Is there something wrong with the rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emla Cream

Get a prescription for Emla Cream. It numbs the skin. You leave it on for two hours under plastic wrap or something similar and then you can't feel anything at all. I always have some in the house. I'm a breast cancer survivor, and a wimp, so I always used it for every IV, blood draw, biopsy, etc. It's great that Jessica can donate for Nicole, but just in case you want to try this out, it works. She wouldn't have to look or even feel a thing except the rubber band around her upper arm.

My Andrea is a match for Daniel too, and she wanted to donate for him, but the surgeon said one unit was all he would need. And it's all he needed. He donated it for himself about 2 weeks before his surgery and had no problems.

Daniel had titanium screws and rods. Will Nicole's rods be stainless steel too? There are benefits and drawbacks to both types and I still couldn't tell you which is "better".
    Chris:
    Mom to Jessica (21), Andrea(19), and Daniel (16).
    Daniel had surgery 7/2/07 from T3-L1 to correct three curves, the worst of which was 57 degrees.

Comment

You are a cancer survivor. That is amazing. You have already gone through something extremely trying and challenging before facing your son's surgery. this is our first real challenge as far as health is concerned. I am glad you are okay. I will ask about the cream. See if it is allowed. Our surgeon believes he will need both units. I want Nicole to donate 30 days before so she can have her strength back. Thanks for the advice.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing the "video". The correct really does look good. I hope that as he continues to recover, his body will relax and be even better balanced. How's his appetite? Is he starting to eat better? If he's having problems (still?) with constipation, that can make him not want to eat. Finding foods that are high calorie, but low fat (fatty foods sit longer in your stomach, so you eat less) is a challenge. We deal with this on a daily basis - ugh. But it is do-able.

Take care and many more hugs and wishes for a continued smooth recovery.

Melissa - Very cool about Jessica donatine for Nicole. That's quite a connection they'll have for the rest of their lives. A type of support above and beyond the call. I hope the donations go well for both of them, and that Nicole will only need the minimum amount of blood replaced. She'll do great, I promise.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
        X