I'm New my 11 yr old has to have surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Risa,

We're from Baltimore, MD, and we had surgery in New York City. Our doctor is Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery. He was wonderful.

Susanna
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Risa,

Your daughter's curve progressed very quickly within a six month period. Was she wearing a brace ?

Celia

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Cecil,
        In Sept, 2004 I noticed Marisa was very uncomfortable ((Marisa has cerebal Palsey, I have to do everything for her. She does not speak, so I have to guess at whats going on with her) so I took her to her therapist at school and some Drs. that are there, thats when we notice a slight curve. She was referred to an Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Scoliosis Surgery. X-rays were taken and she was diag. with scoloisis at that time her curve was 30 degrees and they weren't going to treat her at this time. She was put on Muscle relaxers for the pain she seemed to be in. (Ikept telling them that this was happing very fast I told Teachers, Therapist Clinic Dr's at her school, Scoloisis Dr. and Primary Dr. I kept calling him to get me referrals, and a Pediatric Physical Medicane Dr. Hes the one that put her on Muscle Relaxers. Marisa is serverly hanicapp and since this has happened to her I never knew that most of her classmates has scoloisis some even worse than marisa. The Therapist and Teachers at her school are shocked that they are going to do surgery on her, because they usually don't. Marisa has no health problems like most she healthy and happy she is aware of her surroundings. She can stand assisted. I just feel blessed that she is a canidate for surgery and at the same time feel sad that the other kids are not. I will try to post a picture of her she's our little angel, she blessed our lives so much.
        Risa
        Last edited by Risa; 03-23-2005, 04:55 PM.
        Risa the mother of a 11 year old girl. She has CP, Coritcal visual impairment, non verbal, non mobile, total spinal fusion with 4 screws at the base. God's blessing

Comment

Risa,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have such tremendous respect for you! I had no idea what challenges you were facing with Marisa. I feel so blessed to have a child who is self-sufficient, other than the past month during this surgery. I don't know that I would have the strength to face the cards you have been dealt.

There is no greater representation of maternal love than that of a mother for her disabled child. There is no rest for you. You must be ever vigilant, and forever the child's voice and advocate, and your daughter is incredibly lucky to have you! I think that God and the universe sometimes join souls with their perfect match, and it sounds like Marisa has found the very best person to care for her!

Just to comment on blood donation, my daughter self-donated one unit (she was 110 lbs pre-op), and I donated one as a back-up. She used her own and did not need mine.

My heart goes out to you.
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hello,
            Marisa's surgery date is for May 18th, I asked about donating our blood and she said it would be a $500.00 fee. has any body ever had to pay for donating their own blood for your children? Risa
            Risa the mother of a 11 year old girl. She has CP, Coritcal visual impairment, non verbal, non mobile, total spinal fusion with 4 screws at the base. God's blessing

Comment

We didn't have to pay for Jamie to self donate, but I know it would have cost a ton for myself or my husband to donate and the insurance wouldn't cover us.

Mary Lou

Comment

risa
                i was going to donate for my daughter and there was a fee. I think it was a hundred and something, definitely not $500. That is ridiculous!
                jennifer

Comment

Risa,

Marisa is an absolute angel. The love a parent feels for their child is unconditional. I'm glad she was accepted for the surgery.

Celia

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Risa
                    Hi My name is Theresa My daughter Nicole is having surgery on march 30 at the hospital for special surgery with Dr. Boachie. My husband just donated blood for her surgery and the cost was 139.00 for one pint.

Theresa

P.S. your daughter is beautiful and in my prayers
                    THERESA

Comment

Hello Everybody,
                      Thanks for the sweet remarks I really enjoy reading them Also for the information on the blood, I will be looking into it a little further.Risa

Comment

Risa,

My son is almost two years post surgery. Please let me know if you have specific questions I can answer, or I am available to just listen. My son's surgery was performed at Children's Hospital for King's Daughter's in Norfolk, VA by Dr. Cardelia.

Comment

we'd love to hear how he is doing at two years post op. Most of us here our children just recently went through the surgery so we'd love to hear from someone who is 2 years post op
                          jennifer

Comment

I need help about surgery for my daughter,

First i´m sorry about my english, my mothertongue is spanish. I live in Cuba and had a daughter, who has a congenital Kyphoscoliosis. She has been surgical three times. She needs another spinal surgery because staphicococus Aureus caused failure in the last. I noticed of Shrinners and filled aplication to the one of Montreal where my brother live, but the dr equipment says they cannot do this case. Can you tell me about your Shrinner hospital ? How to contact?

greetings Carlos

Originally posted by nikyergen
                            Risa,
                            We just got home from the Shriners Hospital with our daughter Crystal. She is doing well as can be expected. She isn't running or jogging, but is moving around. The surgery went well. She has two rods in her back and is fused from T2-L2. She has an 88 degree curve, which the doctor got over a 50% correction in. We will find out what her final curve is when she has her check up in April.

My biggest recommendation is to find a surgeon that specializes in pediatric orthopedic surgeries and a hospital that does the same. We had a wonderful experience at Shriners Hospital. They took the scariest day of my life and made it an incredible experience. Their number one concern is the pain management for your child after surgery. They stay hot on it. The nurses feel that with all the medications they have, there is no reason for any child to hurt or be sick from medications.

Ask any questions you want. Someone will reply to you.

Love and prayers to you.

'til later,
                            Nikki

Comment

my experiences

Hi, I just had surgery a month ago and the whole thing is easier than it seems in the long run. I reached about 50 or 49 degrees, so 72 would be time to have a surgery soon. the only difficult part was the first week. then everything just sorta went back to normal. i could sit, stand up, do almost anything. i no longer have any pains except for a little pressure when things touch my back. Everything turned out great and its much better in the longrun bc u dont want to have complications when ur older.

Im sure that everything will go well.
                              I'm 15, and I had surgery June 2, 2005. I do not regret any of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos Alberto
                                First i´m sorry about my english, my mothertongue is spanish. I live in Cuba and had a daughter, who has a congenital Kyphoscoliosis. She has been surgical three times. She needs another spinal surgery because staphicococus Aureus caused failure in the last. I noticed of Shrinners and filled aplication to the one of Montreal where my brother live, but the dr equipment says they cannot do this case. Can you tell me about your Shrinner hospital ? How to contact?

greetings Carlos
                                Carlos,
                                Here are some toll free numbers that may be of help to you. I am sure if you call they can give you the right hospital that can help with your daughter. Good luck. If you need any other help feel free to ask.
                                Tracy

To refer a patient to the St. Louis Shriners Hospital, referring physicians can contact Chief of Staff Perry L. Schoenecker, M.D. Application forms can also be obtained by calling any Shrine Temple or Shrine Club, or one of the toll-free information numbers: in the United States, 1-800-237-5055; or in Canada, 1-800-361-7256.

For emergency burn admissions to one of the Shriners Hospitals that treat burns, referring physicians should telephone the chief of staff at the Shriners Hospital in Boston, Cincinnati, Galveston, or Sacramento and indicate that the patient needs emergency care. Non-emergency admissions of burn patients for reconstructive or plastic surgery can be arranged in the same manner as orthopaedic admissions at the nearest Shriners Hospital for Children.
                                Supporting Shriners Hospitals

To make a donation to Shriners Hospitals for Children, you can send a check, made payable to "Shriners Hospitals for Children," to any of the 22 Shriners Hospitals (see addresses of individual hospitals) or to the Office of Development, International Shrine Headquarters, 2900 Rocky Point Dr., Tampa, FL 33607-1460. To make a donation in memory of or in honor of another individual, just include a note indicating who the donation is in honor of or in memory of, and the name and address of the individual who should receive the acknowledgement.

For more information on how you can help support the mission of Shriners Hospitals, see How you can help.

March 08, 200
                                Wife to Scott, the most incredible man God put on this earth, Mom to Joshua who is 16 1/2, Megan who is 11 with CP, seizure disorder, sleep apnea, coritcal visual impairment, non mobile, non verbal, and scoliosis, but the GREATEST blessing we could of ever hoped for,who had posterior spinal fusion surgery on July 19th, 2005, fused from neck to bottom and has the titanium union rod wired in place. and Jacob 3yrs.....Can't forget our16 mos old golden lab puppy, Molly.....

Comment

Working...
                                X