Fainting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa,
    Once Nicole feels she can do school, she will do so much better. Getting her back to her peers (sp) helps. Crystal really took off once she was back at school.

I understand the calming down part. I panic everytime Crystal winces. Even if it is over a finger nail. Dumb, huh. I am getting better and I am sure she would like to not hover over her.

I really think Crystal enjoyed today. Her FFA advisor came out and weighed all of our market animals for the girls. They are all on track for their appropriate shows. We were really pleased with Crystal's lamb. He weighed 100 pounds and we still have four weeks to finish feeding him. Minimum weight for him at his show is 100 pounds and the maximum is 140 lbs. So, our goal is to finish him out at about 125 lbs. This could be Crystals next champion lamb. This is going to be a hard one for her to auction off. He is so quiet and tame. It is like he knows that she can't handle any of the naughty things lambs can do. She has him trained to jump in and out of the trailer so no one has to lift him to put him away for her. The other three market lambs will make weight for their shows and the 2 hogs will be perfect for their shows. We were pleased with that. Hogs are hard to finish. They either go under weight or over weight. These projects have been wonderful for Crystal to watch while she was home and couldn't go anywhere. It helped keep her sanity. If nothing else she could go outside and sit in a pen with one of the market animals. The life of a country raised kid.

Give Nicole a hug for me and tell her things will get better once she gets back to school. She will improve leaps and bounds once that happens.

Love and prayers.
    Nikki

Comment

I fainted about 2 days after I left the hopital. I did because I was sleep deprived because I was allergic to the bandage they had, so, if she is complaining of it itching you might want to get a different bandage.

Comment

Hi Christmas
        Thanks For Your Post Nicole Doesn't Have A Bandage Anymore. Is That The Only Time After Surgery You Fainted. She Has Only Felt Faint One More Time Since The Last And Is Doing So Much Better. She May Go Back To School Part Time In A Week. She Has To Wear A Brace And Dosen't Like It Too Much. Shes Been Getting A Small Body Sore Close To Her Incison Which Is Driving Her A Little Crazy.
        Theresa
        THERESA

Comment

Hi Theresa!

Glad Nicole is doing better! I'm sending Alex to school tomorrow for three hours (first time since surgery), I hope all goes well. I am scared to send him! Kids bumping into him, his aid not able to keep him from twisting or running!! I guess I need to "let go and let God" on this one! The base of Alex's incision is dry and cracked and a little scabbed over, I think part of this is due to them aspirating it last week! I don't know if I should put anything on it, or what I would if I could. Any ideas, anybody?

Take care!

Lura

Comment

Hey Lura
            I Would Just Leave It Alone. Make Sure He Doesn't Strach It Open. If You But Something On It I Think It Will Get Soft And Take Longer To Heel. I'm Hoping For Nicole To Go Back Part Time On The 18th Of May. This Week We Start Pt And Then I Will See. She Still Is On Pain Meds At Night And Sometimes During The Day. I'm Scared To Let Go Also But As Less I Let Go Of The Pillow In Case She Faints.
            Theresa
            THERESA

Comment

Hi Lura,

I agree with Theresa. I would leave it alone. Dry and cracked is a heck of a lot better than red and oozing! Maybe you go in the first morning and talk to the kids about his back, and explain he's fragile like glass or a baby, and that no one should bump him or bang into him?

I need to go back into my daughter's school (now this is a private school for gifted chilcren, and here I need to remind them????) tomorrow and talk to them, because she had three incidents today where kids did stuff to her that hurt her. I just sent a nastigram to her head master and all her teachers, as well as the parents of the kids who were rough with her. I think they maybe are a little jealous of the special attention she's been getting. It was nothing terrible, but still it really rattled me...

Anyhow, I totally undertsand your fears.
              Susanna
              ~~~~~~
              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Lura,
                I hope Alex had a good first day back at school. Crystal has been bumped several times and it does happen. Don't panic about it. Generally the bumps they get aren't intentional. When the kids at Crystal's school accidently bump her, they are always extremely sorry they did it. The advantage Crystal has is that she is always aware of her back and keeps a watch out for being bumped. The bumps Crystal has gotten do hurt, but aren't bad enough that they would damage her fusion. It has never been like someone came running down the hall and bowled her over. If you have set the ground rules for Alex, just keep an eye on them. The teachers are generally really good about helping keep these spine kids from being bumped.

One of Crystal's friends grabbed a chair he didn't realize she was getting ready to sit in. You know what happened. Right on the floor on her butt. She teared up and so did he. He felt so bad about the mistake he cried right along with her. I think you will find that most of the things that will happen will be unintentional. I don't worry about it now like I did four weeks ago. Yes, I was concerned if she was okay, but I didn't go blowing in and scolding anyone. It was purely accidental. This kid really watches out for her now. He didn't mean to hurt her and she knew that.

So, use your best judgement. Things do happen and sometimes can't be helped. If someone is down right being mean that is another story all together. But, generally, that isn't the case.

'til later,
                Nikki

Comment

Hi Lura.
                  Hope Alex has a good first day back - and you too! It must be so scary to let him out of your sight. I'm sure school will be careful with him though - from what you said they were terrific before the op so I'm sure they'll keep it up.
                  Lorrie

Comment

Hi girls!

Alex went to school for 3 hours this afternoon. The kids were so cute, they all welcomed him and were so excited to have him back, my heart swelled! He got a little tired, but did good, so back tomorrow afternoon. I was quite nervous leaving him, more than I anticipated! But I think we were both ready for him to get back into some sort of routine.

Is everybody doing well?? I think of all of you so often and hope and pray that everyone is doing wonderfully. The school year is about out, can you believe it?

What is everyone being told about swimming after surgery? They canceled Alex's post op since we were there last weekend and scheduled us 6 months from now. I am a bit upset because I wasn't able to ask post op questions since I was scared to death that Alex had an infection in his spine. I must say that I am not overly impressed with the care coordination or residents at Shriner's Spokane (as you all know already). Any way, give me your thoughts.

Thanks!!

Lura

Comment

Hey Lura
                      So Happy Alex 1st Day Back Went So Well. Everyday Things Are Comimg Back Together. We Go Back To See Nicole Doc In 2 Months Because Of The Brace. Which Is Not Going Very Well She Hates It And I So Do I. Anyway My Doctor Says She Can Walk Only In The Pool At 4 Months. But Gave Us A List Saying At Three Months Recreational Swimming No Driving Or Flip Turns. Shes Very Upset About This We Have A 15x24 Pool In Our Backyard So You See Why. Lura I Would Call And Ask Because Everyone Is Diifferent. We Went To Pt For The First Time Today. She Didn't Do Much Just Massaged Her Incision She So Sentive There. They Iced Her Back Then They Did Some Strengthening Exercise. They Have A Pool So They May Put Her In The Pool In About Two Weeks.
                      Theresa
                      THERESA

Comment

Lura,

I'm glad Alex had a good day in school. The first day you send them back after surgery can be worse than the day we send them off to kindergarten!

Jamie started using the physical therapy pool at three months. I asked her doctor about swimming and he said that was fine at four months. Remember to use tons and tons of sunscreen. With Alex's scar being new, however, I think I would check with the surgeon first.

I'm so glad to hear he is doing well!

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Lura
                          delighted to hear Alex's first day back went so well - and you survived as well !!

Lorrie

Comment

Lura,
                            What a relief. Things at school went well for Alex. So glad to hear that. And, you survived leaving him out of your sight for a few hours. That is hard to do.

'til later,
                            Nikki

Comment

Working...
                            X