck tomorrow with Nicole's surgery. We will be thinking about you.
            Ann Rairdon
            Mother to 14 year old daughter
            Diagnosed with infantile scoliosis at 6 months (54 degree left thoracic)
            Boston Brace for 5 years.
            Montreal to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard 7/04 to 1/08(spinecor brace and 3 casts)
            surgery with Dr. Clements Oct. 2008 (8 staples and a hybrid rod)
            3 lengthenings with Dr. Samdani
            Scheduled for fusion with Dr. Samdani

Comment

Melissa,

Thinking of you all. Did you go with the family & friends "Team Nicole" T-shirts? Looking forward to hearing that everything went well.

With love

Laura
              UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
              10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
              Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

Thanks everyone, for all of your prayers and warm wishes. Yes, I ordered 4 white shirts with Team Nicole on the top, a picture of her in the middle and "Let's Get it Straight" on the bottom. I am picking them up today. Two are for me and two are for my husband. One of the ones for my husband is a picture of Nicole and him together. He will love that. The other three are of Nicole alone.

I will be saying "Talk to you soon." for now. I have lots to do today including taking Nicole for a haircut and french braid for before the surgery. My husband and I are planning on staying at the hospital the entire time with my Parents keeping an eye on Jessica. Matthew is away at college. The puppy is going to the vet for boarding for the first time. Jake (the older bichon) will stay home.

I appreciate each and every one of you and I could not have made it this far without you. Thank you all so much.

I plan on giving an update some time next week. My best to all of you.

Melissa
                Melissa
                From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

My thoughts and prayers will be with your family tomorrow and in the weeks to come. I hope you get insulted tomorrow in the recovery room!

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Mary Lou's comment about being insulted reminds me of those sitcoms where the woman is giving birth and the husband is very concerned and tries to help....and the woman screams an obscenity at him All kidding aside... I hope everything goes well. Keep smiling.

Canadian eh
                    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Celia,

Thanks for the laugh this morning! Your comment made me think of my labor with my first daughter. I was very relaxed and in "the zone" doing my thing. My husband and mom were both there and had nothing to do, so my husband got bored. He decided to put the bed rail up (just to see how it works) and when he tried to put it down, he couldn't figure out how to do it. Needless to say he started shaking the whole bed while trying to put the rail down. I yelled, rather loudly, I must admit, "DO YOU MIND!!!" He jumped away from the bed with his hands in the air! He never did get the rail down by himself and he did apologize. I can assure you when I was in labor with our second daughter, he didn't touch the bed at all!

Mary Lou

Comment

Melissa,

I know you may not get to see this but I did want to send you our well wishes.

All of our thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK!

HUGS ~ Amanda
                        Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                        Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                        Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                        Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                        Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                        26 Degree Post Op Curve
                        Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                        Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                        YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Melissa,

I will be thinking of you and Nicole tomorrow. Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery!

Renee

Comment

Thinking of Melissa and Nicole and family. Many thoughts and prayers that everything goes smoothly. Anxious to hear an update when possible.
                            Carmell
                            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Melissa

Best wishes tomorrow, will be thinking of you and Nicole.

Comment

Melissa and Nicole,

You will be in our thoughts tomorrow. Wishing for you a speedy and uneventful recovery. Let us know when you can how everything went.

Ramona
                                mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
                                diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
                                also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
                                fused T4 to L1

Comment

Working...
                                X