Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Curves

I am a bit confused.

For almost 4 years my boys were seeing a doctor who always took xrays with the boys in there braces. So the outcome were curves in the 20 to 30 degree range.

Recently, due to the unexpected death of our doctor, we were foced to find a new doctor.

The new doctor takes xrays with the braces off. Additionally, his style of measuring the curves are a bit different. Instead of drawing an line through multiple spine segments, he draws a line tangent to the most displaced spine segment. So now the boys curves are in the 40 to 50 degree range.

How do others doctors out there measure curves ?

You did not say what types of braces they have. If they are in hard braces, measuring them in their braces just shows how well the brace is pushing their spines straight. It doesn't tell you what their curves actually are. You need to get x-rayed out of the braces for that.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Thanks for reply.

I understand the rationale for each approach. I was just wondering what other doctors did. I was also wondering when the people on this site give the curve measurements, is it brace on or brace off.

Oh and by the way they are in hard braces. I was told they are called TLSO braces, but everyone seems to have a different name for their brace depending on where they live.

charlie.

Comment

When I tell people my daughter's measurements, I always say whether it is in or out of the brace. Some of us on this thread have children who wear a Spinecor brace which is totally different from a hard brace. Most doctors measure these kids in the brace because that tells them what the potential could be for them. The Spincor brace actually reduces curves for some.
        I believe most doctors who measure curves in hard braces usually want to know what the curve is doing when not in the brace. Hard braces have the goal of holding curves, not reducing them. Of course initially you want to know that the hard brace will reduce the curve by about 50% while in the brace.

Hope this helps. None of this is gospel. I am not an expert on this by any means. Just trying to help.
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I get mine in and out of my brace. like both at the same time.. =p

but i dont know if that helps.
          i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

Working...
          X