Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We leave in a week!! I have more questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lura,

I didn't see your post until today. I've been out with Braydon - he had his 7th rod expansion surgery on Monday. The others have given you very good comments. I'm sure you appreciate them all!

I agree with the part about talking to the pain management team BEFORE the surgery. Very important detail, especially given Alex's communication issues. Ask for the plan in writing so you can make sure the hospital staff follows the plan.

Also, talk to as many people who will be caring for him post-op about his multiple issues. I can't emphasize enough how important it is for them to see the whole picture.

Braydon had a fusion surgery done as an infant. He is fused from T5-L1. This is a big part of the spine, but it is amazing how much mobility he still has. I would imagine with Alex's hypermobility, his mobility issues won't be a big deal. Hopefully I'm right.

Know that you have many people sending our best wishes your way. I hope the surgery is a complete success and the recovery goes as smooth as possible. Remember to keep asking questions! Until you have peace of mind.

My best!
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi Lura,

Don't know if you'll have access to a computer once you get to the hospital so I thought I'd better put last minute good wishes on today. I'll be thinking about you and Alex on Monday and you're in our prayers too.
      I've found in the past that it's better once you get to the hospital and get started - before that it's a bit like standing on the edge of the swimming pool and wondering how cold it is: once you're in you just have to swim. Just remember that you don't have to be Super-mom and don't be too proud to accept absolutely any help that's going!!
      Luv 'n hugs
      Lorrie

Comment

Lorrie,

Hi there! Well, in true fasion, it's 9:30p.m., and I am packing! Actually, at the moment I am at the computer crying like a baby. I know everyone feels like this at this point, but I am so very scared. I think Alex is starting to suspect he's about to encounter some unpleasantness, and in a way I think that is good.

We leave at 6:30 tomorrow morning. Spokane is about a 5 hour drive. I am hoping I've thought of everything I might need.

Well, I'd better dry these tears and kick it in gear! Thank you so much for the kind thoughts and prayers! I'll be chatting again soon!

Lura

Comment

Please that you are all in my thoughts! Many hugs! If you can email me hudkins.fam@verizon.net I'd love to send Alex a little to brighten his days
          SARAH ~Mother of 3~ 11 year old son had a Posterior Spinal Fusion on March 17, 2005. He had a 77*, right thoracic curve, and was fused T4-L1. His curve is now less than 10 degrees* He is doing great!

Comment

Working...
          X