Questions about shiners hospitals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kris,
    I am so glad you are really starting to consider Shriners. I just hate to see parents get strapped down with having to make payments on this medical stuff when there is a source out there and you don't even have to worry about it.

When you call Shriners, ask for a list of spine doctors. Then you can search for them on the internet.

Crystal's doctor is the Chief of Staff at the Portland, OR, Shriners Hospital. So, he was very easy to research.

You may need to explain to Erica that she doesn't get to make this decision on her own. My husband and I choose the doctor and Crystal decided if she wanted the surgery or not. There are just some things they aren't old enough to make a decision on, and how the medical bills get paid is one of them. As my father-in-law always said "They get glad in the same shoes they got mad in."

I do want to prepare you for your appointment at Shriners. There will be lots of kids there with way worse problems than your daughters. However, they are just normal little people and are very open with their experiences. I felt really strange with three girls that are athletes and didn't have any physical disabilities, with the exception of their backs. I soon discovered I wasn't the only one. We found out that a friend of ours, 30 miles from us, had to take her daughter in with the same problem to Shriners. Another athlete and very active young woman. When we were at the hosptial for Crystals pre-op one of the kids she used to show sheep with was there. He is an athlete and had to go in to have some growth plates worked on, because he broke his leg and that was really affecting the way his growth plates worked. Then while Crystal was in the hospital we met numerous more that were there for various of surgeries that were very active children. So, don't let that bother you and explain to your daughter that this hospital treats all kinds of children. Some of them have become friends and we keep in contact with them. Don't back out on Shriners because you may feel that someone else needs them worse. There is plenty of money to do this. They run on the interest from the money they have invested.

If you have time when you go for your appointment, ask one of the Shrine men for a tour of the hospital if you have time. They will gladly take you on a tour, but they are only available for tours Monday through Friday.

If you have specific questions, please ask.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by susannajon
      The shriners in Philly has a couple of the finest scoli surgeons in the country, so if she really wants to go to PA, you will be in great hands. Dr. Betz and Dr. D'Andrea are the ones to see.

Susanna
      Dr Betz performed my surgery in 1999. He did an amazing job ... the staff commented on how wonderful my correction was. They'd rarely seen him take a curve so bad & turn it into something so straight.

He's since pioneered new surgical techniques. Too bad I couldn't have benefitted from those!!

In short, the man is amazing. Shriners hospitals hire the best.

Comment

Working...
      X