Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marisa's having a hard time eating?

Hello,
    Marisa's doing well except that she can't keep anything down not even juice!
    She's not even a bit interested in eating or drinking. She hadicapp so you can't force her. Anybody have this problem or any suggestions?
    Love Risa
    Risa the mother of a 11 year old girl. She has CP, Coritcal visual impairment, non verbal, non mobile, total spinal fusion with 4 screws at the base. God's blessing

Hi Risa,
    Surely there's something they can give Marisa to help control the sickness. i'm positive one of the other mums mentioned it but I can't find the post. Is it the meds that are upsetting her (maybe they could be adjusted) or do they think she's got a bug?
    A tip I was given on a previous occasion with a post op Genevieve who was keeping nothing down was to try flat Coke (you just keep stirring it till the bubbles are all gone). Sometimes people can keep it down better even than just water and it has so much in it in the way of sugar and salt etc that it works well as a rehydration fluid. You have to use 'full fat' rather than diet.

Hope she gets over it soon - you must be needing hugs too!

Lorrie

Comment

Hi Risa,

My daughter was very nauseated and felt lousy until she'd had a BM. If Marissa hasn't had one yet, maybe the nurses can try a glycerine suppository to get things moving. If there's nothing coming out, the body doesn't want to let anything in...

Good luck, we're all pulling for you and Marissa!
      Susanna
      ~~~~~~
      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Risa...

What pain medication is Marisa taking? It's the most likely culprit.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Risa, my daughter just had surgery a little over a week ago as well. She had nausea due to the morphine and they added phenegrin(sp) and zantac to her IV. This made all the difference in the world. However she still didn't eat more than a jello cup and a couple of bites of toast in the hospital. Now that we are home she still isn't eating more than a little chicken broth and mandarin oranges but at least isn't dealing with the nausea. She is still taking zantac twice a day. I'm thinking it is the medicine. She is on Oxycontin and roxiset. Good Luck.
          Linda

Comment

Risa
            My Nicole Was Also Feeling Nauseaed They Gave Her Something In Her Iv To Help. She Threw Up Once While Pt Got Her Out Of Bed The Firist Time This Was On Day 4. She Was Only Eating Jello Ice Chips And Some Crackers A Little Ice Cream Too. Hang In Things Will Get Better.
            In My Prayers
            Theresa
            THERESA

Comment

Risa,
              My dtr threw up for weeks after she came home..don't be alarmed though.
              First it was the vicadan in the hospital after they took her off the morphine.. Tiny is right, they can put something in their iv to help.Also if it is the pain medicine upsetting her, we had to change to Tylenol 3(prescription) and that helped alot with the valium.But had to give it to her every 3-4 hours as it is probably not as strong as the vicadan.Note:keep on top of the pain medicine!!We always wrote down when and what she took bc I got zoombied out (from not sleeping much) and it helped everyone to know what she needed next.
              Now if you are already home things maybe better but my dtr has a sensitive stomach and with all that Tylenol and other drugs in her system she was still nauseated and frustrated bc she was ready to finally EAT!! We had to really take it slow(she threw up somedays) and the Dr also called in a prescrip for nausea pills and they helped alot.
              (I will have to dig them out and tell you the name later. )
              Finally little by little and careful on the juices (suggest watered gatorade or something to replenish her eletrolites like pedialite in the baby section at the grocery store.)
              I hope this is of some help to you, I know everyone recovers differently.
              kay
              now 16 yr old daughter
              with worsen 65 degree upper curve
              surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Working...
              X