No announcement yet.

how do you get through the week before surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a addition to Nikki's list. One thing that came in very handy was one of those eye things "don't know correct terminology", that you can freeze. This felt good on Jamie's eyes the first couple of days after surgery. We had access to a freezer in the break room. I just popped it in when it came to room temp. This seemed to help her nausea and her puffy eyes. Hope this helps and good luck. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Laura P.
    Jamie's Mom T-2 to L-1 fusion 12/16/05

Comment

Mibre,
      I prayed constantly the week before surgery and we had massive prayer from our church. I have no doubt that the calmness I felt just before surgery had to be from God because I worry about everything.

I also worried about my daughter getting sick before surgery. My friends would probably say I was neurotic about it. We skipped our traditional Thanksgiving because we usually get together with 50-60 people. The nurse at our pre-op told me that they very rarely cancel for a cold. It has to be deep and in the lungs before they cancel. After surgery they are put on very strong antibiotics......really cleared up the acne.

I pray that God will comfort you as He did me and that the surgery will be successful and that your daughter will heal beautifully and quickly.

Cheryl
      NCM

Comment

A Wonderful Peace for January 4, 2006

Hi. My daughter is 6 and is also having surgery on the 4th. She has a Chiari Malformation that has caused her scoliosis and it will be decompressed.

These past 2 weeks have been pretty normal for us, believe it or not. We are looking at this surgery as an answer to prayer and an end to our "season of scoliosis". I've cried alot and prayed alot. Sent out lots of e-mail updates and have lots of churches lifting us up in prayer. I'm reading an inspirational book and my daughter and I have snuggled every chance we get! My husband has just decided to scoot over and make room for her in our bed :-)!

I've just packed her bag and the nausea is starting to settle in. I've packed some new books and toys for her, things she thinks will help her "heal". I'm gonna get some body pillows and an eye mask. A big bag of M&Ms and some more uplifting books.

My daughter wants to go to school tomorrow and Tuesday, so she can tell everyone about her surgery :-)! She seems to feel in her little spirit that God is working it all out!!

Happy New Year to all!!!

Comment

Thinking of you today and wishing you a great recovery! Just take thing a step at a time and remember to not sweat the small stuff and remember the big picture! I got through my surgery by keeping my sense of perspective and sense of humor.
          Meg is Spinewhine
          31 years old with thoracic curve
          Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
          Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
          http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just to let you know a prayer was sent up for your daughter and yourself today. Also, the 6 year old scheduled for today.

Laura P.

Comment

Mibre and Christle,

Prayers for your children and for your entire families. Hope the surgeries were highly successful and that the recovery will be fast.

Cheryl
              NCM

Comment

We are home! We are now home and my daughter in a great deal of pain. I know to shall pass. I am just so glad the surgery is over. I can not say enough good things about our surgeon, Dr. D'Andrea and Shriner's. Dr. D'Andrea spent ~ one hour talking with us after the surgery and is such a skilled caring doctor. Shriner's Hospital is all about the kids and their healing. Now comes the long part; the recovery. Thank you all for your support on this board.

Comment

Mibre,

Welcome home. We just hit the 3 week mark and this is our best day. We just returned home from our first excursion to Target. Her pain is finally very decreased and we just slept through the night. Let us know if we can help with any info as we were just in your shoes. It is like having a toddler again and just enjoy it. We have laughed alot and get sleep when they do. Have a good night and we let us know if we can help you.

Laura P.

Jamie's mom surgery T-2 to L-1 12/16/05.

Comment

Mibre, Welcome home. So glad you are on the other side now. I felt the same way about Shriners. It's all about kids and their healing. They don't like the kids in any pain. We were very pleased with Dr. Krajbich and Portland Shriners. Crystal is now 5 days from being 10 months post op. I can't believe almost a year has gone by. Things will start improving soon. The sleepless nights will end, and back to normal it will be.

Welcome home again.

Nikki

Comment

mibre,

Welcome to the other side!

I didn't realize your doctor was Dr. D'Andrea. I've never met Dr. D'Andrea, but my daughter was seen by Dr. Betz (Philly Shriner's also) and everyone at that hospital is awesome!!!

Now that you are home, try to get some rest. When your daughter sleeps, you need to sleep also. Parts of the next few weeks may be rough, but know that we're all here for you.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mibre,

Whew...it's over! Congrats! Didn't we tell you the before part was way worse? Hopefully, when you lay your head down on your pillow tonight, you'll get some well-deserved, peaceful slumber. That'll be a first in awhile, right?

And you never know about your daughter's comfort and sleep ability. Mine would be so knocked out by the pain meds that she'd sleep 12 hours a nite.

So glad you're on the "other side." Ann

Comment

Working...
                        X