Surgery the after effects!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery the after effects!

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=7][COLOR=Navy] Hello, I'm new to the boards and my 12 year old son Has been diagnosed with scoliosis. We found it when he was 5 years old. He has been going to Shriners Hospital every 6 to 4 months every since we found out ( by the way Shriners is great..no bills). He was braced about a year and ½ ago but it didn’t stop the curving. I think the doctors knew they were just waiting for him to go through his growth spurt and he did, even though he’s still growing. He has to have 2 surgeries I one week then the next surgery the following week. What I would like to know is, how long are the patients usually in the hospital and how long is the recovering process? Will he have to be on his stomach for a few weeks ? I don’t know this is new to me and I’m worried to death. He goes to have an MRI on the 25 then we see the doctor on the 28th. She will answer several of my questions then but there is nothing like know from people who has been through it.

Stumped1,
    Welcome to this board. As far as how long your sons recovery will be, I don't know, as my daughter only had a posterior fusion. You did if your son will have to be on his stomach. Surprisingly enough these kids come out of surgery lying on their backs. Shriners has an incredible pain management team and will do everything in their power to keep him comfortable. The biggest thing you will need to do is to keep track of his pain meds. Sometimes the nurses get busy and can get behind on pain meds. It is okay to remind them that the pain meds are due shortly. And if you see your son getting uncomfortable, be sure to let the nurses know.

Anyways, these spine kids sleep on their backs, their sides, and their stomachs if they want.

It is so normal to be worried to death. You are very normal. I didn't sleep for weeks before Crystal's surgery because I was so uptight and worried. But, after Crystal's surgery, all that worry went away. Now I wonder what I was so upset about.

As you think of questions be sure to ask, someone is sure to have a reply for you. I will keep you in my prayers, this is scary to go through.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Welcome to the board.

First, I want to make sure you've done your research to make sure having anterior and posterior fusion surgery is the right answer for your son. He is very young, still, and has several years of growth remaining. Did the surgeon mention how much of his spine will be fused? Does he have kyphosis (forward bend) and scoliosis? What degree of curvature does he have that they are recommending surgery sooner than later? Has he had an MRI before? Does he have congenital scoliosis or idiopathic scoliosis?

Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully you are fully aware of the circumstances and the potential for lack of spine growth after a fusion surgery is done. I mention this because my now 9yr old son (will be 10 in May) had anterior/posterior fusion surgery at 11 months old. His spine is fused from T5-L1. His spine/trunk is MUCH shorter than it should be. His body is disproportionately shorter than his arms and legs. At age 6, he had two vertical, adjustable titanium rods placed to support his spine and keep his chest expanded. He is very healthy and doing well, in spite of his visibly short trunk.

I just wanted to make sure you've covered all the bases and made sure this is the right procedure for your son, at the right time. Every scoliosis patient is different. Continue asking questions. Keep us posted on how the MRI results turn out, and the visit with the docs after.

My best,
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Stumped1,
        Being's you have had the same doctor for your son since he was 5, and he is now 12, I would ask your surgeon all of these questions. I think it is wonderful that you have been able to have the same doctor/facility for 7 years. Your surgeon will know what is best for your son since she has his records for the last 7 years. But, do ask why both posterior and anterior surgeries. And, it looks like to me that you understand that he is just finishing one growth spurt of many still to come. The area that is fused in his back will not grow any longer and could cause him to be a little on the short side. However, with you powerful parenting, his height shouldn't be a problem for him. I am sure your doctor has monitored his growth spurts, since he goes in every 4-6 months to see the doctor.

Do remember as people respond to your questions, we have all had very different experiences. We have all started from different places and ended in different places. No two children are alike and no two surgeries are alike. Some of these children also have other health problems that go along with their scoliosis problems. The information we give you should be considered rather general information, as we are all coming from different perspectives.

Keep us posted on what is going on. Looking forward to hearing about the MRI and then the appointment on the 28th.

'til later,
        Nikki

Comment

Fyi

Hello, thanks for the replys. I do have a web site that has a few pictures of my sons curve. I'm not sure exactly what you would call his curve. I have let the doctor take care of what she thinks needs to be done. I do know that if he doesn't have the surgeries now he will begin to have heart and lung problems. So, surgery is a must at this point. As far as his growing, the doctor took a pelvic xray and somehow with it they can determine how much more growth the spine has to do. They did tell me that he will be well over six feet tall even if he has surgery, that most of his growing will be from the limbs. He is scheduled for a MRI on the 25th then he goes to the Dr. on the 28th, I should know alot more that day. Thanks to all of you.

my address is

http://www.dreamsawaiting.zoomshare.com/0.html

Comment

Stumped1,
            Thank you for sharing your pictures of your son with us. It sounds to me like you have done a lot of your homework about scoliosis. I am like you, and would leave a lot of it to the doctor you have been using for all these years. I can understand the lung problems, as with Crystal's kyphosis, it was really affecting her ability to take a deep breath, then complicate this with severe asthma. Not fun. Crystal's surgery made a world of difference. The only problem we have run into now is that she is in a brace for 8-12 weeks and can't expand her lungs effectively. This has caused her to come down with bronchitis. So now she is on a round of antibiotics. Hopefully she will be feeling soon.

Keep us posted on how things go.

'til later,
            Nikki

Comment

Thanks, for all the comments here. You are welcome to visit my site anytime. I have been very busy with work and being sick. If you have any comments or questions feel free to put them in my message boards. I do try to check it every few days. You know, I wish all this was over with so we could get past the surgery. That's what worries me the most, all it takes is a second to ruin a lifetime.

Comment

Working...
              X