Scared Of Surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh man I know what you mean!

I wasn't in any real "big" activities. But I've had scoliosis for a while, and got the brace in freshman year. I didn't wear it a lot...I hated the darned thing. still do.

I'm soooo happy I got surgery tho 'cause I feel more normal and that I can "show off" my scar. hehe.

The downside to the surgery is that you have to wait so long! to do anything. I was in the spring musical last year and I could dance and bend and yaddayadda. I would LOVE to be in it this year (even though it doesn't sound like it will be a good one anyway) but I'm too afraid that I'll hurt my back somehow.

I've only fell on the floor 2 or 3 times after surgery and it scares me everytime. I think i've twisted and bent a couple times more than I should too(don't tell my doctor =) ) but ehh it's not that bad.

But I know what you mean about wanting to do things...'cause there's an amusement park near where I live and this spring, they're going to open a new roller coaster that sounds soo cool. Problem is I can't ride any rollercoasters till this August or so. I mean that's fine, but I feel like I won't get to join in any real activities that my friends go and do. =( on the other hand.. like my mom will remind me I'm sure, "At least your back will be healed and you won't have to worry about it after highschool"

Also, I'm surprised you're in AP classes in sophmore year. I'm a jr. and still not in any AP classes.. next year im just taking 2. =( wish I took more. grrr oh well lol =)

Comment

Surgery...Been There!

Hi...my name's Mary. I'm 20 years old and from a small town in KY, and also 9 years post-op. I was diagnosed with a moderate case of scoliosis at age 11 and was terrified when they told me I would need surgery ASAP. Up until that point I had never had much experience with hospitals except once when I broke my wrist, but surgery is something way more scarier than that. After they told me what they were going to do, I had x-rays and MRIs done, banked some of my own blood at the blood bank, and waited and waited for what seemed like forever until the day finally came. And I have to tell you, even though it starts out really, really scary, its not as bad as it seems. They stuck all kinds of electrodes onto my head and chest, ran IVs, took blood, stuff like that. And then when they wheeled me into the OR they put me to sleep and I woke up, hurting, but feeling relieved. The worst part is the waiting, but once its all done and over with, it gets much easier. I know its scary, but trust me, you'll wake up in the hospital and after you get out, it was about a month of recovery for me but then I felt great! You'll get through it and it will make you a stronger and better person. Best of luck to you

Comment

Working...
      X