nicole - 1 year check up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary Lou,
    My middle daughter, Beth, just injured her ankle at a Basketball game. She will be out for 3-6 weeks, by then the season is over, bummer. She's my basketball star. I do take her into the Chiropractor every couple of days and they do ultrasound therapy on it to promote healing. So, Beth is out for the season. But, I'd rather have her healed than play injured the rest of the season and cause more damage. You may consider that, they don't do any adjusting, just ultra sound therapy. Any way, I only have one of three basketball players playing this year now. I'm kind of bummed, as I like to watch the girls play ball. Got up this morning and left at 6:15am for a game and got home about 3:30pm. Long but good day.

Comment

Nikki,

Thanks for the advice. Sorry to hear that Beth is out for the season because I know basketball is a big part of your family's life. How's she coping? Hang in there.

Mary Lou

Comment

Nikki, God be with your family. When it rains it poors, but God will prevail! Take care, Kris

Comment

Thank you for your replys. Beth is coping okay. I think she is actually a little relieved this year because she has some much going on this Spring. She and her sister had and engagement in Portland this weekend. They left Friday morning and will be home sometime this afternoon. And they will be making trips to Portland at least every other weekend until mid-June. They belong to a youth assembly that they are state officers in, which requires a lot of travel this time of year. So, hopefully that will take up the slack time she has now. She is also in the process of sewing a new ball gown that she has to have done in three weeks. Good thing there is no school here tomorrow. She can spend the whole day on it.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Nikki

Comment

Jennifer - Since we shared so much before surgery, I knew you'd be able to share in my shock and despair over scoliosis in a second child. Thanks for all the info on Nicole.

Maria - Thanks for the advice about staples. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Mary Lou - Is Jamie doing any better?

To answer your question about Maddie. She started her period about 18 months ago but has only been regular for about 6 months. (I don't think anything is too personal any more!) She has grown a lot in the past 18 months but has started to slow down. She's 5'9" and will be 14 in May. But I'm 5'11" - and will be a whole lot older than that in June! - so she could still have some growing to do. (I started my period in 5th grade, had a 6 inch growth spurt in 6th grade and continued to grow through high school. So I'm not so sure the period thing applies to her gene pool. On the positive side, I do have a slight case of scoliosis - even a little rotation - but was never braced or had surgery and I'm doing okay. I'm hoping the same will be true for her.)

She seems resigned to a brace, but we'll know more after Thursday's appointment. I will definitely post again after the appointment.

Thanks to all for your good thoughts and prayers.

Susan

Comment

Susan,

Jamie's ankle really isn't doing any better. The swelling is down, somewhat. Jamie likes to say that she now has an ankle, but it is about three times the normal size! Her foot does weird things--we can look at it and there isn't any brusing, then she tells me to look at it 10 minutes later, and the top of the foot, right behind her toes and part way up her toes is black and blue! I don't know what to think. I do know that I'm getting impatient waiting for it to heal, but I've been told it can take 3-6 weeks. I'll keep you posted.

With what you've told me about Maddie, I don't even want to guess how much growing she has to do! If you remember, try to make sure the doctor on Thursday x-rays her hand to give you an accurate Risser number, then you'll have a better idea of how much growth she has before deciding on if/when to do surgery if that's what is recommended.

Keep us posted.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi guys, it's Mary Lou. I'm having problems with my account and haven't been able to post for days, so I am using my husband's name.

Here's the latest on Jamie's ankle. I took her to the orthopedic doctor who did her back surgery and he is not happy with her ankle. He says the bone chip could be from a previous injury, but he isn't sure. He says there is still a lot of swelling. He wants her in a cast so he gave her the choice of a regular cast or a removable one and she chose the removable one. She is to wear the cast for 4 weeks and at that point he wants to see her again. She is out of gym for 6 weeks (which will be a total of 9 weeks). He said that if this cast doesn't work, we will be going for an MRI to look at possible tendon damage. From the tone of his voice, I really think he is leaning towards tendon damage. I'll keep you posted!

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou (Sir Jeffrey),
                  Sorry, couldn't help it. I think its cute.

I am glad you took Jamie to the ortho and got some answers. I hope that the cast does the trick. I think those removable casts are nice. At least a person can take a shower/bath without having to wear a plastic bag on their leg, in hopes to keep things dry. The swelling is pretty well down on Beth's ankle. She limps a little, but nothing serious. The doctor said as long as things continue to improve not to worry. But, it's hard not to worry when you have an athlete and she is wanting to do her sports things. I will keep Jaimie in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep us posted.
                  Nikki

Comment

Nikki,

I guess you didn't realize I was married to royalty!! lol

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I too am glad that I took her to the ortho. especially hearing how well Beth's ankle is doing compared to Jamie's.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou . . .have the ortho look at the ankle. Joe had a bad ankle sprain one year after he had his foot surgery for his foot deformity (other ankle was sprained in a skate boarding incident!)

His ortho was VERY conservative about the sprain . . . he wore a cast for 2 weeks and if I remember correctly, an air boot for another 4 weeks. She said that if she didn't treat the sprain aggressively, the ligaments would stretch and he would be prone to re-injure the ankle and would likely need to have surgery to tighten up the ligaments.

I work with PTs now and they treat kids. At any given time, they have at least 2-3 kids who are post ankle sprains who are still having pain, still rolling their ankles . . . none of them were casted or restricted at the onset. Some of them have had subsequent surgeries.

BTW, Joe has never had another incident with that ankle and it has been almost 6 years now! He wore a fabric ankle brace for about 3 years when he was doing some active running/sports activity, but doesn't do that any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X