Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ezra - 11th day post surgery

Hi all,

We were apprehensive about taking Ezra on the plane to Connecticut (we live in NC) this past weekend for his sister's graduation, it was one week after his surgery with Dr. Hey in Raleigh. Friday morning he was in a lot of pain and could hardly get out of bed. But we started feeding him valium and oxycodon and soon he was flying! A 35-minute car ride, two planes, both late, a long and hard connection (never connect through Philly if you can help it), the rental car place and a 45-minute car ride later, we were in New Haven. And Ezra had a great weekend. I kept trying to give him naps when possible and kept the drugs coming and he was really happy and ecstatic he had made the trip.

He's currently on the road driving home with his sister and in an excellent mood. He was able to walk, sleep in the 3rd floor walkup room she found for him, sit in restaurants and concerts etc. only a little more than a week after surgery. Miraculous!

All these kids seem to be so amazing after their surgeries. They are all doing so very well. Glad Erza got to spend time with his sister so soon after surgery. Hope his recovery continues to be so good, which I am sure it will.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Wonderful! Kris

Comment

wow, doing all that 1 week after surgery. I would have him take it easy now. That is alot to be doing 1 week after such a big surgery. My daughter was not up to going out to dinner and concerts 1 week after she was home.
        It's good to hear he is doing so well.

Comment

Cedronella,

First, isn't modern medicine an amzing thing!!! I am so grateful that we live in this time, and our kids 1) Can be saved from a lifetime of disfigurement, or a slow and painful early death, and 2) Can be mobile so soon after surgery.

With that said, please don't be surprised if Ezra totally crashes and burns after you get home. It is pretty likely that he's going to be totally wiped out. It sounds like it's so worth it for him to spend this time with his sister, but please be prepared for a pretty hard relapse post-homecoming.

Congratulations on his remarkable recovery!
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Cedronella, I keep rereading to make sure I'm seeing it right! His recovery is phenomenal. My daughter's surgery was 9 days ago and we're trying to figure out how to get her in the car tomorrow for a drive across town for her post op appt. I'm just amazed, really! Way to go Ezra!
            Linda

Comment

Working...
            X