We have a surgery date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connie,
    It is good to hear how good everyone is doing. We are just right behind youall. It turned out for the best as far as Jamie not going back to church because she ended up getting the stomach bug her sister and I had. She has slept all day and looked awful but it was because she was getting sick. It is a short lived bug but it makes you feel awful. I was hoping she wouldn't get it but she has. She ate tonight so she is already feeling better. She has lost about 8 pounds so far and weighs 100 even. Hopefully that is all she will loose. I would die if she lost 20, I cannot imagine. Hope everyone is doing good. I spoke with her school today and they are looking into getting her a homebound teacher so we are right behind youall.

Prayers to all.
    Laura P.

Comment

• Hello Ladies,

I finally have a (quick) moment to check in, my mom has been here last couple of weeks to help out and the siblings don't go back to school til next week so things have been pretty hectic around here. Joseph is doing good so far, the only thing really bothering him is his left hip area. The same spot that would cause problems before surgery is bothering him more now. We had our 1st checkup on Tues. The x-ray of his back looked good as far as correction. We compared that to the initial x-ray from 1st diagnosis in 9/01 when measurement was (I think) 22T/18L. Anyway, the correction looks comparable to, or better than, what his spine looked like then. Only thing I am not so happy about is shoulder blades/hips still appear somewhat uneven. The rotation wasn't corrected as much as I'd hoped, but if we would have had surgery sooner the rotation wouldn't have gotten to the point it did. His weight is still down, still pale and he tires easily but appetite has been good, no bowel problems. The hospital started the Colace with pain meds immediately after surgery so that helped alot.

Will be done with Lortab by this afternoon and dr. suggested Tylenol during the day and we will start Vicodin at bedtime, we'll see how well Tylenol does with the soreness. Dr. also said he can start back school anytime he feels ready. I had contacted the school to start up home tutor and now they asked for specific date from dr. (now they said they did not want to send tutor if he is only going to be out a couple weeks). I asked dr. office to give a date of Jan. 30th even though I'm sure Joe would go back before then. They "compromised" and gave the school a date of Jan. 19th when Joe should definitely be back at least 1/2 days. Dressing is off and Joe was able to shower by himself last night, a relief for him. There is itchiness around incision, have to keep reminding him not to scratch too close. Still some swelling around tailbone/hip area but that has subsided alot. I just hope that things continue to progress as smoothly and uneventfully as they have so far.

Hope things are going well for all the post-surgery kids and their families, I haven't really had time to keep up with the posts, hopefully next week when things quiet down. Everyone take care and have a great day!

Renee

Comment

• Hi Everyone!

It's so good to hear from everyone.

Briann went to school for an hour on Tuesday and again today to work individually with her math teacher. She has had a homebound teacher since 2 weeks before Christmas and will still be considered homebound until she goes back full time. We're thinking of 1 or 2 classes a day starting next week. We'll just wait until Monday morning and see how she feels. Her math teacher pretty much "caught" her up in those 2 hours. Her Social Studies teacher suggested today that Briann read a section and the she's going to call every afternoon and give her a 5 to 10 minute lecture over the phone. I thought that was incredibly nice.

Briann still gets very tired and stiff.......I can tell how she walks that she is hurting. Her friends at school were so happy to see her that they jumped on her with hugs, etc and three teachers in the hall screamed at them. I bet it was pretty comical but I am glad they're watching out for her.

Ann, sorry to hear about Lizzie's slight setback. I too am so worried about how much to push and how much to spoil. I just keep saying "you know your body so you'll have to say when you've had enough." Have her get out with friends even if it's for a very short time. I can see a tremendous difference in Briann after she's been with friends. She begged to see King Kong with friends one afternnon which was 3 plus hours. Our new cinema has great seats and she said she did great. My best friend was there to make sure she was O.K. and I was waiting by phone to run pick her up.

Laura, So glad Jamie continues to improve.

Connie, how long has Elizabeth had a homebound teacher? I wonder if we started Briann too soon.

Renee, it sounds like Joe is making great progress. Did Joe have thoracoplasty? Briann's dr. refused to do it. Her shoulders are even but one side of her back does stick out father than the other, although much much less than it did. I think that if you weren't looking for it you probably wouldn't even notice.

Have a great day everyone!
        Cheryl
        NCM

Comment

• Hey Gals,

Well, the drill sergeant got to work today! I pushed, pushed, pushed. But what's making me crazy is that she's resisting some of it. This is where I'm baffled, since Liz has always been so very active. She's a senior -- for those of you with kids that age, you know what I mean. You barely see them -- Liz's tennis season is in the fall, from there she would go to cheerleading during the basketball season and then track in the spring. Plus, she played competitive tennis year-round and so was always on the run. Now, however, she's seemingly content to be a lug. Will keep plugging away. Thanks for your advice Nikki... we took the dog for a walk today, in our lovely weather. Ah, Chicago in January.

Liz had on a pair of those elastic waist-bad shorts yesterday and when she was walking across the family room, her older brother said "jeez, Liz drink a milkshake or two, would you?" She is now 5'9" and 114.

So glad to hear Joseph is forging ahead. And sorry to hear Jaime got the dreaded bug. Jeez, the poor kid didn't need that on top of everything else!

Connie & Cheryl -- isn't it great that we're talking about school? It wasn't that long ago that we were bonding over our pre-surgery jitters and here we are ... so much farther along on our mutual journey. Wow, Briann started her homebound tutoring way back before Christmas? She must really be catching up quickly.

It was good to hear from everyone. Take care, all! Ann

Comment

• Ann, Glad you could use the dog suggestion. We live in a very cold climate too. We've had snow since before Thanksgiving and had about two weeks of almost bitter cold. Crystal is 17 1/2, so really understand the resistence thing going on. Sometimes you just have to ignore them and go on with your chores. They eventually get tired of waiting and do things for themselves. If you keep a glass by the sink for her, she can get her own glass of water, etc. I had to resort to that kind of stuff, because Crystal was enjoying being waited on hand and foot. She was back to school at three weeks post op, at her prom at four weeks, and back showing her show sheep at 12 weeks. She was able to show in two major shows this summer and also obtained a job at McDonald's. You can only motivate so much. You need to do for yourself and tell her that you'll do what she needs when you get around to it. And, stall doing what she needs done, as long as it is within her limits, until she does it herself. I so understand the wanting someone else to do things for her.

Just a note on those that have kids that are athletes. The doctor hasn't released Crystal to play basketball or anything yet, and probably won't until April. I was really hoping to get her to watch her middle sister play ball and haven't had any success at it yet. I think it really hurts her inside to even think about watching a game and not being able to play. We had a home game today. When I got there, she told me she was headed home and was going to clean her room. This was the kid that would avoid everything else to play ball. So, don't be surprised if watching their sport is not what they want to do.

Don't worry all these kids will be driving you nuts soon. It will be about time for Spring Fever. Once they figure out they can function without pain, they get extremely hard to slow down. Remember, Crystal jumped over the door to the dishwasher chasing after her dad. She was about 6weeks post op. I sat and cried about it. Now, I just turn the other cheek.

Things will change. Remember you next marker is three months. Big changes occur then.

Nikki
            Last edited by nikyergen; 01-06-2006, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• Ola Chicas!

Finally! Things seem to be quieting down this afternoon - I actually got to read the last few posts without interruption Let's see, to answer Cheryls question: Our dr. never broached the subject of thoracoplasty, he felt he could achieve good enough correction without it. The rotation started to really become noticable around July, and it increased more than the dr. anticipated. And yeah, a regular person probably wouldn't notice; I just look at his back way too much...I just picked up some of his schoolwork this morning, needless to say his enthusiasum is none to high

I totally understand what Ann is saying about the resistance to exercise. Every time I suggest going out for a walk, Joe decides he needs a nap. Part of it is the hip pain, part is being a teenage boy notwanting to be seen walking the neighborhood with his mother so we usually wait for the cover of darkness. Just as well, (some of you may hate me for saying this) but it has been so hot & dry here the last couple of days I'm happy to wait til evening. I also got a chuckle about Ann's milkshake comment as I just finished making a smoothie for Joe, he is definitely enjoying the pampering!

Nikki, I totally relate to your comments regarding Crystal & lack of enthusiasum over things they used to enjoy that they can't do now. Joe will be missing out on so much this year: his high school band is travelling to Australia this summer and will play at the Sydney Opera House, he was doing so well in his bowling league; he got the Coaches Award 5 seasons in a row as well as placing 1st in a local tournament. While in the hospital, he received a letter that he was nominated & invited to participate in the People to People Sports Ambassador Program, to be a representative on one of the bowling teams....his sister went to Disneyland with a friend yesterday and it just broke my heart to hear them talk about what a good time she had and knowing Joe can't do any of those things for a quite a while...guess now I will try and focus on helping him find new activities/hobbies to enjoy until then. Oh, and I've also been meaning to tell you Nikki, how much I enjoy your stories about your kids' antics, makes me feel normal, lol! The dishwasher story gives me chills, because I can picture that scenario all too well!

Well, its been nice catching up a little, hope everyone continues to do well and we'll see what the next month brings! Take care everyone,

Renee

Comment

• Renee,
                Thanks for the update. My Jamie dosn't want to get out either. We have tried for three days to go out and let her look for a new cell phone and by the time we get ready she dosn't feel like going out. So it is good to hear that we arn't the only ones having trouble getting exercise. It is extremely cold today so we are jealous of the hot weather. Hopefully by next week I can start getting her to get out more. Her hip is giving her fits also.
                I too am enjoying hearing Nikki and everyones stories. Thank you all for the wonderful love and support.
                We are working on getting a home bound teacher so we can take our time going back. All of the teachers were working with us but we can't take tests so nothing will change except homebound can get our tests for us. So hopefully this will work out.
                Have a great weekend. Keep up the stories as I realize we are normal.

Thanks
                Laura P.

Comment

• Cheryl, I sent you some private messages. Tell me your thoughts. Kris

Comment

• Good morning everyone. Just wanted to update you all and check in. I picked up a letter from Elizabeth's orthopedic doctor and have a meeting scheduled with the 8th grade counselor on Tuesday afternoon. I plan on discussing the letter which talks about when she can come back and restrictions like the elevator pass, 2 sets of books, extra time in between classes and things like that. I thought it might help to talk to the counselor first and let her lead the discussion between Elizabeth's core teachers. We are planning on Elizabeth going back to school on the 17th starting with half days. I don't know if homebound teaching ends the minute she goes back to the regular classroom or what.

We started the homebound teaching the second week of December I think. The teacher has come out about 4 or 5 times and will probably only have one more visit. I'm just not sure.

Elizabeth did walk for a bit with me the other day but she seems content to lay around the house and watch tv. I don't like that either and keep encouraging her to do things. She still gets tired easily and it seems like her shoulders start hurting sometimes when we are out for a bit. Elizabeth does want to dance again and is upset about losing her leg flexibility and all, but I keep encouraging her to walk and I remind her that by this summer she should be able to get back into her dancing. She wants me to buy something called a theraband to her her keep her leg muscles good.

Stay strong everyone and we will continue to get better. I am anxious to know what the 3 month mark is like since that seems to be another big mile stone. Ann and Cheryl, can you believe that we are almost at 6 weeks post-op? I am so thankful to be this far out.

Laura, hang in there with Jamie and it just gets better and the girls get stronger. I don't think Elizabeth took any pain medication until bedtime last night and then it was ibuprofen, so that is a great thing.

Nikki, it is good that you and Crystal are farther out than we are as it helps to hear how she is doing and see the improvements. I can't believe she went to her prom at 4 weeks out - that is so awesome!

Renee, hang in there with Joseph. I understand the teenage boy thing and about now wanting to be seen out walking with his mother. I have a 17 year old son and I don't think he would be caught with me doing that either. Elizabeth is 14 so she doesn't mind quite as much although it isn't her thing either.

Take care everyone and have a great weekend.

Connie

Comment

• Thanks for the update Connie, good to hear Elizabeth is off pain medication. The Tylenol didn't do so well for Joe yesterday, he would get up for really short periods and need to lay down again and I could tell he wasn't walking at his usual pace. We finally broke down and gave him a Vicodin at 6pm. I almost feel like this is a small step backwards, but this still seems so soon after surgery, my gosh, the steri strips haven't even all fallen off yet. We had asked a nurse that was present during Joe's surgery to take some pictures during the procedure. There are about 3 pictures of Joe's back showing the exposed spine 1 of them after screws were placed also 1 picture just after incision was closed. I am not a squeamish person by any means but I did feel my knees start to buckle as I was standing there in Costco! After seeing that, I can't believe these kids aren't hurting more. It's good to see and realize how well they really are doing.

Was also going to talk about school but I hear people waking up upstairs. Will come back later.

Renee

Comment

• Renee,

This is the way I figure it -- there will be good days and bad. So, don't feel badly if you have to resort to the vicodin. It's really not going backwards -- more like a sidestep! My daughter has been off the pain meds 2-3 weeks and hardly even takes Tylenol now. But last night, she was having a muscle spasm, so I was glad to have the valium on hand.

Wow, can't believe you got those pictures. I AM a squamish person and I'm betting that I couldn't handle that. But then again, I'm the one who passed out after seeing my daughter following her surgery. At first I was fine -- just so relieved to see her -- you all know that feeling. But about 10 minutes later it hit me. What a wimp.

I haven't checked in for awhile and I hope everybody's doing okay. Liz is getting stronger each day. She went out with some friends the other night to Panera Bread. Now, that's progress, huh? I was so relieved that I didn't even worry. They were all going to the basketball game afterward, but she didn't feel like she could tackle that yet. Maybe this weekend. And Connie, I can't help but think that this time of year lends itself to laying around watching TV. Here in Chicago, what else is there to do? I'm starting to see a spark in Lizzie again, so I'm hoping your Elizabeth is feeling perkier soon too. Oh, and I wanted to tell you that the student services lady at our school told me that when Liz returns -- half-days -- that she'll stay on homebound status for until she's solidly back full-time. I think it's to their advantage to do so, academically speaking.

We've got tutors coming and going. As a senior, classes get so specialized that not one person can do it. So, one district employee is handling three classes, but we've also got a French tutor and a math one. No way, no how am I able to help with the calculus. Did I even spell it right?

Take care everyone! Ann

Comment

• Hi everyone. Good to see you all checking in and giving the updates. It really helps to see how far along everyone is and what is going on in the girls' lives.

I went to the school this afternoon and took the letter from our dr. concerning the restrictions and things for when Elizabeth goes back to classes. Right now we are planning on her going back a week from today - the 17th. We have talked about half days, but I work in the mornings and middle school starts at 7:45. By noon she has had more than half of her classes. If she goes in the mornings half day then she would only miss her 2 afternoon classes, but if I wait and take her after I get home at noon then she would miss 4 of her classes. We may just let Elizabeth go on Tuesday and see how she handles the day with the understanding she can call to come home if she gets too tired or starts hurting.

I think I am glad she is still in middle school as the grades are important, but not as crucial as they are in high school with GPA and all. Once she goes back on Tuesday then her homebound services will end - as far as I know. The homebound teacher really doesn't know any more than I do. I am nervous about Elizabeth getting back into the full-time school routine, but I think she is basically ready for it.

Elizabeth has been laying around a lot watching television, but she has started to be more active in doing her school work and working on a project using power point with the computer. She misses being with her friends and the daily routine.

I hope Briann and Lizzie continue to get stronger every day. Has Briann gone back to school yet?

Renee, don't worry about giving Joe the stronger pain meds. It is just one day and one step at a time. I agree with Ann that it isn't a step backwards just sideways. Elizabeth is barely taking anything these days but still occasionally takes the ibuprofen if she needs it. The days will come when Joe needs less and less. It is amazing how well all these kids are doing after going through such trauma to their bodies. Hang in there and just know that you have to follow your instincts with what Joe needs and trust yourself to know what is best for him.

Take care everyone. Laura, I hope Jamie is feeling good these days. I hope you have gotten the homebound teacher set up and things going.

Love, Connie

Comment

• Hello everyone, we have the homebound teacher in the works. Our doctor has approved for her to go back 3/9/06 which is the end of the 9 weeks but feel sure she will be back before then. They were so supportive at our doctors and said "anything we need". We are down to very little pain meds in the day and 2 at night. Yea we are sleeping through the night. What a great feeling. We are going to let her go to church tonight for just a little bit. We are going to make her use a wheel chair just so it dosn't tire her out and she can see everyone longer. I am going back to work next Thurs and Fri. and may go back to my regular hours the next week. I just work 3 days a week. My husband will be with Jamie and we will tag team. So we are doing so much better. Glad to hear everyone else is doing good. I took Jamie to Target yesterday and she lasted about 45 minutes. I was proud that she did that good no help she walked the whole time.
                            Renee, I think Joe is doing wonderful on his pain meds. Our doctor just refilled ours and we are at the three week mark. Jamie is still taking the muscle relaxer but down to one pain med in the day and two at night. Yesterday was our best day yet as she slept through the night and didn't wake up hurting. YEA!
                            Thank you all again for the updates. I read them all just run out of time to update. I don't know where our days go. I think I am better at time management when I am working.
                            Have a good day.
                            Laura P.

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

It is good to hear from all of our post-surgery patients and to know that they are all making steady progress.

Briann is only going to school for math right now. Our quarter also ends on Friday and we have a holiday and teacher workday on Mon/Tues so we're shooting for at least a 1/2 day on Wednesday of next week. She's just going to call me when she's had enough. She has been going to her evening drama class for the last 2 weeks but comes home extremely tired. I think we're trying church again tonight.

We still occasionally have to take a pain pill. She didn't sleep well a few nights in a row and last night I tried giving her 1/2 dose of sominex and a tylenol and she slept great. We still have a few lortabs that she takes only occasionally. I try to remember the tylenol during the day...it just seems to help.

My continued prayers for all of you.

Cheryl
                              NCM

Comment

• I know this isn't the place for this but I just couldn't resist. Ann, how about those Carolina Panthers!!!!

Hope everyone is continuing on the road to a full recovery. We're hoping for 3 or 4 hours at school Wed through Friday this week. Briann does seem to be able to do more and more each week. Our homebound teacher says that once she makes it a full day she'll be off homebound and be counted absent if she misses, so I'm gonna let her go as long as she can but at least pick her up an hour early for the next week or so, just to make sure.

Have a great week everyone!

Cheryl
                                NCM

Comment

Working...
                                X