No announcement yet.

Surgery date picked w/ questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice renee. We have just notified the school this week and they are well aware of my upcoming surgery. I am going to be getting a home teacher and will be able to return to school half days if needed. I am really excited about this surgery because lately i have been having alot of pain and am hoping this surgery will help with that.
    My name is sierra
    I am 17 years old
    Both my curves are between 55-60 degrees
    I had surgery on March 10th 2006

Post op my curves are 22 on top and 25 on bottom
    I had a selective fussion where they only fussed the top curve hoping the bottom would follow

Comment

What kinds of things did you do before surgery to prepare? (like get special foods for after surgery, buy canes or walkers to walk or anything else you may need) What are somethings that would be good to take to the hosital? Whey should you put your hair in braids? I have heard some people say that because of the rods in your back they hurt when it rains or is cold out, Has anyone expierenced that or can you tell me anything about that? Thanks
      My name is sierra
      I am 17 years old

I had a selective fussion where they only fussed the top curve hoping the bottom would follow

Comment

Anybody know what the waterless shampoo is called and where you can find some?
        My name is sierra
        I am 17 years old

Comment

I found some at CVS pharmacy although we never ended up using it.

Cheryl M
          NCM

Comment

Sierra,

At your age, you shouldn't need a cane/walker or anything like that. Some people have suggested getting one of those grabber things in case you drop something on the floor, but I wouldn't waste the money. I'm sure your mom, dad or someone will be around to help you.

I would suggest taking a nice long shower the night before your surgery. Wash your hair, shave your legs and then maybe braid your hair. You won't be doing any of those things for a while, so enjoy them. I went grocery shopping before Jamie's surgery and bought some of her favorite popsicles, juice, soda, and snacks. She didn't have much of an appetite so I really tried to push puddings, yogurts, ice cream and milkshakes so she was getting something into her because you need to eat to get well.

I wouldn't take too much to the hospital. Take your own sanitary pads (trust me the ones they give you in the hospital are terrible!!!), maybe a magazine or ipod, but Jamie didn't use either, a few changes of clothes, t-shirts, comfy pants, as soon as Jamie's catheter came out, she was in her own clothes, good slippers with grippy things on the bottom, a few snacks for mom and dad so they can still eat something (there was at least one day that Jamie did not want me to leave her sight, so the snacks came in handy that day), some people suggest body pillows for the ride home, e-mail addresses and phone numbers of family/friends and if you have a favorite stuffed animal take it, it can't hurt.

Jamie says that she doesn't feel anything different when it rains or snows.

Any other questions, please ask.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I didn't use alot of the stuff I took for Joe. The things I used the most for him were facial wipes to keep his skin clean and chapstick as your lips can get very dry. He wasn't up for brushing his teeth; the nurses gave us these minty tasting spongy swabs that I used to clean his mouth/teeth with. Also, the weekend before his surgery I tried to keep his diet fairly light, soft foods (like smoothies) and this really helped as he had no constipation issues afterward and the first bm post surgery was not painful (the narcotics you will be on can really constipate you and sometimes the first bm after surgery can be brutal) You will probably be given a stool softener along with your medication (Joe was given Colace), but again, a soft diet beforehand will benefit you. Hope you are doing well, take care

Renee

Comment

Sierra,

Glad Mary Lou remembered the braiding. We did french braid Jamie's hair the night before surgery and it stayed for about 3 days. She has very oily skin so we did need to wash her hair. I am all about smells and she really needed her hair washed but not everyone does. Wish you lived close I could give you the rest of our bottle. Chap stick very important. Jamie really enjoyed those swabs because the narcotics made her mouth so dry. Our ICU nurse gave us some mouthwash and poured it over ice and that was refreshing for Jamie since she still couldn't have anything to eat or drink. That was a neat idea. We did that for several days until she felt like brushing with a toothbrush.

They told us we needed to get a walker for home so we broke our neck and borrowed one. Jamie used on in the hospital with her PT. She didn't use it one bit so glad we didn't use it. Your mom and dad will be there to help you when you are home. Jamie does still use her potty seat but that is just her. We were told to not bend more then 90 degrees at her waist so sitting on our potty was more then 90. Jamie does have a grabber but she uses it since we are back to work. She drops papers and remote controls all the time so she uses it when we are not here.

Hope this helps.

Laura P

Comment

Hey!!
                  I just wanted to give you a response from another 15 year old, who had the surgery on July 20, 2005. I just wanted to answer all of your questions, even though many of them have already been answered.
                  1. I was in the hospital for nine days and I did not miss any school because I had the surgery during the summer. The actual surgery was about 5 hours, but I am sure you won't remember much about that..
                  2. Before my surgery I took a multivitamin and an iron supplement. I also used a breathing device to practice breathing in correctly, so that I would be ready to use it after the surgery. It looks like a tube with three balls, and you have to breathe in hard enough to elevate all three.
                  3. I was hooked up to many different things after the surgery, but I wouldn't worry too much about that.. I was SOO scared of the IVs before the surgery, but because of all the pain meds, they weren't nearly as scary as I imagined.
                  4. I did not eat after the surgery for about a week, but this was just my special case becasuse I was extremely nauseated from the pain medication I was taking, and this caused me to have no appetite whatsoever. Also, I did not take a shower while in the hospital, and I doubt you will want to either, or even be able to because of the incision. (take this from a person who takes 2 showers a day) haha
                  5. The physical therapists will probably come around and help you sit in a chair, stand up, and eventually walk around the hospital with a walker.
                  6. Even though this experience was very challenging, I would do it again in a hearbeat. I know that I have saved myself from future back problems and pain, and this makes it all worthwhile.
                  7. About the braids-- you need them!!!!!! you won't want anyone to mess with your hair when you are in the hospital, and with braids, you can just leave your hair alone for the whole time and not have to worry about it getting to the point that you have to cut it all of because it gets soo matted. Do you have curly or straight hair? -- I have curly hair so it gets knotted more easily that someone who has straight hair.
                  8. I have never heard anything about this business with the pain when it rains or when it is cold out. It is freezing out in NY right now, and I am not having any back pain from the rod. But, I would stay away from heating packs on the rods because I used them for a while, and was not very comfortable.

Here are a few things you will find helpful when you get home:
                  1. a rented hospital bed (if you can)-- this helps you sleep more comfortably
                  2. a raised toilet seat
                  3. shower chair, and rubber shower mat
                  4. A TV!! hahaa, and books, and music (basically many things to keep you busy)
                  5. Invite friends over if you feel up to it, but make sure you are ready for it

A few words of advice from my mom to your parents:
                  If you are planning on sleeping at the hospital for the entire time, make sure you plan for some relief, so that you can get out and take a break from the hospital setting for a little while. You will likely be up all night, and the whole experience can be very exhausting.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK with everything, and feel free to ask me any questions at all. I know how you feel, as I was in your position just a few months ago...
                  -maddie
                  Maddie, 15 years old
                  Scoliosis sugery: July 20, 2005 at The Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC by Dr. Boachie-Adjei

Comment

Working...
                  X