No announcement yet.

question about bone grafting from hip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mamakay, your daughter had the hip incision. Has she had any pain since that? I also wonder if others out there have much problem after having bone used from the hip. I think my daughter's bone will be taken from her ribs, but I am not sure. I suppose they know more at pre-opt and of course make their final decision during surgery. I have heard of people expressing aggravation with their hip years later. Kris

Comment

Kris, I had bone taken from the hip and it hasn't bothered me at all after the first month or so.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa, thank you, I feel better. Kris

Comment

Kris,
          No real pain to mention of after the first month.
          Like I said if you she keep from aggrevating it by getting in bed opposite side or keep the bandage from rubbing on it in the beggining I think you'll (your dtr) will have good luck w/it too.
          But if she is having the rib removal (medical term?) I think the doctors go ahead and use that bone instead of making a third incision at the hip.My dtr did not have any ribs removed (she had quite a hump if you ask me But it was not brought up and I was not for it in the first place.)She still has a hump but not as big as before.
          Keep us posted! Kay
          now 16 yr old daughter
          with worsen 65 degree upper curve
          surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Hey Susan,
            Good to hear from you. I just check in on the board off and on but Jennifer is better about keeping up w/everyone.
            I am glad Bill is doing so good and being cautious too!
            It is amazing to see how much straighter they are.
            That is one heck of a scar they have but they should be proud if you ask me.They have gone thru more than some people go thru their whole life.
            Ste's appt went well too. (ya those details are hard to pull out of the hubby I know.)
            He said she was fused at the bottom and looked like (from what he could see) the upper part seemed to be doing good too.
            Now for the part I freeze up on. My dtr wanted to know what she could now do.
            1)He told her riding in a motor boat was fine.
            2)Waterslides are ok if they don't have a big drop. ( I guess we'll be deciding "big drop" when I see the slide..
            3)No white water kyaking but around the lake ok.
            4)No jumping off diving boards.
            5)No doing anything behind the boat (sking,etc) She forced him to say when on that and he said maybe the 9 month mark.
            I am still reminding her to be careful but I really don't know how careful she is.He also said come back at 1 year. (Nov)
            Was good to hear from you, check in again here.
            Later, Kay
            now 16 yr old daughter
            with worsen 65 degree upper curve
            surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Working...
            X